Previous  12
Author Public gateways supporting LDT
Bhaal
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-21 18:16
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@benjytrainer

OK, but we're all confused, because in an earlier post, you seemed to indicate that 3KB was a limit of the T68i, not the lack of LDT on the gateway.
Now we seem to agree it is a question of the gateway, and whether your operator allows you to use it.

Have you tried using the Ericsson gateway I posted in the second post here? I think many use that (maybe because they have Ericsson phones), and are happy with it. It certainly allows LDT to at least 30KB. However I don't know if your carrier will allow you to use it.
There is only one reliable way: Try it (and post back the results, pls)

[ This Message was edited by: Bhaal on 2002-08-21 17:17 ]
benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-22 12:08
Hello

Bhaal, it will very much depend on how you look at it ...

The limit of 3 Kb IS with the T68, if there is no gateway in the network that will support LDT. You could of course argue that the limit on the T68 is due to the fact there is no gateway that does LDT !

With GPRS, the firewalling ( I suspect ) means that you can only tunnel out to the Voda GW, which as we know does not support LDT.

However, if you instigate a dial-up session using Voda, then you can go to whichever gateway you wish, including the one you listed.

If things are done this way, then you can neatly sidestep the SAR issue and the T68 can go up to this limit of 30 Kb ( although I haven't personally tried to push through that much )

Annoying situation - yes

Unsolvable - no

benj
Bhaal
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-22 13:07
@benjytrainer

I assume you mean to imply, that you are using Voda

I have no experience with them, however couldn't you lobby/pressure/ask politely if they could either open the GPRS limit, or enable LDT on their GW ?

It is my impression that LDT eksists om most gateways, it is just disabled by default. If the carrier is made aware of the need, they might enable it.

Just wishfull thinking, I know. I didn't do this myself (my TDC carrier does not have LDT enabled), I just switched GW (they don't have a firewall against that either).
But it might work.
benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-22 16:11
Hello

In an ideal world where I had a little more time, I probably would !

However, bearing in mind I know CSD with your GW suggestion works, each time I want to do a "big" download, I can just swap profile.

The way that the T68 is set up means that it's easy to associate data accounts to wap profiles and to switch between them - so not major hassle.

However, it seems that only some people understand all the nuances of getting devices to work on all criteria - you are lucky enough to just be able to swap the GW, I have to set up completely new settings !

Anyway, I think we are ( the people who have read this post ) getting to the point where we can at least set the T68 up to sidestep this issue, to a greater or lesser extent

benj
evoke
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-08-22 20:51
Oh right I'm confused to. ben you did say in great deatil in the UK thread that it was the T68 wap browser that would not allow large data files (ie over 3kb) but now obviously they do. What gives?

Oh anyway I'm not that bothered now as I can get my large files - no hard feelings!

Ed

[ This Message was edited by: edwardm on 2002-08-22 19:56 ]
Bhaal
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-23 00:07
@benjytrainer

As I understand it, you say that it is the T68's fault that it wont allow large transfers when the GW does not allow LDT.
I assume that means that it is in theory possible (with a better phone) to make large downloads, even when the GW does not support LDT. I didn't know that, but then I wouldn't

Anyway if you just want to transfer some big things, usually HSCSD transfer is cheaper than GPRS, if you don't use too much time navigating to it, and just get on with the download

In Denmark GPRS costs 25dkr/MB (about 2£/MB). However using HSCSD to download at 28kb/s would give 210KB/min at a price of maybe 2dkr/min. This would be 2dkr/210KB = 10dkr/MB = <1£/MB.

GPRS is less hassle though. It cost much to use 10 minutes finding the download-link (unless you count your own salery).
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-08-23 00:45
Quote:

On 2002-08-23 00:07, Bhaal wrote:
...it is in theory possible (with a better phone) to make large downloads

better phone???
BBBold on T-Mobile UK
benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-23 00:46
Hello

edwardm - see post above and this text

As said before ( again ), limit is with the phone technically, as it negotiates the limit with the gateway. Therefore, if you take your phone to a network without a LDT gateway, you are not going to be going higher than 3 Kb.

However, if by whatever means, you can connect to a LDT-enabled gateway, then the limit is lifted ( it is just now 3 Kb + 3 Kb + 3 Kb etc ) up to a supposed total of 30 Kb

So, as you can see 3 Kb is the limit, but with LDT you can stick them together and go much higher

benj
USA_UMTS
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-08-28 17:40
Does anyone know what AT&T Wireless' gateway data transfer limit is? I am having problems downloading even the smallest size screensaver of esato's test links. I've run across a few posts where users are connecting to another public gateway to download larger files. Is this possible with ATT? According to their customer svc agents, all customers must connect through the AT&T Wireless proxy server.

[ This Message was edited by: USA_UMTS on 2002-08-28 16:41 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi