Author Is it safe to defrag my mem card
ruhvee
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-06-18 09:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
DO NOT DEFRAG MEMORY CARD!

I defragged my 1GB M2 and none of the programs installed in card could be run
Their shortcuts dissapeared from tools menu ,standby and swissmanager pro.

However I could uninstall them from the uninstall menu.

So had to resintall them all over again . (over 60 progs + games)

Wasted a whole evening doing it.

The problem I face now is it takes a 1 minute or more lag to uninstall any program from uninstall menu in my P1i

The done dialogue which comes after uninstallation takes about a minute to appear and its frustrating.

Another thing I read is it doesnt matter if u defrag since memory cards do not use a hard disk like mechanism to seek data. So it doesnt matter where the data is stored. henc eit doesnt matter if the data is defragged.

In other words all data is readable equally fast (might need some clarification from the experts on that one)

[ This Message was edited by: ruhvee on 2008-06-18 08:16 ]
jms2367
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 12:22
i agree with the earlier post that you copy all the contents of the memory card and save it in my hard disk (including hidden files). then i format the memory card and copy back the contents that i made back-up before. all the software works well. (except for those copy protected files if these came pre-installed with your device).
blerk
T100
PM
Posted: 2008-06-22 12:51
Defragging your memory card is bad. As pointed out by others in this thread, I'll repeat the main points:

- there are limited numbers of read/write possible on a memory card, a lot but still limited.
- solid state memory (such as sd/m2 cards) have no seek time, every sector is
found in 0ms

So you won't increase the speed you will only increase the number of read/writes on the disk. Also if you do not want any fragments on the disk, copy all the contents to a folder on your pc, format the memory card and then move all files back. Defragging the card will ruin it.
Wizardz
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-06-23 08:33
I never experienced such problems with my memory card yet. But its a good thing alot of people are feedback about their problems. Guess its better to play it safe.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi