Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > New Zealanders

Previous  123 ... 173174175 ... 203204205  Next
Author New Zealanders
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 01:21
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thanks guys on the advice. I tried the wifi and its working but I have to wait for Tworld to stop and give me the error and then have to enter an address or bookmark to use the wifi. Streaming through wifi doesnt work (ie Youtube), It does go into Youtube and I can search videos etc I have it all set up the same but still doesnt stream videos. Any thoughts?

Yeah I can wait for 3g, I think 2degrees runs off EDGE anyway as my old W810i used it and it was great!!
soane28
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 03:55
The LG Arena has arrived

Well, an interesting phone i have to say. Completely different to the Renoir, Completely different. I wouldnt even notice that it was an LG based on what i already know with the Renoir. Incredible changes, gotta give it to LG, they have been working very hard

Music quality is good once you sort out a decent pair of headphones, the ones in the box distort as soon as you put on a bass equalizer. Its rather close to my sony mp3 player i used to have, although they need to tone down the treble just a tad (im extremely fussy when it comes to music so bare with me).

S class is very nice, like the graphics and pleasing looks that it has, much better than the boring Renoir UI.

Need to get used to a capacitive screen, its quite different compared to resistive. No need to press hard to get results.

Ill post photos soonish, still have much to look at....
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-11-03 04:54
Oh, the streaming through wifi thing is very router specific IIRC. Some routers will just do it out of box, some need settings changed and some wont do it at all
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 05:49
@chunkybeats: This might be a dumb question, but before you attempt to use Wifi, do you press the activity menu button, select 'Wifi', then 'turn on'? On my Aino which should be the same, I turn the Wifi on first and then it always connects using Wifi before asking to try 3G/GPRS.

@soane28: Good to hear you're enjoying your new phone. That S-Class UI does look tasty, so I look forward to hearing more comments on it from you.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
soane28
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 08:08
After a longer time with Arena...
LG need to sort out their web browsing! Very clunky when moving around the pages, text never got the right zoom or fit perfectly within your screen.
I do like the new camera look and UI much better than the Renoir. Photos are not as bad as expected, same goes for the video quality, was pleasantly surprised.
Music has changed so much - hugest improvement ive seen from LG. Decent settings and layout and looks great.
At times it can be abit jittery for example looking through the gallery. Not as fluid as some phones out at the moment.
LG definitely have the visual appeal, although they have to make sure that their phones are fast enough to process the UI
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 20:35
@Muhammad-Oli: Its ok man its better to ask these questions. Yes I always turn on the wifi first then the little menu pulls down for which connection you wish to select. I think I might have to debrand my phone, can I debrand the w995a? or is it Telecom dependent? Where can I get it done in NZ?
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 21:01
Debranding won't improve the wifi performance, just void your warranty. I'd keep the warranty intact if I was unhappy with any aspect of a phone's performance.

@soane28
How does the Arena handle multiple email accounts?
Are there any downloadable apps? Weather Apps? GPS?
What's the Photo Gallery like?
Is auto-rotate of the screen fast? Can you rotate email and txt screens?
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-11-03 20:07 ]
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
soane28
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-03 22:21
carkitter - havent tryed email yet, but thats a good thought.
Apps im still trying to work out, cant seem to find the widget options, theres two present on the widget homescreen but no option to put more on? Must be blind
Photo gallery is really good, the pinch zoom is superior - I dont know if any other phone could make looking at pictures so easy. Really like the layout too, as you can see all photos from a particular date then just swipe up to go back to other pictures really cool.
Auto rotate is generally quick, instant in the menu, in music it takes a little longer. You have auto rotate in texting and the qwerty keypad looks useful, just need some practice. Not too sure about emails but im guessing it would be there.

Chunkybeats - that really sucks! Could you take it back and explain the situation? Im sure if you show them they will have to do something about it? Sounds like its the preset stuff telecoms put on board thats mucking around!
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-11-04 01:26
@soane28 - Yeah it sucks, my w995a is from Trademe and I got it for an amazing price ($500), so no come back and I knew about that already. I think I will debrand it as I had a familiar problem when I was back at home in Ireland, where my w810i was branded with TMobile and I got it debranded and it was so quicker and everything worked perfectly. Any ideas where I can debrand it? Im in Wellington though, not much choice down here compared to Auckland.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-11-04 01:39
Any debranding done in New Zealand will need to be done yourself. There are plenty of tutorials right here on Esato.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-04 02:48

On 2009-11-04 01:26:02, chunkybeats wrote:
@soane28 - Yeah it sucks, my w995a is from Trademe and I got it for an amazing price ($500), so no come back and I knew about that already...

Yeah, but Telecom and SE don't know that. Just tell them you bought it in Auckland on your travels, or that you've lost the proof of purchase. It's clearly XT branded so they can't argue it's an import, and it's obviously not 1yr old so SE warranty still applies. Try and get some info out of the previous owner to back up your story ie: date of purchase and location but don't be too specific because Telecom will probably be able to trace the exact details. If all else fails, tell them it was a gift.
soane28
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-04 05:20
Taking it in and telling them what they need to hear is worth a shot, although i think you need to have proof of a warranty before they do anything for free?

Debranding is easy enough look for the latest firmware for W995 and there are tutorials here and also on the net for guidance.
chunkybeats
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-11-04 07:42
Thanks guys but I dont think Telecom will listen I have had this problem before with TMobile when I was at home and they needed proof of purchase and receipt so its a no go, but if it is easy as my w810i was, it should be no problem to debrand. I think there is a place in Lower Hutt that does repairs and probably will do unlocking, debranding so will check it out.
Evilchap
Xperia Arc Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-06 06:28
if you have no POP I would advise going through the lads at the SE call centre instead of a Telecom store. I can give you a couple of names there of some helpfull folks if you wish. I wouldnt advise debranding if its only to fix the wifi problem, unlikely to make a difference.
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-11-06 06:38
I think the wifi will sort itself out, it did on my G705
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2009-11-06 05:43 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 173174175 ... 203204205  Next