Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Plain English Quran - Is there one?

Previous  123  Next
Author Plain English Quran - Is there one?
zuhib
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-10 23:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@slattery69 the above differences u just mentioned are simply becuz of lack of knowledge abt the Holy Qura'an ppl just dont try to understand the true meaning of wht the quraan says the just make their own ways

This message was posted from a WAP device

slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-08-10 23:43
that s what i was getting at since the quran is meant to be the dictated word of god unaltered.
yet all to often i see people acting in ways very different to the qurans teachings yet claiming to be muslim
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-10 23:52
Quote:

On 2005-08-10 20:22:28, slattery69 wrote:
how do muslims deal with the cutural differences that various groups impose on the quran
for example some muslims were a full veil other are much more libera with it
from my studies of the quran i have found very little mention of women been fully covered, more that women should dress modesty.
also some culture that claim to be muslim seem to see women as a lower class yet the quran teaches that woman are equal and in some cases as mothers even seen on a higher plain to men.
how is it that we see such change from the original text?

Chapter 24 Verses 30 and 31 from the Holy Quran states:

Tell the believing men to lower their gaze from looking at forbidden things, and protect their private parts from illegal sexual acts. That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do.

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze from looking at forbidden things, and protect their private parts from illegal sexual acts, and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent like palms of hands or one eye or both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, and to draw their veils all over Juyubihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms, etc.) and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husband's sons, their brothers or their brother's sons, or their sister's sons, or their (Muslim) women (i.e. their sisters in Islām), or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants who lack vigour, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And all of you beg Allah to forgive you all, believers, that you may be successful.

http://www.theholyquran.org/?x=s_main&y=s_middle&kid=16&sid=4

sailaab
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 00:04
Joe & others.. could you please PLEASE guide me to other threads here ... I was in Indonesia some 6-7 years back.. a friend's friend has this indepth "wap" site.. http://www.geocities.com/tyasno/index.wml#card1

This message was posted from a P910

slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 09:11
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male attendants free of sexual desires, or small children who have no carnal of women; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah in repentance, that ye may be successful.

a similar quote to yours yet not saying that women should cover up fully just the bosom from the site you pointed me to from the english translation of the quran. actually its the same quote from the english quran translated by yusaf ali.
odd how the same passage can imply different meaning in a different translation. who was your translation by?

[ This Message was edited by: slattery69 on 2005-08-11 08:59 ]
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 09:20
their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty

The beauty of their face...
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 09:41
surely thats an interpretation of the text not what it actually says.
you maybe correct however it doesnt say that. what im trying to get at is if the quran is the unaltered word of god surely you cant imposs your own interpretations on the text and thus possible alter gods words
Silkwood
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 09:53
Quote:

On 2005-08-10 23:52:32, PeterKay wrote:
or the (female) slaves whom their right hands possess, or old male servants

Slaves and servants? Sounds a bit mediaeval!

Oxford Univerity Press have an English language "World's Classics" paperback edition which is easy to get. I'd say Christians should read this if only to understand the Islamic view of Jesus.
Using P910i with flip off!
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 09:58
its all up to culture... in my area only a few cover their faces... the statement just says to wear clothing that will not cause a man to be arouse or desire to think or do sin... thats all, beauty also goes with the figure of the women, that figure will not be allowed to show, meaning no tight fitting clothing!! nothing about covering up the face, or that or this watsoever.... just wear somthing appropiate..

and just to mention.. a man will be doin a sin to stare at a women more than once... as this will lead to fantasy of desire.. Thus women in some culture decide to cover their faces to help US men.. from doin such thinking...

u may say how about frends talking a man n a women.. talking is different u dont think of lust (that if u dont), but if u do, then u know ur doin a sin... thats why as gd women of Islam they help us by covering their faces..
Never Give Up!
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 10:02
@o2
thats great thats what i was getting at the culturally people have distored the qurans meaning to suit themseleves.
your explaination was what i always understood islam to be about, which is very sensible when you think about it.
in its purest form islam can be a very good and very sensible religion a lot more progressive than its given credit for.
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-11 15:11
The women in Islam does not need to cover her face, but some women do. Islam does not place burden on a soul more than it can bear.

slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-08-11 15:36
@peter kay
that again was my understanding yet culturally some do expect women to cover up which i find strange.
however hopefully discussions like this will help clear up myths around islam and give people more knowledge on the religion
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-11 19:46
totally true.
Melik
T630
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-11 22:17
Quote:

On 2005-08-11 10:02:39, slattery69 wrote:
@o2
thats great thats what i was getting at the culturally people have distored the qurans meaning to suit themseleves.
your explaination was what i always understood islam to be about, which is very sensible when you think about it.
in its purest form islam can be a very good and very sensible religion a lot more progressive than its given credit for.

thats the reason why so many people choose the islam as their religion.
The Knowledge of the Past, is the Key to the Future.

I'm sorry for my bad english. Please Correct my wrong sentences.
Galatasaray since 1905
muslimah
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-01-10 14:05

On 2005-08-10 23:43:41, slattery69 wrote:
that s what i was getting at since the quran is meant to be the dictated word of god unaltered.
yet all to often i see people acting in ways very different to the qurans teachings yet claiming to be muslim

Hi there
I'd like to clarify why there is so much difference within the muslims around the world...
Being muslim means we should follow the teachings of the quran...
BUT this is not enough by itself...
The quran only teaches us the do's and don'ts
It doesn't explain the HOW's
this is where the sunnah comes in... Which is basically what our prophet (peace be upon him) did and said.
We are told how to do things and how the prophet (peach be upon him) did everything in his life.
A lot of people unfortunately do not follow the sayings and teachings of the prophet (peace be upon him) thinking that following the quran is enough... Unfortunately they are wrong and may Allah guide them.
Once you follow the texts of the prophet (peace be upon him), you get the correct islam that muslims should strive to be followers of.
If you are interested in reading these teachings of out prophet (peace be upon him) then you should google BUKHARI and read the books of prayer, manners, women, money, ablution and EVERYTHING else
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi