Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > N80 v K800

Author N80 v K800
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-06 06:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
the only real advantage of Nokia phones such as this is the smartphone factor - and to be honest I find the pockpc phone platform has much more variety of software, has better battery consumption than most phones, and has many advantages over any symbian smart phone.

I still believe you need two devices, a phone and a pda, if you need both imaging, walkman and smartphone functions. Imaging and walkman taken care of by the phone, so the smartphone doesn't need a camera - you can use for example M600, or W950. If you need an all in one then obviously the K800 is an inaproppriate comparison.

But if you don't need smartphone functions, then why buy a phone like N80 with crap battery? You can definitely compare phones such as N80 with K800, as long as you are doing Camera/Phone/audio comparisons, the K800 comes out on top.

If you wanna talk smartphone abilities then sure compare the N80 against P990, M600, W950 or even the XDA mini. I'll still take either of the three latter choices over the N80. Or either the P990 or XDA mini if I needed an all in one solution.

You can compare any phone against any phone - it all depends on your criteria for a useful phone.

DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-07 06:30
Quote:

On 2006-08-06 06:11:14, mario2002 wrote:
1000mah batt. is going to come within a month,it won't be a Nokia thou but I don't mind. I will use it mostly as a server while within wifi range and as a gps with a 'bluenext' gps addon. You see I am flying as a hobby and the N80 has the best screen around. (try reading your cell in bright sunlight with sunglasses/uv-visor on) . With a N80 configured as a server on EDGE anyone,anywhere in the world can see on google earth in real time (second by second) where I am and where I have landed (recovery - fly paragliders) the Edge connection is fast and stable enough and also has enough range to do something like this. Also I will use it as a aac++ player while I fly and take a pic now and then. Thanks for your opinion Buddy Greetings from a sunny South Africa. Mario.

yes.. the the rest of the s60's can do the same but actaully have battery..

also the n73, e61 and k800 perform equally as well in the sunlight
Shaolinmonk on HOFO Official PHONE JUNKIE
My P1i Review
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=152437&start=0
Dell
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-07 15:22
Alright lads,

Re. original question, I had a silver Nokia N80 from Carphone Warehouse (on O2) some 8 weeks ago (the K800 was not out then of course) once my contract on the K750 was up. Fancied a bit of a change as have had SE's every year since my trusty old grey T68.
My initial one seemed to suffer the memory card not being recognised (Kingston 1GB), but they swapped that phone within the first few days and the second is/was fine.
First impressions after recalibrating brain for predictive texts on Nokia's were very good. The menu system being totally customisable, even juggling the icons about is very cool. WiFi is excellent although the only hotspot I really used was at home and then I'd use my laptop anyway, so cool, but I would hardly surf there on a mobile fone. However, the option of full screen browser on the mobile is fantastic and others should take note of this feature.
Camera for a 3MP was only just OK. No auto-focus as on the SE's really shows up here and as usual the nonsense LED excuse for a "flash".
All in all, does everything you want it too and then some, and I really, really liked it being a techy IT bloke, BUT, battery life was abismal. With regular use after charging over night, the first day is fine, second day by mid to late afternoon it was dying. If I was to be going out that 2nd evening straight from work, it would be dead phone time. Never got this with any of my SE's and mean't it had to be charged every night even if it still had 3/4 charge (apparently) to be sure of nop dead fone syndrome.
Next pain was menu latency. I found it very slow to do anything, even if just going into creating a new txt message. Not by much, but enough to annoy slightly. This was priobably not helped in that however careful I was, there was always about 3 apps running such as Contacts, Call List and so on as well as Standby. I would regularly be closing unused applications as a call had come in etc, leaving them running in the background no doubt using more battery/CPU/memory power and so on.
Another thing was the keylock or more specifically lack of automatic keylock. Such is the design of the slider and the chunkiness of the handset, put it in your pocket, move about a bit and it maybe just enough to unlock it without you realising and even dialling the last number etc. Would have been nice if the keylock release could be selectively seperated from the slider if required.
Anyway, phoned Carphone Warehouse after having the phone for some 6 weeks wondering if they would do anything. TBH, did not expect anything as well out of the 14 day swap thing. Fantastically, after outlining the above to the Loyalty Dept, they said; "What would you like instead?"
Well, the K800 had now been released and of course that was the only alternative. Next day delivery and I had a K800 in my hand.
Bonus? Not half. I left the N80 boxed up as new with my office post room for the exchange when the courier delivered the K800. Except the courier had no instruction to collect and so did not.
This is of course is a bit of a result, as I now have both a K800 AND an N80 unlocked and unbranded for all Nets as on O2.
Anyway, K800. Much more pocketable, the camera is fantastic for a cameraphone (proper Xenon flash and not a rubbish LED) the lens cover is orientated so it does not keep opening whenever you take it out of your pocket, battery life / behavior is as expected, brilliant and, of course, it locks itself. Yayy!
Only one bug with the K800 so far as I can see. That is if I am using the focus-lock on a subject and hold it for too long without fully pressing the shutter button to take the pic, it has on a few occasions suddenly white screened and rebooted itself. It's the only issue with it and will surely be patched with the first SE Update.
Only one gripe with the phone package is the complete omission of a memory card. Still, a 1GB M2 card only costs in the region of £40 (http://www.mobymemory.com/Micro-M2.asp) so it hardly matters really as the phone is free normally with a new contract.
It's not as "wow" with what it does as an N80, but what it does do is done really, really well and everything it does and the way it does it has been R&D'd well. It's not lacking in anything (other than it now doesn't have a handy torch, due of course to it having a proper xenon flash). It doesn't have WiFi either, but after playing with that feature on the N80 @ home, it really does not matter that much IMO.

My recommendation, bearing in mind I own BOTH handsets, lol, is the one in my pocket right now and not in a drawer at home. Get a K800i

Fact. End.

[ This Message was edited by: Dell on 2006-08-07 15:36 ]
jasond
T65 blue
PM
Posted: 2006-08-07 15:35
Nice account, Dell!
Spawn
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-08-07 15:57
Dell

Spot on with your account, i had the same problems with my n80..so much so that its put me off nokia for life. I have the 6680 whcih is based on the same o/s as the n80 and thats dog slow...again its gathering dust in my drawer currently.
I only had my n80 2 days before i sent it back for a refund, really put me off nokias to be honest and i dont know why i bothered going from SE to nokia in the first place.
I ended up replacing it with the SE W810i and i love that phone but now im replacing it with a new k800i that i pciked up from ebay for a good price...£240 sim free. So will be giving the w810i to my mum who quite likes it herself.

As for the n80??, lovely phone with great features but so slow and buggy that it makes baby jesus cry. Im now waiting for my p990i which has more or less the same features to make an appearance, that might be buggy as well but then ive had the p800/900/910 phones so i know they arent perfect but then neither are they as bad as the n80.
scotchgitt
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-07 22:30
Well i have been using the k800 for a few days now and neither me or mrs gitt want it. Relly poor screen resolution (but I have been spoilt by the N80), no flash for best pic,actually quite an ugly handset, no wifi or decent video quality - obviously, but really nice picture quality, best pic is ok but nothing to write home about.

As for the music player, from what I had read I was expecting something with album art, next track and more but it was even less use than the N80s. Very poor.
Going on ebay tonight unless someone want a sim free k800i, just out the box for £200.

I can happily live with the 1 day battery of the N80. The early k750s original firmware and battery were poor so heres hoping nokia improve the last 2 minor issues on the n80. If they don't I can happily live with this for 12 months until the next best thing comes along. It was a free upgrade pm just got to pick a replacement now.

ps, what is the p990 all about, 2mp camera????that is so 15 months ao!!! what are they thinking.

[ This Message was edited by: scotchgitt on 2006-08-07 22:02 ]
jack77777
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-08-07 22:44
i think it should be nokia n70 vs se k800i as they are in similar class, the n80 is way ahead of any phone apart from the n93
15% online - Sony Ericsson - "4 lyf"
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-07 23:40
Imo a symbian fone already cos of the os itself is advanced next to k8.

This message was posted from a WAP device

mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-08 03:45
The K800i is a nice device but the display ?!? No matter who says what - its nowere near the N80's quality. Flash is nice but it won't help much if I take scenery pictures 2000feet above ground. Worst thing is - not been a 'smart phone' I don't know how to configure it as a server Yes the batt is bad in the N80, but I never fly more then a few hours at a time - won't be a issue. The mp3 player sounded just fine with the demo model I'checked. For me the screen did it. I don't know if it is my eyes or what, but I have problems reading cell displays in bright sun light. The N80's screen is 'barely' acceptable, better then the others thou and that includes the k800i (by some margin). I wonder if there is a symbian phone (server configuration) with a better screen then the N80 and just as compact ? Greetings from South Africa. Mario
Dell
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 10:25
I'd agree with the N80's screen being leaps & bounds above the K800's. And how much more the N80 does.
But, for me, I want a phone that does that does phone stuff quickly and well.
Personally, I got a Canon Digital Ixus 750 for taking decent pictures and a 30GB Video iPod (tracks encoded @ 256kbs) with Ultimate Ears headphones for my tunes. Even though phones are now 3MP+, the quality of shot is waaayy off what dedicated cameras produce, even at comparible resolutions. Until a phone can be developed that is small in size, can better an iPod (with decent headphones) and that can match/better a proper digital camera for picture quality, phones like the K800 are perfect for me.

[ This Message was edited by: Dell on 2006-08-08 09:28 ]
scotchgitt
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 12:11
Quote:

On 2006-08-08 03:45:20, mario2002 wrote:

won't help much if I take scenery pictures 2000feet above ground.

Is that legal? Surely is driving with a phone is illegal then flying must be even more illegal? Well in the UK I hope it would be?
Proud owner of the K750i-converted to w800 but now flogged on ebay and have the superb N80.
mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-08 14:24
Yeah, on first sight one might think flying is more 'demanding' as driving - actualy is the other way around. I got my glider (sail plane) licence with 16 and my PPL (Privat Pilot Licence) while 17 and my drivers just as I turned 18. I remember all thous years back (23) when my dad used to drive me (17y) and my 15y old brother to a nearby airfield where I would fly a old cessna which dad co-owned. People used to spot me for not been allowed to drive while I've already had my ppl. One can fly at altitude with closed eyes for a minute or more just by 'gut feeling' at 100+ miles/hour. I definitely won't drive with my eyes close for even 10sec at half the speed And paragliders are very slow - you should try a tandem flight once and will see what I mean. Sorry for getting of the subject - my long term memory just had a flash-back. I really hope the P990i's screen will be just as good as the N80's. You see I like symbian with big & bright screens. The N73 fits nicely in between thou (P990i / N80) I might give it a look too when it'll be available in my country. Greetings from South Africa. Mario
DragonEye
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-08 15:41
Quote:

On 2006-08-08 14:24:08, mario2002 wrote:
I really hope the P990i's screen will be just as good as the N80's. You see I like symbian with big & bright screens. The N73 fits nicely in between thou (P990i / N80) I might give it a look too when it'll be available in my country. Greetings from South Africa. Mario

the p990 will not be better in the sunlight.. it's probably very similar to the m600 screen.

in terms of resolution/quality the n80 is definitely the best.. but having compared them all in the sunlight the n80/n73/k800/e61 all perform the same... meaning highly visable
zootzoot
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-08-10 23:07
Hi all
i have just sold my n80 and bought a k800i.
my n80 was the worst nokia i have ever purchased and i have had a few nokia's in my time. the battery would not last me a day, the camera though was very good.

Traxxx
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-29 19:15
Fyi, Nokia has released a software that ended all bugs and slow processing of the N80. They now have version V4.0623.0.041, the phone's performance has "greatly" improved from its last version V3. I mean..... greatly. Battery life improved a bit well too.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi