12  Next
Author Deleting preinstalled games
macciavelli
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-04-14 22:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello all,

I've recently thought of deleting all the games from my phone and I devised such trick. Hope it's new and helpful.

I got a .jar file, any file actually, opened it with WinRAR and deleted everything inside except the META-INF folder. In that folder I left only one file MANIFEST.MF. The sections in this file are

Manifest-Version:
MicroEdition-Configuration:
MicroEdition-Profile:
MIDlet-Name:
MIDlet-1:
MIDlet-Icon:
MIDlet-Version:
MIDlet-Vendor:
Nokia-MIDlet-Category:

I've changed the section MIDlet-Name to read the exact name of the game I want to delete, and the section MIDlet-Vendor to read the exact vendor name as shown in Info of the game (under More/Info).

After this I sent the .jar file to the cellphone using K700 Dateimanager and serial cable and when asked, told to overwrite the existing version of the game.

This way I've been able to delete Darts, Fighters, SC-PT (Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow) and Super Real Tennis on my K500.

Below is the contents of MANIFEST.MF which replaces the existing Darts game on K500.

Manifest-Version: 1.0
MicroEdition-Configuration: CLDC-1.0
MicroEdition-Profile: MIDP-1.0
MIDlet-Name: Darts
MIDlet-1: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, /icon.png, cMIDlet
MIDlet-Icon: /icon.png
MIDlet-Version: 1.1.1
MIDlet-Vendor: Sony Ericsson
Nokia-MIDlet-Category: Game

Hope it was helpful. I just hate when ppl take my phone and start playing. Plus too much playing damages the joystick, which on SE phones is not very durable anyway.

macciavelli
blayv
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-14 23:36
Very cunning. I like it.

This message was posted from a T610

N-er-G
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-16 17:08
Cool, I was thinkin' of this to, but did't had time to experiment. Very cool, bravo
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-04-16 17:19
You are da man.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
altemyr
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-04-17 01:23
Cool, Anyone that knows of a similar method to get rid of pictures stored read-only as a result of an operator branding of the phone? I have a couple of Telia logos that cannot be removed.
blayv
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-17 02:20
There is a bit complicated method. But it's written in russian how to do it, and I will translate it when I finish with my exams in 2 weeks, cause I don't have that much time now. If you want send me your e-mail in private messages, with reminder that I should send you copy of translation.

govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-04-17 03:34
Nice trick. I may try it out.

This message was posted from a K500

macciavelli
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-04-17 11:00
@blayv

Can you give me the link of page, where it's explained how to delete the predefined pictures? I know russian and have a lot of free time so I can translate and post it here...
blayv
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-17 17:57
here
it's basically filling memory with files and a few extra steps.
macciavelli
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-04-17 21:08
OK, here goes the translation of the Russian text.

DELETING PICTURES (this is the complete manual, no menu movements except those described here should be made)

ATTENTION! COMPLETE RESET - complete reset of the phone! All objects are deleted from the phone, except the ones, preset by the manufacturer!

PREPARATION
1. Synchronize the phone with Outlook.
2. Save all objects (pictures, ringtones, themes)

START
1. Make complete reset (Settings -> Master Reset -> Reset All). Default reset code is 0000
2. After the phone has loaded you should turn off the greeting, wallpaper, screensaver and automatic keylock.
3. You should create a blank theme in Theme Creator Pro 3G (create a new theme and save it right away) and send it to the phone. Switch to that theme.
4. Take several large files (about 500, 200, 100, 10, 3, 1 kb)
5. Now we take the largest file, change its extension to .thm and send it to phone. This should be done several times until the free memory will be less than the size of this file. After we do the same with all other smaller files until the free memory will become 0.
8. Go to menu My sounds and check the free memory - 0 bytes.
9. Go to the phonebook, create a new contact with any name.
10. Go to phonebook -> Pictures and we assign to the contact the picture we want to delete. Message is displayed that there is no free memory and that the phone cannot open the picture, and the phone suggests to delete the picture what was to be done! Further we only need to see if the memory has been freed and if yes, fill it again with themes.
11. After deleting the pictures the phone should be restarted and all objects should be sent back to it.

P.S. Tested on SET610 R3C002. The pictures disappeared but the memory remained the same. Actually the pictures have only been hidden, remaining in the phone.

This is very good, but it says the memory will not be freed, so I don't understand the point of all of it
blayv
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-04-17 22:16
Well you can remove that stupid 2 predefined items- rose and flower. All the other come with branded firmware and can be removed with fw update. Some guy mentioned that extra memory can be obtained by some special line of flashing, but didn't say how.

tan_13heat
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2005-05-03 08:40
i tried the process for deletion of games.

i was able to clear the space use to 0kb, but i still can't delete the filename or the game name. is it supposed to be that way?

btw i have a k500

[ This Message was edited by: tan_13heat on 2005-05-03 07:44 ]
macciavelli
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-06 08:07
Yes the filenames still remain on k500. As my friend told me on t610 if you overwrite the preinstalled game (like minigolf) then you are able to delete but not on k series as far as I can see.
tan_13heat
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2005-05-09 22:52
ok thanks
blayv
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-05-10 00:03
There are apps for deleting 3 preinstalled games on k series. If you're interested i'll post links.

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi