Forum > General discussions > General > Mobile TV popular in bed

12  Next
Author Mobile TV popular in bed
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 07:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
People primarily watch TV via their mobiles in the home, preferably with their morning coffee in the kitchen or in bed before they fall asleep. This was the conclusion of mobile TV consumer testing that Telia conducted in Hammarby sjöstad in Stockholm.

ESATO NEWS

Two-thirds of total mobile TV watching takes place in the home, followed by on the way to work, school, practice or when waiting for someone. The majority of users mainly watch mobile TV in the morning between 7:00-8:00AM and in the evening between 5:00PM-10:00PM. On average, users watch 30 minutes at a time.

“The test shows that there is considerable interest in and demand for mobile TV," says Indra Åsander, head of the private consumer market in TeliaSonera Sweden. “The test users have really appreciated the freedom that comes with having full control over a personal TV. With mobile TV, you no longer need to stress about getting home in time to watch a specific program."

The SVT and TV4 morning programs had the most viewers in mobile TV. News reports, documentaries, entertainment programs and series were also popular among the test participants.

“The demand for news appears to be almost insatiable and mobile TV makes it possible to be quickly updated on the latest news even when on the go," says Indra Åsander.

Most people expect to pay to watch TV via their mobiles and they prefer to pay a fixed monthly fee.

The mobile terminal, picture and sound quality received positive reviews from the test participants. Most were pleasantly surprised by the positive TV-watching experience despite the small screen. However, if there were problems, for example reception difficulties in one of the channels, the users quickly lost interest. They became disappointed and irritated when something did not work and opted to move on to other things.

Telia conducted the mobile TV test with DVB-H technology in cooperation with Nokia. Fifty families in Hammarby sjöstad outside of Stockholm were allowed to borrow a Nokia N92, which has mobile TV reception. Participants had access to 13 TV channels and one radio channel. The test lasted two months and was concluded in the beginning of December. The result from the tests will play an important role in the company’s continued efforts to offer quality services to customers through their mobiles. www.teliasonera.com

[addsig]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:06
That makes sense. Most people do listen to the radio or watch TV before nodding off.

I know I do and in this day and age, you don't want to be far away from a news source.
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:16
Hopefully watching TV on mobiles should become cheaper next year!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:30
its not that expensive now, is it (well apart from that recent topic of 02 Charges £950 for two hours TV on Mobile)

On my aussie Telstra phone I have 12 foxtel (foxtel is oz equivalent of sky) for $12 (£4.50) a month unlimited viewing

the channels are:
- SKY NEWS Business
- SKY NEWS Headlines
- FOX SPORTS News
- CNN
- Fashion TV
- Discovery Mobile
- Disney Channel
- Union (Extreme Sports)
- E! Entertainment
- THE COMEDY CHANNEL
- MTV
- FOX8

I think thats pretty good!

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2006-12-20 08:31 ]
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:34
£4.50's a bargain, wish they would do that here in the UK.
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:36
yeah, my kids watch it on mobile all the time

personally, I watch a large TV with a sleep timer when in bed (that is, if I am watching TV at all, of course ), there is no way I'll be squinting at a small screen like that
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:37
Quote:

On 2006-12-20 09:34:00, PeterKay wrote:

Wow we pay 4.50 pounds too, but for up to 3hrs viewing and upto 12 different channels.
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 09:43
Time to leave the UK

I guess next year we should see more competition in prices here in the UK and thus should be more cheaper for us users.
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 11:21
Just one query... many people have, or can easily get a TV in their bedroom for watching TV in bed - surely that's a cheaper way of doing it, or am I missing the point here?

Mobile TV would be mostly pointless for me as we have 4 TVs in the house, and generally there's nothing on the TV worth rushing home for at the mo! And if there was, there's always the video/DVD recorder, or I could buy the programme/series on DVD then watch it whenever I want, and on a big TV!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 22:11
Quote:

that is for sure a real bargain. More power to the user.
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-20 22:12
Hope UK service providers take note
Red_Rach
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-12-21 06:51
Do people not have tv's in their bedroom?

Saying that though I do always read the latest news on my phone before sleeping which is probably why my GPRS bills are so high, I'm on 02 and I used to be on Voda which has free GPRS
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-21 10:00
Quote:

On 2006-12-21 06:51:40, Red_Rach wrote:
Do people not have tv's in their bedroom?

Mrs won't allow it
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-12-21 10:10
why not?

you got a habit of watching things that you shouldn't watch in bed?

[addsig]
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2006-12-21 10:24
i myself find TV's in room to be out of place.

dont aski why as i cant justify it at all but that jsut my feeling.

fatreg
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi