Esato

Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review

Author Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-11 17:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Perhaps try it (the mmr) with a charger plugged in?
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-11 20:58
I dont think it works like that..
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-12 13:07
etaab, it's true the mmr60 can't be improved that way, though it should be relatively easy to mod an external antenna onto the thing.

Still it's all a bit pointless for something that should work as advertised. I guess if it works as my tunecast does, then atleast I'll be better off (since the mmr60 connects direct and is more convenient than the tunecast). I don't find my tunecast does that little ten second thing, once I get a reasonable signal it's stable. Knowing belkin quality control I wouldn't be surprised if your tunecast was one of the frequent lemons - mine was by pure luck a working one.

I am going to buy the mmr60, can always get my money back if it's a no go. Though from reports I won't be holding my breath...

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-12 14:33
Well, the place i bought the Tunecast from (blueunplugged.com) tested it and said it was working properly, and refused to give me a refund (dont shop with them people). I'd have taken action against them, because under UK law they cannot refuse to refund but i just didnt have the time or effort to go into a dispute over something so small.

This is the third Belkin product ive ever owned, and they've all been crap. Ive decided never to buy anything from Belkin ever again.

Regarding the MMR-60, im still not going to take the risk, i'd rather just buy a new car stereo.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-12 16:32
hehe I completely understand, I'm just masochistic that way!! But it's not high on my priority, lot of other shit to buy first

And I'm pretty much in the "won't buy belkin" camp too. Have had two failures out of three products of theirs I've purchased (although they replaced one of those with a working version - the bt dongle)

etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 18:46
Well, i bought a £3 extension cable for 3.5mm jacks, 1.5m in length today.

I'll give it a try later in my car with my Tunecast, and see how it fairs against the older 3 inch only cable.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-14 01:18
That will be interesting. Though the 10 second thing sounds like some sort of interference - a longer aerial may amplify it!!

Good luck, hope you can get some sense out of that tunecast.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-14 15:25
Well, it worked.

The reception was still crackly, and there was some background noise, but once the volume of the music was turned up it was quite good.

I even plugged in my PSP and played Pro Evo 5 soccer through my cars stereo speakers.

It looks a bit crap in the car however, having a phone / PSP, Tunecast, car adaptor, 1.5m cable and in the case of the phone, a 3.5mm adaptor - lots of wires everywhere !

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-15 01:49
somehow "wireless" never seems to be actually wire free

Still it's sort of good news. That gells more with my experience of the tunecast. Not brilliant, but works.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-15 17:54
Exactly, wireless my bum.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-15 17:57
to be honest though, this is based on an analogue system. its neever going to be as good as a digital transmission.

i look forward to the introduction of Digital Audio Broadcast (DAB) technology into the next MMR-XX...
(wishful thinking) [addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-15 18:15
I think even then it would suffer major reception issues.

Im no radio expert, but digital signals tend to be more unreliable if theres any sort of interferrence.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-15 18:18
Digital radio is as good as the difference between digital and anologue TV

it would work over short distances better too. [addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-15 18:26
When i had digital tv & radio installed in my home 3 years ago, the engineer told me digital signals need more power for the same reception as an analogue service, or you need to be closer to the transmitter.

Bah, who knows, its not like we'll see a digital MMR-60 anytime soon.
dgilmartin
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-17 11:40
I received my MMR-60 today. I'm actually very pleased as it works extremely well! I plugged it in to the fastport and after a second or two it lights up and says "MMR-60: Transmit on 107.9MHZ" which is a perfect as I get completely no radio station signals on that frequency. So I tuned in my car radio and perfect sound immediately, although if you move the phone there can be a little background noise, but surprisingly very little. One issue is that you have to have the volume on the media player set to the middle or less level as anything above this creates distorted sound. This isn't really a problem as it sounds as loud as a normal radio station, but of a higher quality. I haven't tested it from a distance of more than two metres from the aerial, but why would you need to have it further away anyway? The final issue is that it doesn't have the fastport connector on the bottom for charging, but doesn't seem to be a huge problem as i've been messing around with it for the past hour and the battery level hasn't been affected.

Well although this is a short and sweet review I'm glad to say its better than I expected and it works in my car so its a huge bonus.
All the Way! Looking for a w705 PM me! Arizona
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi