Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > P990 user reviews

Previous  12
Author P990 user reviews
mobilemodman
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-19 05:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
you probably have the older firmware version as vodafone branded fones take a few more weeks to be accepted for a newer FW via SEUS compared to unbranded fones, the latest FW verision adds about 2mb more RAM, so that should sort your memory issues. Nice review guys, from the looks of it, Im gonna buy myself a P990 in the next few months, i dont like Nokia, and personally dont like how apple are resticting their iphone as far as software is concerned, you cant run 3rd party apps on it. But from the reviews, some people have really bad expereinces with their p990, and some think its an excellent phone, so i'm stuck half way in between making up my mind.
paradoxor
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-02-17 10:58
I have this phone for about a week and here`s my review:

Before update:
-very slow menus
-very slow start
-speed decreases with bigger memory cards
-older alarms often ring (very bad bug)
-ringer settings sometimes are forgoten

After update:
-menus are working better
-the start is still very slow
-didn`t tried the alarm bug
-sound volume is a little higher
-many opened applications don`t slow the phone down so much

General opinion:
-Very good aspect
-very good display
-battery kind of small for a phone this big
-not many applications available yet for the uiq v3
-os kind of unstable. maybe it wasn`t such a good idea for sony ericsson to put this os on theyr most expensive phone
-great sms/email managing
-rss feed and wlan are great ideas for a business phone
-the organiser si not too flexible
-hand writing recognition is very good. still, i recomend using the keyboard, it`s much better and faster.
-business card scanner is not like in the presentation... it`s kind of useless

Things that I haven`t tried yet are video calls, office applications and of much bigger memory cards.

I hope this review helps you in deciding if this phone is suitable for you or not.
If you have the chance, try it for a day or two before buying it.
BrianCool
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-03-09 21:57

I found this phone unlocked at www.exoticphone.com for $489 with a one year warranty. I guess thats it. The price is unbeatable. I should buy it?
mobilemodman
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-03-19 17:39
Well for me:
After thinking about buying one and reading reviews for over 3 months, i finally bought one.

First Impressions: The qwerty keypad is much much smaller than it appears in the pictures u see online, the screen is amazing, people wonder why you ever would want to watch a movie on your fone, well, after i watched half a movie once on my K750 out of bordem, and then was temporarily short sighted for the rest of the day, once you actually play around with the P990, you can actually feel the difference, watching movies on it is awesome!! the video quality is most seductive.

However when i had recieved my phone it was with one of the oldest Firmware versions scince the pre-pre release of the P990, with a Hong Kong generic CDA, after one week of many many restarts and no multitasking capabilities at all, i finally found a way to make my fone usable, I changed my CDA to World generic using this guide ( http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=141900 ) and then updated via SEUS, and voila!!!, my fone is like a completely new device, now i can actually understand the frustration that some users who purchased the P990 last year were experiencing, i mean to get something that is almost useless after waiting for it to realease for over a year, and to top it up spending a huge ammount of hard earned money on it can only be described in one word: @#$%ed. But SE have gone a long way in imporving the phone, and i have felt that first hand after the update, and now the fone is a completely different device to what it was.

Differences between old an new Firmwares: phenominal change is web browsing capabilities, Phone funcionality is around 4x ~5x faster, the icons and display is more clear < seems to me atleast, multitasking has vastly improved, infact i dont even think the phone was capable of multitasking with the old firmware, and last of all usability: improved by 90%!!< no jokes!

And dont make fun of my elite photographic skills! >>

[ This Message was edited by: mobilemodman on 2007-03-19 16:40 ]
>500
Vivaz Black
PM
Posted: 2007-03-20 08:22
@mobilemodman

and thanks to me for getting you the phone
MindStorm
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-04-30 10:32

I've just switched to a Nokia N95, and I'm really satisfied with it - read my N95 review here: http://mobilegathering.wordpress.com/reviews/nokia-n95-review/

When I was writing my N95 review it struck me - if you want to buy a smartphone with WiFi and 3G/UMTS support and a decent camera today you'll most probably ending up in choosing betweeen either the N95 (or a Nokia E-series device) or the P990i! Even if the P990i is almost a year old at the market nowadays, it's still in the top fighting with Nokias newest smartphones. So, I found it interesting to make a quick review for all of those who are thinking about actually purchasing a P990i today.

So here it is - my P990i review. Almost a year late, but still. Click here to read it!:

http://mobilegathering.wordpress.com/reviews/p990i-review/

Owner of a Nokia N95 and Sony Ericsson P990i

[ This Message was edited by: MindStorm on 2007-04-30 09:45 ]
jesal
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 08:44
i got this phone 2 months back and more than happy about the same. nothing seems to be wrong only without the flip its a lil tricky to get used to since i was and still into nokias as well.
kimot01
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-10 08:47
i'm planning to buy this as my secondary phone...
you can always find one if you know where to look

i myself
rockerZ
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-11-01 19:27

On 2007-09-10 08:47:22, kimot01 wrote:
i'm planning to buy this as my secondary phone...

What is your main phone ?
I love my K750 !
I love my N73 Music Edition !
I love my Sony Ericsson K810 !
lhaizza
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-11-23 08:43
I'd also love this phone, Im just not comfortable with the qwerty pad. But still it's one of my choice on SE phones.
Hek7or
K700
PM
Posted: 2008-11-09 20:33
I love my P990... But I would like more resolution screen for internet navigation... QVGA is just too little to be comfortable in web surfing... :S [addsig]
rkalloo
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2010-09-23 07:32
i miss my p990 sooooooooo much!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi