Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Tips and tricks > K750i / W800i- Power User Tips & Tricks

Previous  123 45 ... 242526  Next
Author K750i / W800i- Power User Tips & Tricks
hellsat
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 09:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I use the profile "In car" guess where? In the car
Guess what, I have a car charger in there

Having the backlight on in the car where power is no problem is in fact very comfortable. I can see the clock on the phone whitout having to touch the phone to light it up.
I don't wear a clock since I use the phones clock. I do have a clock in the car, but it's integrated with the car RDS radio, so I have to choose between RDS info or clock info.

So thanks to the programmers that actually do make helpfull feature
private
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 10:43
Quote:

On 2005-06-26 14:09:59, Andaho wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-06-26 12:43:54, private wrote:

dosen't k750 use lithium polymer battery? or both are same?

Hey, you're right, I never even noticed lol. But after reading on the battery university site;

Li-polymer Is technically lithium-ion-polymer, a small variation of the li-ion battery. It's a different cell formation containing polymer to allow for slim batteries. But it still has all the same characteristics and performance of the classic lithium-ion battery.

[ This Message was edited by: Andaho on 2005-06-26 13:25 ]

i've heard that recharge cycles of li-po batt. are low compared to li-on. after 300-400 charge cycles, they tend to lose their optimium power. is it true?
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 11:23
Quote:

On 2005-06-27 10:43:00, private wrote:

i've heard that recharge cycles of li-po batt. are low compared to li-on. after 300-400 charge cycles, they tend to lose their optimium power. is it true?

They have several paragraphs on the li-poly battery towards the bottom of this page http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-5.htm

They mention a limitation of li-poly is "Lower energy density and decreased cycle count compared to lithium-ion."

They also say "what then is the difference between classic lithium-ion and lithium-ion-polymer? Although the characteristics and performance of the two systems are similar, the lithium-ion-polymer is unique in that solid electrolyte replaces the porous separator. The gelled electrolyte is simply added to enhance ion conductivity."

Everything in my "don't drain the battery" heading is correct to li-poly batteries, although you are correct, li-poly batteries have a "decreased cycle count compared to lithium-ion".

Before you ask me; I can't find the answer to - if a partial top-up charge would count as a cycle? If I was to guess, I'd assume not.

The bottom line with recent li-poly batteries in mobile phones is to not treat them as nickel batteries, e.g. don't deliberatley drain them before charging (apart from once every few months to keep the battery power meter accurate).
There's 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
private
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 13:46
@andaho

Thanks for the great info.

i personally think a partial charge would not be considered as a cycle or 2-3 partial charges may be considered as a cycle. as lithium batteries don't have this memory effect, a full charge can only be considered as a comlete charging cycle.

anyways, the lesser charging cycles, we have to change our batteries more frequently.
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 14:15
Quote:

On 2005-06-27 13:46:51, private wrote:

anyways, the lesser charging cycles, we have to change our batteries more frequently.

I never personally have a phone longer than a year... free upgrade phone, then sell old one on ebay
There's 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
private
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 16:53
That's a great idea. changing mobiles every year.
Itanium
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-27 18:07
Exactly. Battery life time should not generally be an issue these days. Even if we consider only 300 charge cycles, and say a relatively heavy use (3 charges a week) you still end up with 100 weeks ( ~ 2 years) of battery life. Thats more than enough for most of the people, I guess.

If you are such a heavy user that you have to charge daily, well you should infact keep a spare battery in hand anyhow
mahdogzbite
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-28 14:47
This would be my second question for this class. I guess this really reveals my ranking in the electro-geek's heiarchy...

I have a K750i and I know little about batteries. I do know that I bought the phone with a 3.6V li-polymer battery and that I've heard somewhere that it's not good for the batt-life if you start charging it while the phone still has some juice / power.
I take a lot of pictures with my K750i everyday and always view them on my PC right away. But upon hooking the phone to my PC with the supplied USB cable, the phone starts charging.

Would this decrease my phone-battery's standby time / life?

gr3gg0
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2005-06-28 16:16
@mahdog...

well obviously SE thought of this, so if it was going to be that big of a problem they woudln't allow it to happen coz then everyone comes back whining to them abot their batteries...
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-06-28 18:12
Quote:

On 2005-06-28 14:47:47, mahdogzbite wrote:

I've heard somewhere that it's not good for the batt-life if you start charging it while the phone still has some juice / power.

Lots of questions about the battery keep coming on this thread, I must not be making myself clear when I say "There is no battery memory effect with a lithium battery - you can charge the battery whenever you like without fear of reducing its charge capacity, and you do not need to drain a lithium battery completely before recharging it."

What you have heard about "charging it while the phone still has some juice" applies to nickel-based batteries. All phones these days come with lithium-based batteries.

I'll make myself clearer by attempting to explain how older nickel-based batteries like to be drained...

When cells in a nickel-based battery sit unused for too long they will harden into a rock form, and become unusable. For example; if you charge a nickel based battery when it is 50% used, the bottom 50% of the battery will begin to harden. The cells close to the top of the charge will harden quicker.

I've noticed this with my electric drill (which uses a Nickel-based battery); A friend borrowed it and had put it on charge having only used it for about half of it's battery. During my next use, the drill started to lose power early... I proceeded to drain the battery, and after a couple minutes holding the trigger, it started to gain power again until it was almost back to full speed... the drill took about 15-20 minutes to run out completely.

The so-called rock content is present in form of a crystalline formation, also known as memory. It can be repaired by doing a full discharge, but left for too long, it will become un-repairable. This is why nickel-based batteries come from the shop empty, and when being stored for over a month or two, should be drained first.

There are no chemicals in a lithium-based battery which will harden like in a nickel-based battery, hence; no memory effect.

Lithium-based batteries are best stored at 40% capacity, and come from the manufacturer at 40%. As Dragonfly_TP said earlier: "operating voltage is 2.4 to 3.8 volts, below 2.4v damages the battery!". At 40% capacity they are at the perfect medium voltage for storage.

Having said all that, it's also good to know that lithium-based batteries do not need to be left for a long first charge. I quote the following from http://www.batteryuniversity.com : "Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days."

I hope now I've explained everything you want to know. In saying that, if you do have any more questions about batteries, it might be an idea to start a new thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Andaho on 2005-06-28 19:10 ]
mahdogzbite
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-28 20:03
Yeah. Thanks...

But, you know, having read all that... I suddenly realized something. We shouldn't even be wasting time and skin on our finger tips by discussing about all this... but it's fun and that's why we do it, right?

Why should it bother us that battery capacity will be optimum within the first twelve months only, when by that time we will probably already be drooling for the newest SE phone, which comes with a brand new battery that's totally different from previous SE generations? People battle it out over facts, use so much time to prove each other wrong, while a new battery for today's latest phones costs a buck more than a newly released DVD, so why the fo'schnizzle should it really be that big a deal?

But it's fun... that's why we do it.

Just a thought.

[ This Message was edited by: mahdogzbite on 2005-06-28 19:07 ]
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-06-28 20:17
Quote:

On 2005-06-28 20:03:14, mahdogzbite wrote:

But it's fun... that's why we do it.

I like to know how everything works inside out

My point to mentioning about the battery is because before I knew this about the li-ion batteries, I used to always drain it before a charge... and if you do that all the time (like I used to), you'll notice a reduced capacity of the battery in around 3 months. If treated properly, a lithium battery will only lose 20% after the first year (hardly noticable in a year at all).
tpapag
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-29 18:21
Any tips to take best pictures in a variety of conditions? (Room,room no light,night little light etc.)
vd0t
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-30 09:08
for li-ion bats..
i heard that u should drain them once in a while (even tho they dont have memory) just for "conditioning" purposes. around once every 1-2 months.
n also drain after the first couple cycles.

any thoughts on that?
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-06-30 14:36
Quote:

On 2005-06-30 09:08:50, vd0t wrote:

for li-ion bats..
i heard that u should drain them once in a while (even tho they dont have memory) just for "conditioning" purposes. around once every 1-2 months.
n also drain after the first couple cycles.

any thoughts on that?

A new lithium-ion battery does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack.

However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation (e.g. will make the 'battery remaining' meter more accurate). This should be done once every 2-3 months.

Note: The digital circuit in a 'smart' battery is primairly there to stop the charge falling below the minimum operating voltage. Turning your phone on again when it switches itself off may damage the circuit.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 242526  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic