Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Considering the P910

Author Considering the P910
jdiazj1
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-08-16 19:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello, I just wanted an opinion from you SE910 users. I was a treo 600 user but I recently had a accident with it and now I am phoneless. I have been considering purchasing the P910 but Im not that convinced. Have you guys had ever had any problems with it, like the consistent crashing or freezing up like I had with my treo. Can you guys please give me your serious option on it and if not enough convincing, can you please suggest another PDA phone to consider? Also, if I am convinced on the p910, which one to purchase? Which one will give me the best reception here in the states? I live in Chicago, IL and I am a T-Mobile user and I dont know which one to get, the P910i or P910a. Thank you for your help
mrao
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-16 23:54
The p910 is a superb pda phone.....one of the best around....
I got mine a month ago, and it hasnt crashed once.....and trust me..I have several apps installed and in use ...and I suspect, that most, if not all P910 owners, feel the same way as I do
With reference to whether you should go for a P910i or a P910a, Its advisable to get a p910a , since it has been specifically manufactured for the US market ( I presume, taking into consideration that the technicalities involved in usage on the US operators would be slightly different from those in Europe & Asia), and I also presume, thats what you would get, if you were to get it directly from an operator like T-Mobile or Cingular.

You do have alternatives like the I-Mate JAM, which is also a good product, provided you can put up with Windows on your phone too

t610 > k700i > p800 > p900 > p910 > k750i > I-mate Jam > Blokia 6681 > HTC Prophet > HTC Wizard & Nokia N73 > E71 > BB 9000 > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II & the Motorola Xoom
<br />
Still Shiny but not so n
CalvinH
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 08:24
I also bougth my P910i a month ago, and am very happy with it. I previously had a Nokia 6260 which was stolen , and when decided to buy a new phone, I took into consideration the P910i, Nokia 6630, Nokia 6681, Nokia 7710, Treo650... I chose the P910i and I am glad I got it. Lots of apps, a superb screen, a hundred of ways to input text...

Regards.
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 08:50
I've been looking at acquiring a new phone, and possibly moving away from Nokia, and i have to admit, everything i've heard about the P910i is pretty convincing, so much so that i'm practically certain it'll be my next phone

This message was posted from a Nokia

knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 09:03
Here is my honest opinion of the P910 compared to the Treo devices. Everything about the P910 is superior to the Treos with the exception of synchronization. Sony Ericsson can't seem to get everything working with Outlook as well as everyone would like them to. This seems to be the most common complaint and one of the only justified complaints as far as I am concerned. Sync isn't terrible, but it would be nicer if the fields matched better and the phone connection wasn't so fussy.

Everything else about the P910 is pure genious. I love the interface, the flip, the screen and I can't tell you how many choices you have for text input. I just couldn't get along with a PDA device that didn't at least have handwriting recognition (which the Treos lack).

As far as crashes go, I have had mine since November and I can remember only a handful of crashes. So few in fact that I forget about them until something specifically reminds me. I am one of those guys who updates his firmware even if nothing is wrong, and still I continue to have my device work trouble free. Right now my phone has been running for over 4 days and is completely stable.

As far as the P910a or P910i is concerned, they are equal with respect to T-Mobile in the US. They both have the 1900 band and that is all T-Mobile US uses. However you have two things to consider 1.) will you be traveling anywhere outside the US frequently and 2.) do you think you will ever switch to another provider while you have the P910? If you plan extensive travel anywhere outside the Americas, then the P910i is for you. If you think you may ever switch to Cingular while you have this phone, then by all means buy the P910a.
xerx
X2 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 13:45

the P910i is a powerful phone...i will keep mine for a while as no other phone in its category can beat it...well that is just my opinion harharhar
Mad_Bob
P900 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-17 15:41
I have had the P900 then upgraded to the P910. I still think overall its the best smart phone out. This is how I came to that.

Filter out the bad operating systems:
Goodbye windows.

So now you have Nokia, The Motorola A1*** and the SE P series:

Nokia use series 60 which has a bit of a dodgy interface, and they also use mini MMC's (memory cards) which are not very popular (but are quite cheap).

Motorola A1*** (my mate has one). The interface on this although its UIQ Is quite crap compared to that of the SE, it doesn't seem to have a file manager like the SE, and its quite frankly poo, although the speed of the phone is much quicker than the SE.

Which leaves the SE P910 The MS duo pro, works with all Sony devices without any new card readers etc, Vaio, Cybershots you name it, even some Sony DVD players. It has the best user friendly OS on it and endless amounts of freeware and a reported MS Duo support of up to 32gb.

Compare specs on http://www.gsmarena.com/

ITS THE BEST ONE OUT!...
Oh my god! a wooden goat!.
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 17:31
Please stop comparing non touch screen phones with the P910.
We (Pxxx owners) are a world apart.

As for the PalmOS, the real advantage of them is the easy of use of the OS. It's designed from the bottom up with easiness of use in mind.

The Windows Mobile on the other hand, it's designed from the top to bottom with complexity in mind.

The UIQ is between both worlds.
Thanks !
vuss1981
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 22:12
OK. there is a big difference between treo and p910. the P910 has a touch sensitive screen. this puts the phone in a completely different league.
I've had mine for some months now and have experienced no crashes. This is not to say that the phone is flawless. syncing is a problem. SE's computer software is pretty bad in my opinion. it often drops my phone from both bluetooth and docking station connections in the middle of a session. The phone itself is really good. should be noted that i updated the firmware on my phone when i got it. also the biggest gripe i have is that the phone does not and cannot close all applications that you use. for example messaging, control panel etc. this slows down performance and drains batteries. There is SMan - a program which you can download for the phone to do this but its still a pain.

Otherwise the phone is a winner. Ive had smartphones for a few years now. nokia 9210, palm treo.... this phone completely blows them out of the water. Software is pretty available for it as well, though palm has more.

all in all.... its the best thing out there in my opinion knowing that the best is not perfect
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi