benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 10:42
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey everyone,

Hope you are well

A quick question if you don't mind :

I am looking for a public domain gateway that supports Large Data Transfer - does anyone know the ip address of one that does ? I presently use Voda UK gateway, but it does not suport LDT and so I am limited to 3 Kb download !

You help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

benjy
Bhaal
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 10:53
Ericssons wap gateway supports at least 30KB transfers. Haven't tried larger than that.

IP: 193.95.167.178

PS: The T68i supports up to 3KB for inline content, ie. images shown on pages, and up to 30KB when saving a link (ie, saving image by link).
spikee_3D
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 11:52
Or try 194.237.106.73 and it works

This post was posted from a T68i

decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 12:07
benjytrainer,

you said a few weeks back the T68 cannot negotiate data transfers over 3KB...and you never replied to anyones questions...the answer to your question is in another post you already replied to:

http://esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=9306&forum=14#post118801
BBBold on T-Mobile UK
mmort7
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-08-19 17:14
Check www.waptunnel.com

Martin
benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 00:33
Hello,

decoy7 - to answer you directly :

The T68i cannot normally negotiate data transfers over 3 Kb. And if you read the posts ( which you evidently have not ), then you would see I challenged anyone to come with a phone/firmware/network setting combo which would show this working.

After pointing out AGAIN AND AGAIN the fact that in MOST networks ( because the gateway does not support LDT ) the T68i is limited to 3 Kb, I just got bored with saying the same thing.

Certain people seem to lack the ability to take in information but seem quite happy to post inane comments

Well, I have done the testing, and I already know the results - the only thing I am interested to see now is if any of the ip addresses listed do actually work ( if you knew anything about GPRS AT ALL you would understand why this might not be so )

So, in summary, thanks for your really really helpful comment

benj
spikee_3D
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 01:05
Ah such comments hurt ......... No make me laugh ! :-D just can't please some you do your best to help........... ;-)

spikee_3D
P910
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 01:06
Ah such comments hurt ......... No make me laugh ! :-D just can't please some you do your best to help........... ;-)

benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 01:08
Hello

Spikee 3D - no comments aimed at you mate

Those ip addresses are I am sure valid gateways, question is, whether I can route through to them from my service provider

I was just making a point to mr decoy

benj
Bhaal
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 15:24
@benjytrainer

I just used download a 7KB theme from esato, using my T68i with R2E006 (Tiger_fun.thm).
It worked fine, all of it was received and stored in T68i memory.

Connection was a Connection oriented wap-session with the Ericsson wap gateway.
The wap profile connectes using a GPRS connection with APN "internet", from a Danish mobile company called TDC. Their own wap gateway does not support LDT >3KB.

All other settings standard.

So my T68i can download files bigger than 3KB.

However, I understand that it will not show images on wap-pages, which are larger than 3KB, and neither will it download them. It has to be selected from a link. I have not experimented with this.
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 17:45
benj,

you posted some comments and never replied when questioned, i can understand you getting bored but i'm just trying to understand what your saying.

quote:
http://esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=9306&forum=14&start=20
"Both Vodafone and BT WAP gateways will support higher limit than 3 Kb, you just have to have the right phone for the job - when the phone connects to the Gateway, they negotiate a limit - SE T68i is 3Kb through the browser. "

my spec:
R2B025
connecting via Genie/o2 free wap dial-up
gateway address 194.237.106.73 (courtesy of spikee_3D)
successfully downloaded any given screensaver greater than 3KB from esato's wap site.

anymore info you require let me know.
BBBold on T-Mobile UK
alibabaxx
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-20 18:32
Hi,

sorry if this sounds really dumb but I am new to using the wap on my t68i. I too want to download stuff greater than 3kb and have been reading some of the replies on how to do this. Where is it that I type in the IP addresses that you have displayed in order to download bigger files??

benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-21 01:11
Hello

Decoy7 - fair enough mate, apologies for going off on one.

Right, to clarify - both Voda and BT gateways will happily negotiate a limit up to 8 Kb. This I know because I have a phone that can do this. The result is that you can pull through an image up to about 7.6 Kb.

As regards LDT ( large data transfer ) though, neither gateway to the best of my knowledge supports this ( I am happy to be proved wrong ).

The problem with the ip addresses supplied is potentially to do with your method of access - GPRS can have some tight limitations imposed on what you can access - due to the way the routing works up to and through the GGSN ( the node that allows you access to the internet )

Possibly you can have more success with dial-up ( have not bothered with trying this too much since GPRS is that much faster ).

So in summary, in the UK I don't reckon there are any operator gateways that support LDT. You MAY be able to configure your phone to access a public gateway that DOES support, but that depends to a degree on what the operator is doing with the internet access.

As regards where to configure the gateway in the T68, it is as follows. You can create DATA ACCOUNTS first of all. These can be used for WAP, Email, MMS, or when using your phone as a modem. Once you have created your DATA ACCOUNT you can then go to the WAP option, and create a WAP PROFILE. The WAP PROFILE will have a setting where it calls the DATA ACCOUNT of your choosing. Another one of the options in the WAP PROFILE is for the gateway ip address. This is where the ip addresses mentioned would go.

Hope that is clearer now.

benj
al1307
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-08-21 12:30
@benjytrainer

If T68i can only download 3k max, how comes I have the 22k 911 Theme downloaded thru GPRS

[ This Message was edited by: al1307 on 2002-08-21 11:31 ]
benjytrainer
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-08-21 13:53
Hello

Read the above posts, read any other related posts, and you will get the idea ...

Perhaps someone should do a sticky about this because it seems lots of people want to set up, but it can be a frustrating process

To answer the last post - you obviously have an operator with a gateway that supports LDT, that's why.

benj
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi