Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > OK, OK, the K750i is good but what about SMS storage?

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Author OK, OK, the K750i is good but what about SMS storage?
MacC00l
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-17 20:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:
Wait, are you saying that a simple firmware upgrade can increase the amount of availible memory that is installed in a phone? If it were that easy, why hasn't Davinci or TMS done this? Can you provide some supporting information to back up this claim?

I don't think you understood, what he was saying. He wasn't talking about physically increasing the amount of memory in the phone. What he means is by doing some sort of software upgrade remove the phone's OS' limitation to save the messages at a specific place in the memory.
So, if now the limit is ~200 messages, then by doing a firmware upgrade the OS would not save the messages in those 200 slots, but use the available memory (be it onboard or on MemoryStick) to save the messages there. Thus enabling the user to use as much of the available memory as he sees fit.

Hope I got it right.

I think this would be good. And what's this about fixed slots for the messages? I don't understand why the messages don't take up the actual space in Bytes in the memory.
Say, someone doesn't install anything on his K750i's onboard memory, he es more than 32.000 KB of memory to save SMS, MMS, E-Mails or whatever. That would be many, many SMS.
(now it is completely irrelevant to aks the question WHY anyone would like to save so many messages. No one asks why you would want to save so many E-Mails. And people have mailboxes with 100s of MBs of E-Mails).

I had hoped SE would have done this in the first place. But now we have to hope for a firmware upgrade.
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-17 21:40
Having capacity over 100, 200 or whatever is somewhat pointless to me, but not to others. The reason is, the message 'conversations' are disjointed. With other words you have an inbox and sent items, but no easy way to link them. So if you were sending messages back and forth to a person, you have to go to a message in the inbox, then lookup the message in your sent items to recall the conversation.

What I would like to see is an application that will let us 'thread' sms conversations. Make SMS more like a chat program (msn, aol, trillian etc). And I don't mean use SMS for those, I know that's already possible. I mean be able to communicate with someone back and forth using SMS (their phone number not msn id or whatever). The Palm Treo 600/650 has this capability and it is very very useful. I have a friend who has all sms chat conversations he's had since he bought the phone. When he sends an SMS to a user, it continues where the last conversation with this user left off. so it's an ongoing Log.
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-11-18 18:17
Quote:

On 2005-11-17 21:40:13, Tervel wrote:
Having capacity over 100, 200 or whatever is somewhat pointless to me, but not to others. The reason is, the message 'conversations' are disjointed. With other words you have an inbox and sent items, but no easy way to link them. So if you were sending messages back and forth to a person, you have to go to a message in the inbox, then lookup the message in your sent items to recall the conversation.

What I would like to see is an application that will let us 'thread' sms conversations. Make SMS more like a chat program (msn, aol, trillian etc). And I don't mean use SMS for those, I know that's already possible. I mean be able to communicate with someone back and forth using SMS (their phone number not msn id or whatever). The Palm Treo 600/650 has this capability and it is very very useful. I have a friend who has all sms chat conversations he's had since he bought the phone. When he sends an SMS to a user, it continues where the last conversation with this user left off. so it's an ongoing Log.

I would think that this is more of a smartphone application rather than something for a Java based phone. Just a guess.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-18 20:03
perhaps it is, however since there are already plenty of Java based MSN chat clients (haven't found a decent AIM one yet), I don't see why it couldn't be made for SMS?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-11-19 21:19
Quote:

On 2005-11-18 20:03:31, Tervel wrote:
perhaps it is, however since there are already plenty of Java based MSN chat clients (haven't found a decent AIM one yet), I don't see why it couldn't be made for SMS?

The reason being maybe that there is really no market or need. Most people (people that I know) tend to not load up their phones with SMS. Your phone still has to keep track of each and every single SMS and this takes CPU cycles no matter how small. Second, this also takes memory, so the trade-off can not be seen in practical terms. I am sure that if there were a market for it, someone would have made it by now, not to mention the fact of how to program for a Java application to act as a storage device. I just can not see the practical side of doing this.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
mcrosser
C901 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-19 22:50
perhaps SE could put an extra memory stick slot just for SMS storage?
bikemama
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 00:29
Oh yes, 2 gigabytes at least....

[ This Message was edited by: bikemama on 2005-11-19 23:30 ]
Tervel
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-11-21 08:00
@sapporobaby
It's true that probably there isn't a market for this feature but I believe it is not because people don't want it but rather because peopel don't know about it. What I mean by this is that people are so used to having disjointed sms conversations that they just haven't made the connection of sms and chat (AIM/MSN/Trillian style). My T637 had a limited chat capability - I could start an SMS as just a single message or start a 'chat' session in which I could view both what I've sent and what I've recieved so I believe that SE at some point of time decided that it might be worthy application.

As far as cpu cycles to view SMS messages - that would be true of a native application in its current state. A Java application would only have to load a pre-defined number of lines of conversation at a time. As far as Java writing to a 'database' - I'm not sure since I'm not a programmer. And then there's the memory issue you brought up. With almost 40mb of storage on the internal memory + MS slot, I don't believe that the amount of space an sms log would take would be a problem.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi