Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Bomb blasts in Egypt!

123  Next
Author Bomb blasts in Egypt!
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-23 20:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
When will all this stop. . Atleast 80 are reported dead. Attacks occured in a bustling resort. MORONS.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
mrao
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 20:29
More news

Toll climbs in Egyptian attacks

The attacks happened at the height of the tourist season
At least 88 people have been killed in bomb attacks in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, hospital staff say.
Some 200 more were injured in the blasts last night. The first, in the Old Market, was followed by two more in Naama Bay, where a hotel was badly hit.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak vowed to continue the "battle with terrorism" as he visited the sites of the attacks, the worst in Egypt's recent history.

Most of the dead are Egyptians, but foreigners are among the victims too.

A 34-year-old Italian man on his honeymoon and a Czech citizen have been confirmed dead, and at least 20 of those injured are thought to be foreign.

Clues

The blasts come less than a year after 34 people died in an attack further north in the Sinai Peninsula.

Egyptian Interior Minister Habib al-Adli condemned what he called an "ugly act of terrorism" and said police were following leads.

Click here to see a map of the attacks
"We have some clues, especially about the car that was exploded in the Old Market, and investigators are pursuing," Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, on a visit to neighbouring Israel, denounced "the horrific terrorist bombings". She vowed that Egypt and the US "will confront and defeat this scourge that knows no boundary and respects no creed".

'Rammed hotel'

The blasts came within minutes of each other, shortly after 0100 local time (2200 GMT), when the bars and markets were busy. This flaming mass flew over my head, faster than a torpedo

Mursi Gaber
Eyewitness

Rush to leave resort
In pictures: Egypt blasts

In the most devastating attack, a bomber rammed his car into Ghazala Gardens Hotel, according to an eyewitness.

"A suicide car bomber forced the barrier at the entrance of the hotel. A member of the security staff tried to stop him but he sped towards the reception and there was a huge explosion," an unnamed hotel employee told AFP news agency.

Parts of the front walls of the hotel collapsed, trapping people under the rubble.

A few hundred metres away, a bomb went off in a car park near the Moevenpick Hotel and popular nightlife spots, causing widespread damage and casualties.

In the Old Market area blast, about four kilometres (2.5 miles) away, 17 people - believed to be Egyptian workers - were killed as they gathered at a street cafe, rescue officials said. We heard a huge bang and saw a gust of black smoke over Old Sharm

Lisa Keany

Blasts: Were you there?
Holidaymakers' horror

"This flaming mass flew over my head, faster than a torpedo and plunged into the water," Mursi Gaber, who was working on a nearby beach when the blast happened, told AP.

"There were body parts all over the steps down to the beach."

Sabina Salvatore, an Italian diving instructor, was on a boat at the time of the blasts.

"Suddenly we looked at Old Sharm and we saw this fire coming up and after this fire some sounds... an explosion and then more fire and everything was shaking," she told the BBC News website.

"After this bomb, silence, then a lot of people screaming."

'Mass hysteria'

Witnesses said there was pandemonium as dazed and shocked tourists fled to safety.

"We went outside on to the street where we were met with hundreds of people running and screaming in all directions," British tourist, Fabio Basone, told the BBC.

British policeman Charlie Ives was in a cafe about 50 metres (160ft) away from where two explosions went off.

"The whole area was quickly covered in debris. There was a huge ball of smoke that mushroomed up. It was mass hysteria," he told the BBC.

Speaking after touring the bomb sites, President Mubarak said the "cowardly, criminal act" would "only increase our determination in chasing terrorism, cornering it and uprooting it".

"Our battle with terrorism will continue with all the strength, resolve and will that we have," he added.

Tourism fears

In a statement posted on an Islamic website, a group calling itself the Abdullah Azzam Brigades, al-Qaeda, in Syria and Egypt, said it carried out the bombings, the AP news agency reported, although the claim has not been verified.

The bombings happened at the height of the summer tourist season in Sharm al-Sheikh, and coincided with an extended holiday weekend to mark the anniversary of the 1952 Egyptian revolution.

It was the first such attack since last October, when 34 people died in car and truck bomb attacks at Red Sea resorts on the eastern coast of the Sinai Peninsula.

The previous worst attack in Egypt occurred in 1997, when Islamic militants killed 58 foreign tourists and four Egyptians near the southern city of Luxor.

Tourism is Egypt's most lucrative industry, worth about $6.6bn a year.

t610 > k700i > p800 > p900 > p910 > k750i > I-mate Jam > Blokia 6681 > HTC Prophet > HTC Wizard & Nokia N73 > E71 > BB 9000 > HTC Desire > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy S II & the Motorola Xoom
<br />
Still Shiny but not so n
max99
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 20:32
i sooo wish they wud stop [addsig]
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 23:15
tats worse than london terror...
Never Give Up!
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-23 23:49
NOW let someone say that it's Arabs or Muslims attacking the west.

Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-24 00:49
true.
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-24 13:24
Maybe now its time that the U.S withdraws from Iraq and a Independent Palestine created.....Until that happenes im sure we will continue to see many more such attacks.... 50 to a 100 people die in Iraq every single day and no one bats an eye lid....but when it happens on our doorstep we start complaining muslim terrorists blah blah blah....Don't forget its the U.S that started this snowball..It will have to be them who have to stop it! [addsig]
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-24 14:24
Who said it was the US' fault. [addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-24 14:41
The U.S invasion of Iraq the U.S support of Israel.....in the end its U.S that is responsible for all terrorism....you can't invade a sovereign and not expect them to get you back in some way. [addsig]
lazn
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-07-24 17:04
Quote:

On 2005-07-24 13:24:22, axxxr wrote:
Maybe now its time that the U.S withdraws from Iraq and a Independent Palestine created.....Until that happenes im sure we will continue to see many more such attacks.... 50 to a 100 people die in Iraq every single day and no one bats an eye lid....but when it happens on our doorstep we start complaining muslim terrorists blah blah blah....Don't forget its the U.S that started this snowball..It will have to be them who have to stop it!

LLLLLOOOOOOLLLLL mate .... you don't know what you're talking about ....
when the "Independent Palestine" will have their own independence ..
there will be so many attacks on israel ... & most probably ... a war between the two countries will break ...
+ i don't think US should leave iraq ... & you know why ??? just think .... think ... what will happen if the US of A wont help the iraqian ppl to develop a stable & a normal government this place is gonna turn apart coz all the other musilm countries will invade them
& you know why all these ppl are dieing .. ???? you need a clue coz i think you're dreaming !!! these pplz are a militia members !!! any resistance will make a disorder & unstable peace in the entire area ..
i think these stupid terroirst should die !!!! & now !!!

& pplz ..... don't be blind plz .... !!!! it is all clear & known that the alqaida does this shit .. so ... saying i wish it would stop ... won't do a thing ... WE MUST ACT NOW !!
or you're country will be slaughtered !!!!

[ This Message was edited by: lazn on 2005-07-25 01:22 ]
NicholG
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-07-24 17:26
You may think that it is the U.S that is responsible for all terrorism but bear in mind when 9/11 occured they were not in Iraq or Afghanistan, they entered after. Now i do not condone the U.S being in Iraq but your statement is not 100% correct.
Speed It Up To 60
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-24 17:50
Today its the us on whom they blame it all, tomorrow it will be something else. And i fail to understand what connection do people enjoying a holiday in Egypt have to do with U.S policies in iraq. The truth is, these people will always find an excuse to justify these cowardly acts. I think, even if the Us pulls out of iraq these things won't stop. Maybe they will decrease a bit but it won't stop. Its the mindset of these brainwashed idiots that have to be changed the U.S is secondary.
T230 >> T610 >> Ngage QD >> N73 >> N85 >> Omnia HD >> And countless other review units
peeta
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2005-07-24 23:54
the US have propped up dictators and crushed democracy in the middle east for decades. Iraq was one more bloody act of US interference in that region to secure its own interests, one that has predictably backfired.
why egypt? a lot of Isrealis holiday there and Egypt has been given a lot of "aid" by the US over the past few years.

[ This Message was edited by: peeta on 2005-07-24 22:56 ]
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-25 01:06
Thank you lazn for branding me and every other muslim as a terrorist. You know that there about 1 billion of us and if we were all terrorists then this world would've been long gone. On the other hand thank you to any one who has anything positive to say on the matter. We almost had a nail bomb attack today, luckly the only person hurt was the terrorist.

This message was posted from a T630

amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-07-25 01:12
@lazn, you're obviously not open minded.

First of all, why should America decide how Iraq should evolve. I take it that the US was always the way it was? NO! There was alot of racism (still is), alot of development (still is) etc... So why can't Iraq be left free to develop the way it is.

You know and I know that if a contract or agreement was made that the US may not take ANY advantage from Iraq or it's neighbouring countries Oil, that the US would leave asap.

Now in regards, to the attacks, Palastine just wants independance. You dont know that they will attack Israel even more.
Also, who put most of the Jews into Israel in the first place? Go research which country they were kicked out of.

*sighs*

You can't insinuate that people will do something without giving them a chance at life.

It's like I hold a gun to your head and follow you everywhere saying "dont worry, I'm protecting you from hurting yourself"

It's like that episode in South Park when the police surrounded the house thinking that the party was a mass suicide and the American cop said, Dont worry mam, we'll kill them before they get a chance to commit suicide.

Finally, something that's from my heart,

Lazn, you're an ignorant bastard. You tell us to stop being blind when you think the only way to stop war is with war.

I'm a muslim, I guess I'll be blowing you up now (based on YOUR sayings)

Mods, why dont you delete such a comment *sighs*

Axxxr, good to see you're a good man.

Oxygen Inc|Oxygen Mobile

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2005-07-25 00:13 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi