Motorola, Inc.today announced several initiatives to support disaster assistance and humanitarian relief efforts related to the tsunami crisis in South Asia.
In the early hours of the evolving crisis, Motorola – as a major partner with first-responders around the world began working to deploy equipment and technical support to meet critical communications needs in affected areas.
Through commitment of equipment, a direct contribution by Motorola, donations from its employees and a matching-fund program, Motorola estimates the value of its contribution to this effort at upward of $3 million and growing.
A partial summary of Motorola disaster assistance efforts to date:
• Substantial contributions of communications equipment to support relief and recovery efforts, which have involved Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India, Thailand and Malaysia. This has included subscriber radio sets, repeater/base station units and mobile phones
• Working with customers and others to re-establish emergency communications throughout the region, including places where infrastructure was destroyed. Motorola technical teams have been on-scene in affected areas to restore mobile phone and other critical communications services working with local operators to provide airtime and coverage.
• Approximately $250,000 in immediate aid requested by several nations including India, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.
• An outright $1 million Motorola contribution to the International Red Cross/Red Crescent.
• A dollar-for-dollar matching-fund program for personal employee contributions to international aid efforts (Red Cross/Red Crescent or AmeriCares).
• Motorola employees have devoted additional time, food, money and other assistance through Motorola and their local communities.
Ed Zander, chairman and CEO of Motorola, said, “I am very pleased with the rapid and compassionate response of Motorola’s dedicated employees to the relief effort. Our employees are deeply concerned about the tragedy in Asia, and thousands of them have donated their own time and money to provide much-needed aid. Motorola has a long history of lending assistance in situations where its technical expertise and people can be helpful. We are proud to be part of this massive outpouring of support from around the world."
Motorola is a Fortune 100 global communications leader that provides seamless mobility products and solutions across broadband, embedded systems and wireless networks. In your home, auto, workplace, and all spaces in between, seamless mobility means you can reach the people, things and information you need, anywhere, anytime. Seamless mobility harnesses the power of technology convergence and enables smarter, faster, cost-effective and flexible communication. Motorola had sales of US$27.1 billion in 2003. For more information: www.motorola.com.