Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > New Zealanders

Previous  123 ... 179180181 ... 203204205  Next
Author New Zealanders
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-01-07 00:24
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well i've come to auckland for the day. I'm in albany and not enjoying the heat! I have to walk everywhere, trying to find a flat. Wish me luck!
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-01-07 21:04
Came back to Christchurch last night and I think I've secured an apartment in Albany which is literally seconds away from where I'm studying. Also while in Auckland I managed to score myself a nice sunburn and some blisters. I think I walked around 10-15km, maybe more in the heat yesterday.
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-08 02:30
Lol should have worn sunblock.
Evilchap
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 05:24
so are you working as well as studying while your up here? I know a few students and they find it rough living in Auckland on student money
[ This Message was edited by: Evilchap on 2010-01-08 04:29 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 05:39

On 2010-01-07 00:24:21, Muhammad-Oli wrote:
Well i've come to auckland for the day. I'm in albany and not enjoying the heat!

You're the only one saying that! The weather has been glorious - I've been to beaches across the Coromandel, North Shore, West Auckland and East Auckland in the past few weeks and it's been absolutely awesome. Do invest in some sunblock though...

On 2010-01-07 00:24:21, Muhammad-Oli wrote:
I have to walk everywhere, trying to find a flat. Wish me luck!

Owning a car in Auckland is a necessity as you found out. Even more so in Albany as it is a long walk from your campus in the Albany Village to the Mega Centre/Westfield Mall and from there to the bus station.
At least you'll be close to a Speight's pub for a taste of home.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2010-01-08 04:47 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-01-08 12:19
@yea g: Funny you should say that. I had sunblock with me but as my dad dropped me off at the airport, he said, "Don't take that, you won't need it!", so I left it in my car and well, I did need it. Of course, I only realised I was getting burnt when I was about a kilometre away from anywhere that sells sunblock. So by the time I got to the shops, I was well and truly burnt.

@Evilchap: Good to see you back round these parts.
I will definitely be looking for a job because our rent isn't that cheap (but it is reasonable for three of us) if we get the place we have applied for. I am looking to maybe continue working for Timezone when I get up to Auckland because the company at least knows I'm trustworthy (and my uncle might be able to score me a job again!).

@carkitter: Well I did like the heat, it was more that I wasn't so prepared for it and am not so used to it. Everyone in Albany is tanned and when I looked in a bathroom mirror at the mall I was a pale white, with red cheeks. Suffering in the heat I guess. I'm a Tomato now.

You know, I did that walk from Albany Village to the bus station four times on Thursday. According to Google Maps on my phone, it's around 2km each way. I don't mind that walk, but I can see what you're getting at. I won't want to be doing that several times a week. But if we get the place we applied for, my car can stay home all day. I was quite surprised because I didn't know until I got there, but the place is literally next door to my campus.
mweaich
Model not set
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-12 06:52
Hello guys I was wondering what carriers you guys use, ie: vodacom or MTN; I could teach you guys how to browse/download/upload all for free (^^,)
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-13 01:40
Sorry but, none of those tricks work on NZ mobile companies. It is also a form of stealing, and therefore illegal, and I'm pretty sure we don't discuss illegal things here on this forum
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-14 02:45

On 2010-01-12 06:52:07, mweaich wrote:
Hello guys I was wondering what carriers you guys use, ie: vodacom or MTN; I could teach you guys how to browse/download/upload all for free (^^,)

I get 3.25GB of Vodafone 3G data to my iPhone and 3GB of Vodafone 3G to my Vodem Stick with another 3GB available for a small extra fee plus free wifi-based ADSL2+ landline internet provided by my landlord (included in my rent) plus free community wifi available at public libraries in my city. I even have a 3G wifi router which can turn my car into a mobile wifi hotspot. I have internet access protruding from every orifice. No thanks.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-25 00:32
Hampton Downs is open!!!

No need to tell you what this is:

This is a Ferrari 512 Berlinetta Boxer:

CamAm cars entering the left hander hairpin...

...which has a downhill braking area, a decreasing radius entry and is followed by a short straight and medium speed right hand corner. This corner is complex, easily misjudged, has at least 2 cornering lines and is perfect for criss-crossing other drivers. It's crucial to get it right because getting it wrong could give an overtaking competitor the advantage in the following right hander which leads on to the front straight.

Denny Hulme's McLaren CanAm car at about 200km/h on the front straight:

This track, while only 2/3 finished at present, is simply awesome. It's one of those tracks where cars will battle from corner to corner and there will be close finishes aplenty. It will produce some unbelievable motorcycle racing - I hope when the other 1/3 of the track is built, the full size venue will attract Moto GP because I would love to see Valentino Rossi do a masterclass on it.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-01-25 14:15
Wow, lucky you carkitter! Nice pictures too. It's been too long since I visited a decent racetrack. Ruapuna down here doesn't really cut it, and before that I've only really been to Bathurst and not on a racing day. What are the chances of Moto GP choosing Hampton Downs do you think?

Man I love McLaren F1s too... Is that an LM?

EDIT: Actually I went to Le Mans back in 2000 as well, but again, not on a racing day unfortunately. Good museums at both Le Mans and Bathurst.
[ This Message was edited by: Muhammad-Oli on 2010-01-25 13:16 ]
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-27 02:11
It is one of 3 McLarens with engines uprated to LM spec (which was actually detuned compared to road spec) but now derestricted and capable of 390km/h (up from 372km/h). It recently had a service which meant a technician flew to NZ and removed the engine from the car to carry out routine maintenance (Ferrari maintenance requires an engine removal too, every 2yrs). I love McLaren F1s, they are simply the world's best car without a doubt. The last one to sell went for approx $6m so even a Lotto win won't buy one unfortunately. I have a ticket in tonight's Big Wednesday draw BTW.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-27 11:06
Tweet from 2Degrees:
At the crack of dawn tomorrow we will be unveiling three, 1-day, online only handset offers. Be in quick.

Also early tomorrow (7am) Engadget's full coverage of the Apple event largely expected to unveil a touchscreen tablet.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2010-01-27 16:46

On 2010-01-27 02:11:23, carkitter wrote:
It is one of 3 McLarens with engines uprated to LM spec (which was actually detuned compared to road spec) but now derestricted and capable of 390km/h (up from 372km/h). It recently had a service which meant a technician flew to NZ and removed the engine from the car to carry out routine maintenance (Ferrari maintenance requires an engine removal too, every 2yrs). I love McLaren F1s, they are simply the world's best car without a doubt. The last one to sell went for approx $6m so even a Lotto win won't buy one unfortunately. I have a ticket in tonight's Big Wednesday draw BTW.

Wow, you know your facts! Not absolutely sure I've ever seen a McLaren F1, but I have a feeling I may have while in Europe in 2000. A green one in France maybe? But not an LM. It's definitely one of my all-time favourite cars too. It's one of those late 80s/early 90s supercars that are still amazing today, like the Ferrari F40, Jag XJ220, Bugatti EB110 and Lamborghini Diablo. The Ferrari F40 being my all-time absolute favourite car.

Did you win anything on Big Wednesday?

Oh and those 2degrees deals are pretty terrible. With those one day deals, they're only really matching their rivals.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-01-27 23:59
There was a guy on hand to tell me a bout this particular car.
The Ferrari info came from a fellow automotive pre-trade student who had work experience organised for him at Continental Cars Ferrari department - yes, I was GUTTED when I heard that! I did my work experience at Albany Ford (now defunct) mostly washing cars.

No luck with Big Wednesday unfortunately.

4 and Rotary Nationals this weekend, show on Sat, drags on Sunday. I might go, I haven't been since 2005. Anyone else?
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 179180181 ... 203204205  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic