Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > Electro-magnetic wave- Brain Problem

Author Electro-magnetic wave- Brain Problem
niranjan007
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 06:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Phones use 0.85, 0.9, 1.8, 1.9 GHz spectrums while BT uses 2.4GHz. Higher the frequency, lower is the operating range. Thats why bt's range is just 10m, while phones can transmit to towers miles away.
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 06:21
pmpl @ Max! Mental telepathy!!! Nice one there bro :-) How about osmosis? Or diffusion? lol

This message was posted from a Nokia

niranjan007
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 06:29
And power/strength does not depend on the frequency of the wave, but on amplitude
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 06:49
pmpl @ Max! Mental telepathy!!! Nice one there bro :-) How about osmosis? Or diffusion? lol

blackspot
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 07:37
I was actually curious about @Tetsugaku-san's comment, because if it was meant to be a sarcastic joke then he actually has a point.

Bluetooth uses a much higher frequency radio waves (electromagnetic waves) although lesser power (lesser amplitude) but at 2.4GHz IMO, longer exposure to this is worse considering that this is practically the frequency at which most microwave ovens operate. Just a thought, still needs to be proven.
resistance is futile.
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 08:36
Short exposure to mobile phone radiation - two hours - has been reported in 2003 to destroy cells in parts of the brain important for memory, movement and learning, and could possibly conceivably premature onset of illnesses such as Alzheimers - although we have no evidence of a similar effect in humans. Lund University Hospital Professor Leif Salford says mobile radiation allows harmful proteins and toxins through the brain barrier in rats. He also has found significant degree of damage to brain neurons in adolescent rats.

He said: "If this effect was to transfer to young mobile users, the effects could be terrifying. We can see reduced brain reserve capacity, meaning those who might normally have got Alzheimer's or dementia in old age could get it much earlier." He used rats aged 12-26 weeks because their brain cells were still developing in a similar way to teenagers and younger children. They were exposed for just 120 minutes to radiation equivalent to typical intensive mobile phone use. Sections of rat brains were examined 50 days after exposure. Animals exposed to medium and high level radiation had many dead neurons in their brains - totally different from rats which were not exposed to radiation. (published Feb 2003).

The shepherd always tries to persuade the sheep that their interests and his own are the same.
Leviath
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 09:37
@BlueQuill

I dont think anyone can afford to use theire mobile for such long periods any way...

But you raise a valid point....

Solution to the problem....

Get your mouse to use the mobile for you instead....

Actually why worry, most people I know are brainless....

[ This Message was edited by: Leviath on 2005-10-07 08:38 ]
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 10:00
I actually killed my rat and ate it. So i guess, i will have to use my phone myself....Btw do i have a phone??....hey....what am i doing here??....who am i?? Whats my name??....... hey....wait a minute....am i getting alzheimers...??

majikman
P990
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 10:26
Just a thought...with the new firmware everyone just installed on their k750 we get increased reception/bars, does this mean the SAR quoted by SE in the booklet will have changed?
BlueQuill
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 10:29
I dont fink so

blayv
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 11:15
all i know, while my t10 antenna was broken, i had bad reception, but it radiated WAY less. when i got it fixed, i had 5 bars again, but my tv, landline, and radio freaked out when i used mobile.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-07 12:41
the poorer the reception, the stronger the radio will pump to make a connection

@niranjan007,

I wasn't tying range to frequency at all, however I wasn't thinking when I included frequency, I only meant power (amplitude). You are quite correct, Bluetooth does indeed operate in the 2.4GHz range. However, bluetooth has a much lower operating power, this is the real reason why it has a short range. (please correct me if I am wrong)

As 3G services develop, operators are moving into higher frequency bands (higher frequency signals can carry more data), so soon mobile phones will operate in the microwave range. Many services are planned (including wimax) that will utilise many different bands all the way to 3GHz and beyond. Currently some providers offer atleast 2.1GHz, some may be higher.

If phones are planned that will operate in this range, then higher frequencies can hardly be limited to ten metres. So actually a radio's range is dependent on both power and frequency. I'm sure you are correct that higher frequencies have a shorter range, but only for the same power output. Even so, bluetooth operates at considerably lower power levels than umts 2.1GHZ.

Bluetooth power output is limited to .1W maximum (100 metre range version) usually a lot lower, whereas mobile handsets produce between 1W - 3W. On average a bluetooth signal is probably 100-1000 times less powerful than a mobile phone.

"While GSM hand-held transmitters produce 1 to 3 W, the Bluetooth receiver is intended to operate effectively with signals as low as 10 pW, or 1/100,000,000,000 of the power"
http://rfdesign.com/mag/radio_integrating_bluetooth_gsm/

So I'd expect that IF it was possible to get cancer from bluetooth, you'd have to tape a 100 metre bt radio to your head transmitting at ful power 24 hours a day, and even then a one hour phone call on a umts handset could do 100's of times more damage.

But in truth, if low power microwave energy was harmful, people who work in kitchens where microwaves are used day in and day out, would be dropping with cancer left right and centre.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-07 13:04
Quote:

On 2005-10-07 06:49:12, Kryptik wrote:
pmpl @ Max! Mental telepathy!!! Nice one there bro How about osmosis? Or diffusion? lol

I vote for Osmosis . For all we know mental telepathy may work by Electro Magnetic Radiation too. If it does, I'm sure it would have to operate somewhere in the 1 GigaTerabyte (GT) frequency range

wilson
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-10-07 13:05
I think we have to bear the consequence as it looks that it is impossible to stop using phone just because of EMW. However, as other has explained there is no proof on their effects... lets see in future what will be the discoveries on this....

[ This Message was edited by: wilson on 2005-10-07 12:11 ]
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-07 13:15
yeah ultimately no one knows. The ancient romans used lead lining on their aquaducts, and lead poising (causes madness) is attributed atleast in part to the downfall of their society!

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi