Forum > General discussions > Product reviews > Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review

Author Sony Ericsson MMR-60 Review
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-02 13:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

4) Why can't you take pictures with it? What happens when you open the shutter?

You can use the camera while the MMR60 is attached but the pictures that have been posted were taken with the phone that the MMr60 would be attached to so pictures can be taken of the MMr60 in action.
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-02 16:53
@ batesie

How long did it take your MMR-60 top arrive after you bought it ?

Please give more on the reception quality. Im currently using a Belkin Tunecast II (like coxy), and the reception is very very poor. I literally have to stand next to the receiving radio for any sort of sound to be audible over the crackling noise.

You said you've stood 10m away, does the sound quality remain ?

Its very important that before i buy one i know it'll have good reception, otherwise i'll be wasting my money like i did with the Belkin.

Please give us a thorough test of the reception
Check me out on Instagram ! search for etaab !
pblocal
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 17:41
what happens when a call comes in when it is playing?

does the ring come through the stereo's speakers?

when you answer it then goes directly into the phone only, correct?

thanks

FYi - sony ericcson is selling them cheaper on their website than what they are going for on ebay right now!
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 20:34
Thats not the point though, you cant buy them from every SE website, because in some countries like the UK, FM transmitters are banned.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-07 17:35
ok, i'll be answering some of your questions now its been tested.! [addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-08 00:54
Go on then..
emanuelj
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-08 08:52
Seems like he sold it...
dgilmartin
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-08 10:00
Quote:

On 2006-02-08 08:52:29, emanuelj wrote:
Seems like he sold it...

He sold his spare on
All the Way! Looking for a w705 PM me! Arizona
pblocal
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-08 16:21
ok then.......
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 03:12
batesie, please please pretty please do a thorough reception and range test? With sugar on top? We will love you forever

pblocal
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 16:54
he is probably not writing a review because the thing just sucks!

I have seen the other reviews in the accesories thread and it works well for only 1 person. the rest says it straight up sucks. Will not work in cars and has to be within one foot (less than 1/2 meter) to antennas to get it to come in at all! 10 meters, no freakin way!!!!

dude, yes you were the lucky/unlucky one to be the first to own one but by acknowledging the fact that yours sucks too the rest of us can save OUR money for something better down the road, like an UPDATED, MORE EFFICIENT model.

Can you get your money back?

bummer.......
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 17:30
Well, it works ok, and does the job. The thing is it doesnt work well in 'radio noisy' areas. but it does let me wap while using it....

i'd say it works better sitting next your home stereo, or in a phone holder in you car, but there is noise between tracks, maybe firmware can improve on this.

Also, it doent use that much battery, which is good in a way, but if it had more power to boost the signal, it would improve the strenght and quality of the signal. but obviously it would drain more power. but as i'm used to 3G services draining my battery fast, i guess it wouldnt be a problem.

I like the fading light, and the menus are nice and simple.

Overall Its a Sony. and Sonys should always perform well, but in this case i feel its substandard.

User Interface - 8/10
Sound Quality - 6/10
Battery Life - 9/10
Design Aspect - 9/10

Overall - 8/10

Hope this helps [addsig]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-10 00:54
Its the same with the Tunecast II, however it comes with a car adaptor, which means you dont need batteries when in the car.

You'd think it might help improve the signal, having a better power supply - it does not.

Ive come to the conclusion FM transmitters are just a waste of time and money. Avoid everyone.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-11 03:28
@batesie, thanks for that extra info, much appreciated, very useful.

@etaab, I get where you are coming from, but I've used fm transmitters for several years and they have given me a certain degree of freedom to listen to my music when I want.

I understand that you have given up on them, and this may have something to do with the noisy (radio noise) environment where you have used them, but this is not everyone's experience. Another factor is people's demand for crystal clear music. Someone who won't listen to less than 192Kbps quality mp3 files, probably would never be happy with any fm transmitter.

However some people are less demanding and are happy as long is the music is listenable (which is a personal judgement).

I think it's something people have to try for themselves. There are atleast three (not one) cases on these forums of people who have used the transmitter and are happy with it's performance. That's against only 5 at the most who weren't happy. Maybe some of those that weren't happy didn't try hard enough to find a clear station?

I know in your case you will have tested it thoroughly, but not everyone is as thorough as you or I. So I tend to be more inclined to believe favourable reports than negative.

Where do you want to listen to your music the most? If in the car, just get an inline fm transmitter, it's not wireless, but will enable you to plug your phone into the car stereo. works a treat.

The problem with belkin etc is the antenna (and by extrapolation the mmr-60 as well). I found this interesting article about fm transmitters by someone who seems to know what they are talking about:

"Make the antenna longer by adding a headphone extention cord: female at one end and male at the other. Put it between your audio player (iPod, Archos or whatever) and your transmitter. Stretch it out. The signal increase is remarkable. My Belkin TuneCast II is useless without it, and a workhorse with it. Here's one that Radio Shack sells.
One more thing. These little transmitters blow through their AAA batteries. When traveling, be sure to use the car power adapter (the Belkin comes with one). "

You can see the rest of the article here:
http://doc.weblogs.com/2005/06/29#littleFmTransmitters

(etaab, do you use a fastport to 3.5 jack converter or the full hpm-70? The hpm 70 with the extra length, stretched out, may be why I get reasonable use out of my belkin? Just a thought, may be off track...)

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-02-11 02:31 ]
etaab
Nokia N8
PM
Posted: 2006-02-11 16:53
Dont get me wrong, im not saying FM transmitters are entirely useless, in fact in my car i got quite good sound reception from the Tunecast II and my K750i.

The problem was, it would often, sometimes as frequent as every 10 seconds would pick up a few seconds of static noise - very annoying when you're listening to a track at high volume.

I am the type of person that likes high quality music, i dont mind a bit of background crackle from the usual FM stations, but from the Tunecast II it was much more noticable.

I used one of those poor 3.5mm adaptors with only 5 cm of cord with my K750i and the Tunecast, but then i also tried the Tunecast with my Walkmans extention cord (about 3 feet long) at home and the reception was just as bad as without. What i think made a massive difference to my Tunecast was using the car adaptor - the power from the car made the signal better than with the batteries two-fold.

However, how on earth would you go about improving the MMR-60's reception - since it does not use any sort of wire.. ?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi