Esato

Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review

Author Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-22 18:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Its a shame i cannot get an iRiver AFT-100 all that easily. I'll have a look on ebay.

Apparently they're highly rated.
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-23 01:19
thanks for that excellent review danjayh, top stuff.

It pretty much sounds much like my experience with the tunecast, useable but given certain constraints. Fortunantely I have an fm transmitter installed in the car inline with my car radio rf input, and it completely overpowers any radio station (even strong ones) with a crystal clear signal from the connected audio device, so I never have the slightest issue when in the car. It's f**king brilliant actually, best $100 I ever spent.

My need for the mmr-60 is to have an fm transmitter option that I can carry around with the hpm-70, bluetooth dongle and spare 256MB memory stick that I like to have available. Essentially, other than the car, the only other places I use an fm transmitter are in spontaneous moments example, at a friends, in someone else's car etc. These moments are hard to predict, so I need something that is smaller than the tunecast, doesn't require spare batteries to be carried with, and can clip onto the end of the phone so that I don't have two miles of cables and two separate devices to hold.

You're advice re: turn off the light tallies with another review. As nice as flashing lights are, in this case the candy ain't worth the cavity

SE really screwed up with this device on so many levels, but it seems it does work atleast. Although not to etaab's standards bless him! The iriver sounds like an option for those who need a more powerful transmitter. I have an fm transmitter in kit form I built some years ago, and it had the ability to dial up the power output - I never had any reception problems with that, and it had a workable range of over 30 metres. But it's in a massive box about 5 times the size of the tunecast so I don't use it as a portable transmitter.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-23 19:56
Quote:

On 2006-02-23 01:19:43, max_wedge wrote:

SE really screwed up with this device on so many levels, but it seems it does work atleast. Although not to etaab's standards

Not quite, considering i have never had my hands on a MMR-60 yet, so i cannot really comment on my own standards of how a MMR-60 works in comparison.

I'll say one thing however, on my way home tonight i connected my Tunecast to the cigarette lighter, and connected it to my mates W900i and HPM-80 combination, and played some music from his phone. The quality was superb !

So, i've decided to buy myself a proper 3.5mm adaptor for my K750i, instead of the paltry 5cm 3.5mm adaptor i'd been using previously, Hopefully, it'll work with the Tunecast just as good as his W900i did.

[ This Message was edited by: etaab on 2006-02-23 18:56 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-27 15:37
So what you are saying is, your disappointment with fm transmitters was due to reliance on a cheap piece of equipment, not made by either Belkin or Sony Ericsson? Interesting...

btw, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that the belkin transmitters work, the tunecast is probably from some competent company snaffled up by belkin

The HPM-70 will almost certainly be as good as the HPM-80. Mine certainly works fine and when reception is good through the tunecast the audio is crystal clear.

The MMC-60 is even better than the HPM-70. I have a review on it in the review threads. The mmc-60 really blew me away. I plan to use it in the car (my in car transmitter has rca inputs).

On the mmr-60 front, since about the time of the recall of mmr-60's in Brisbane (we are a month or so behind Europe, US etc), there seem to have been more positive reports of the mmr-60 and less neagative. However there's only been 6-7 user reviews (on esato) that I've seen. The two recent ones were both positive (by positive I mean reception was reported to be adequate or better). May just be co-incidence, or perhaps SE fixed a quality control problem?

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-02-27 14:44 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-28 21:18
Well, i finally got round to buying an adaptor, and it works.

Not perfect, and the sound isnt anywhere near as good as CD quality, but its definitely listenable.

I still dont trust FM transmitters at all, but they are workable sometimes.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-01 23:29
which adapter did you buy? I reckon if you try your mates hpm-80 on your K750 it should give the same results - if it does then I would also expect the hpm-70 to deliver as well. I don't think it's only the antenna length but the audio connection quality as well that's an issue with aftermarket adapters.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HPM-70 can deliver clearer audio than most aftermarket adapter's.

But this is what you really need etaab (atleast for the car). Trust me, this solution works Metal to metal RF connection - no air bridge to cross. To make it even better, pair it with the mmc-60.

http://www.strathfield.com.au/ViewProduct.asp?ProdID=407#

No batteries to worry about either (power by the cars electrics). Just one plug (mmc-60 into phone to worry about). If you want, you can even use the SE car charger to charge the phone and have the mmc-60 plugged in both at the same time.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-03-01 22:42 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-03-02 18:17
Nah i dont think i cant be bothered to fiddle around further anymore.

Besides, this fm transmitter works for the most part now, so it should be ok for now.

Btw, the 3.5mm extention and fast port to 3.5mm adaptor i used were unbranded, im not sure who made them.
ThePuffin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-15 12:29
Has anyone in the UK bought an MMR 60, and had any luck with it. If so where did you get it? I saw them on the SE US site and are thinking of buying one. What about the ones on Ebay? Any advice?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-15 13:02
Quote:

On 2006-03-02 18:17:52, etaab wrote:
Nah i dont think i cant be bothered to fiddle around further anymore.

Besides, this fm transmitter works for the most part now, so it should be ok for now.

Btw, the 3.5mm extention and fast port to 3.5mm adaptor i used were unbranded, im not sure who made them.

I can relate to that. Working on cars is something I only do these days when I really need to. Anything painful (like changing a clutch on a Peugeot 405 - which I had done just recently - textbook 8 hours labour compared to 2 hours max. on an old ford) I pay the experts to handle.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-03-15 14:11
The MMR-60 is available in the UK from here:

http://www.blueunplugged.com/News.aspx?article=33
BooRad
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-04-05 13:10
Any Aussies out there who bought the MMR-60 FM Transmitter after the product recall? Has the quality improved? I'm thinking about buying one but would like to know if there have been any new and positive reviews for this product.

[ This Message was edited by: BooRad on 2006-04-05 12:11 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-04-05 19:27
I just bit the bullet..

.. and bought a new car CD player.

To hell with FM transmitters, im now playing all my mp3's streamed from a CD.
absinthebri
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-04-11 19:04
Can anyone tell me if the MMR-60 broadcasts in stereo or mono? Thanks. [addsig]
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-04-11 19:38
Anyone know the cheapest place to buy one of these?
OBEY GAINT
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-11 19:40
eBay i suggest
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi