Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > [w800i] Radiation from the headphones of an mp3 phone?

Author [w800i] Radiation from the headphones of an mp3 phone?
Mandark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 19:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm curious if anyone has seen any info on the radiation levels emitted through the headphones of the new Sony Ericsson w800i phone?

I was convinced I would buy this new phone, but then realized that the radiation normally transmitted by the phone would travel up the headphone cables, maybe a reduced amount, but still enough to cause concern in the long-term. It's not the same as using hands-free headphones in my car, because I'd probably listen to music for 3-4 hours a day.

Just curious if anyone else has thought of this? Maybe even came up with a solution?

I thought of using some Bluetooth headphones, but the one made for SE phones only come with one earpiece as far as I can tell. And using the 3.5mm headphone adapter that comes with the phone, would mean that I need to attach the bluetooth transmitter at the end of a cable, which would be a bit cumbersome to use.
ljphil1978
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 20:25
If your listening to music in flight mode then surely there are no radiation emissions because the phone's transmitter is turned off and when its in normal mode i doubt the amount of radiation in the headphones is anything to worry about, i'd be more worried about the area where you've got your handset
gregface
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 22:22
mobile phones do not emit radiation

if they did then half the world would be dead.

tahiti200
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 22:48
All phones emit elecromagnetic radiation, so do tv's, microprocessors, light bulbs.

Many people are concerned about the radiation emitted by mobile phones because of the frequencies they operate at - it's approaching / into microwaves (and we all know the sorts of effects microwaves have on organic tissue).

I believe UMTS phones operate at around 2.4GHz (true ??) which is well into microwave frequencies....
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2005-07-23 23:03
It's not enough to emit microwave frequencies to build an oven. The frequency has to be in very close match with a frequency that is absorbed by the water molecules. That's how a microwave oven works: the frequency is absorbed by water and then released as heat in what you are cooking. And because food, being meat or vegetables, is highly water containing... Same goes for us.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
Trentors
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-07-24 01:52
Quote:

On 2005-07-23 22:22:38, gregface wrote:
mobile phones do not emit radiation

if they did then half the world would be dead.

Do you even know ANYTHING about phones?? Never heard of radiation from the use of cell phones? Where have you been that last couple of years?

Quote:

On 2005-07-23 19:08:23, Mandark wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has seen any info on the radiation levels emitted through the headphones of the new Sony Ericsson w800i phone?

I was convinced I would buy this new phone, but then realized that the radiation normally transmitted by the phone would travel up the headphone cables, maybe a reduced amount, but still enough to cause concern in the long-term. It's not the same as using hands-free headphones in my car, because I'd probably listen to music for 3-4 hours a day.

Just curious if anyone else has thought of this? Maybe even came up with a solution?

I thought of using some Bluetooth headphones, but the one made for SE phones only come with one earpiece as far as I can tell. And using the 3.5mm headphone adapter that comes with the phone, would mean that I need to attach the bluetooth transmitter at the end of a cable, which would be a bit cumbersome to use.

Anyway, i don't understand this topic. Why would headphones emit radiation? They don't recieve or broadcast any signal (other than being able to recieve harmless radio waves). The antenna is still in the phone - the headset is simply an advanced headphone. What radiation are you talking about?

[ This Message was edited by: Trentors on 2005-07-24 00:53 ]
Mandark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-28 11:09
To make it clearer, due to current travelling through the headphone cable to your head, the radiation emitted by the phone's transmitter travels along the same route, taking it to your head. So you're basically holding the phone to your head for 5 hours a day with no break.

I'm not worried about cancer in the present, but 10-15 years down the road some people might notice the effects of this.
Scorchio
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-07-28 11:22
Its an interesting question. I remember a few years back an independant group released evidence that "handsfree" ear pieces acted as an antennae for the mobile phone and the radio waves were transmitted up the cable. I myself have no major concern for SAR levels. A mobile phone basically transmits at a radio frquency. Our bodies have been bombarded by similar waves for almost a hundred years now and we have seen no cancerous effects.

Its like most new inventions, some people always find a way to give out about it. Did you know that when the motor car was first introduced, most people believed that the human body would not survive speeds in excess of 30 MPH!!!

I might be wrong, but for now I'll keep microwaving my brain. Maybe it will give super powers:)
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi