Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > OK, OK, the K750i is good but what about SMS storage?

Author OK, OK, the K750i is good but what about SMS storage?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-10-24 07:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2005-10-24 07:20:13, jcpsad wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-10-24 07:05:21, sapporobaby wrote:
What do you mean "maximize" If the phone has a limited amount of memory, then you have a limit to the amount of things that can be stored there. It is very simple. It is physics.

what i mean is not to limit SMS to 200 only, make use of the phone memory, if it has 30MB then one can opt to use it for SMS only. no need for phgysics thingy...

Do you know the difference between "phone" memory and "user" memory?

The OS requires a certain amount to operate. If they, SE and other manufacturers decide to limit this memory to a ceratin amount and the other memory (user) to a certain amount, then this is all you have. No software thingie will get around this. You can also save SMS's on your SIM card. Not to be intrusive but why would anyone want more than 200 SMS on their phone? It would make more sense to use software and store them on your PC.
*edited on a Mac of course. Mac: There is no substitute*

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
jcpsad
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-24 07:31
i guess you have never tried any MS smartphone... anyway won't argue with you... that 30mb is just an example (it does not include the OS usage)...

[ This Message was edited by: jcpsad on 2005-10-24 06:32 ]
jcpsad
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-24 07:35
And also don't give me something like K750 is not a smartphone. i am merely suggesting coz it is possible with a firmware upgrade...
www.photos.panelo.com
www.panelo.com
www.bilog.panelo.com
www.pbalive.panelo.com
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-10-24 08:33
Quote:

On 2005-10-24 07:35:12, jcpsad wrote:
And also don't give me something like K750 is not a smartphone. i am merely suggesting coz it is possible with a firmware upgrade...

Wait, are you saying that a simple firmware upgrade can increase the amount of availible memory that is installed in a phone? If it were that easy, why hasn't Davinci or TMS done this? Can you provide some supporting information to back up this claim?

N82(YES), iPhone 3G, Shure es530, Nikon D300, more stuff. No more SE stuff, why am I still here?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-10-24 08:39
Quote:

On 2005-10-24 07:31:46, jcpsad wrote:
i guess you have never tried any MS smartphone... anyway won't argue with you... that 30mb is just an example (it does not include the OS usage)...

[ This Message was edited by: jcpsad on 2005-10-24 06:32 ]

Back this up with some facts please. This is like saying, "the max memory is 30 mb or 1 gig, what ever you want it to be". This does not make sense. If I am incorrect, please prove it.

jcpsad
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-24 08:39
Quote:

Wait, are you saying that a simple firmware upgrade can increase the amount of availible memory that is installed in a phone? If it were that easy, why hasn't Davinci or TMS done this? Can you provide some supporting information to back up this claim?

you're not reading, i did not say a firmware can increase the available memory... you know the answer is simple. i may accept if you just said every phone has its advantages and disadvantages.... that would be okay.

read my posts again and again... enough with this... not worth it
www.photos.panelo.com
www.panelo.com
www.bilog.panelo.com
www.pbalive.panelo.com
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-10-24 08:50
Quote:

On 2005-10-24 08:39:10, jcpsad wrote:
Quote:

you're not reading, i did not say a firmware can increase the available memory... you know the answer is simple. i may accept if you just said every phone has its advantages and disadvantages.... that would be okay.

read my posts again and again... enough with this... not worth it

I am not trying to argue with you and as I read them your posts are not very clear. You mention that a firmware can fix this. I asked you to explain how. You failed to elaborate on this.

kodanshi
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 07:01
Funny is it me or ..? i mean when i used da myphoneexplorer...it says i can have a storage of 200 sms...but when i tried to store like around 150..i was stuck there..saying its full..you cant stored anymore sms...X_X anyone can help me with these? and...if i were to set a delivery report,will it stored it in other directories or will it just auto delete it? thanks...
Angelical_1
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 07:41
Quote:

On 2005-10-26 07:01:44, kodanshi wrote:
Funny is it me or ..? i mean when i used da myphoneexplorer...it says i can have a storage of 200 sms...but when i tried to store like around 150..i was stuck there..saying its full..you cant stored anymore sms...X_X anyone can help me with these? and...if i were to set a delivery report,will it stored it in other directories or will it just auto delete it? thanks...

It depends on the length of the messages.. and for mms, how large the message is (ie: containing images etc)

Kind Regards Angelical_1
corny
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 10:28
Forgive me for being a bit slow, but counting aside how does one see the no. of messages on the phone in the folders?

I know about the sent counter, in time and cost but what about actually stored?
sapporobaby
J110 Cream
PM
Posted: 2005-10-26 13:11
Quote:

On 2005-10-26 07:01:44, kodanshi wrote:

You have to remember a multi part message is counted as one message, so if you have many multi-part messages, you numbers will vary. My question is, why would anyone want to store 100 plus messages on their phone. You take a performance hit because the phone, just like a computer has to keep track of everything. Why not install some computer software and then offload the SMS to a PC. Seems like a smarter thing to do.

corny
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-27 15:13
How does one see the no. of messages on the phone in the inbox etc?
jfunk
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-11-01 20:41
To check the number of messages on your phone, go to File Manager > More > Memory Status
corny
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-02 10:31
Cheers for that, had no idea of that menu! Could only see them when the memory was full and asking to delete some!

nirubhay
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-11-16 21:37
Quote:

On 2005-05-17 12:24, bodhi_up wrote:

Does the K750i only have the pooooor 100 max. storage for SMS? If so then I am afraid that SE are going to lose out to Nokia in this field seeing as a large part of revenue of GSM operators comes from SMS.

this fella might have stated in wrong words but its the fact!
there is large turnover due to sms/mms itself. so mobile manufacturers should not ignore on sms features.
here in colleges sms is used like we talk.... almost every one having mobile in college sends minimum 5 sms in a day. because sms are cheaper and convenient.
in festive seasons the traffic due to sms is so HUGE that sometimes it takes more than 24 hours to deliver the sms! even i sent around 40 sms greetings in a day. and received more than that... the more friends/relatives you have more are messages. and it is really hurts to delete the sms from my dear ones. even the forwards are sometimes worth storing for fun.

Quote:

On 2005-10-24 07:24:39, sapporobaby wrote:

Not to be intrusive but why would anyone want more than 200 SMS on their phone? It would make more sense to use software and store them on your PC.

now about you.... it is clear that you won't understand because u don't have those many sms or you may not want to. but i do get messages that are worth storing, forwarding and reading them when you have nothing else to do. and it is not necessary to have pc to use mobile. the 100, 200 or any limit is certainly not acceptble when i have free memory... either on phone or on card. leave the technical limitations but, it does not seem logical.

i purchased k750i because my earlier mobile had small phonebook. now don't tell me that i'll have to buy another for more messages.....

one more irritation..... if you have added max recipients (20) for any sms in drafts, the phone becomes damn slow.... i count in MINUTES to open drafts and view/edit/send ANY sms. can anyone explain this?
and for heavens sake, plz don't ask WHY YOU WANT TO SEND MESSAGE TO 20 PEOPLE?........ I JUST WANT TO.... IS THAT ENOUGH?
i wish firmware upgrade could handle these problems....

btw, one feature is good with the recipients list. if sending fails for anyone in the list, when next time you try to send it, it will start from where it left.

[ This Message was edited by: nirubhay on 2005-11-16 20:46 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi