Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Musicphone wars - Sony Ericsson - 1, Motorola - 0. Moto fails to strike a chord at CeBit

Previous  1234  Next
Author Musicphone wars - Sony Ericsson - 1, Motorola - 0. Moto fails to strike a chord at CeBit
ants
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 23:30
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Cant the K700i play iTunes with the R2AE033 firmware?
http://www.fullycommodores.tk
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-13 00:21
@scotsboyuk: i would agree with you, but not yet. it is still to soon. many years ago there where also MP-3 phones (sony and samsung had ones) but they didn't sell cause nobody was really intrested/didn't want it/didn't know it excisted.
in a way the W800 is the first of its kind. people need to discover it. if it would become a global hype then i would admit that you were right about the ordinary Joe going for the best thing from day one.
but i doubt it.
its abit the same as the first camera phones, they took marketshare from small cams, but not the big ones (yet), and the people who bought them were people like us, and not the ordinary Joes.
in a year or so the ordinary joe will be aware of all this.
while sales of the W800 will be booming arround xmas 2005. but the sales of the W800 or cheaper better version arround xmas 2006 could be twices as big as 2005 sales, IF the SE walkman phones win the contest amoung the coolest music phone.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
sapibobo
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-03-13 02:27
To ants : k700 is capable to play m4a (mp4) files that contains AAC in it- an audio format that iTunes fully supported. Dont be afraid to use iTunes as a converter as K7 will play the format from iTunes. And to me, mp4 (or m4a) is sound better than mp3.

This message was posted from a S700

ants
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-13 04:22
So the K7 fully supports apple iTunes?

[ This Message was edited by: ants on 2005-03-13 03:22 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 14:53
More woes for Moto. Now it has been pulled from Cebit and CTIA.

http://www.thestreet.com/_goo[....]=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

And according to this guy, Musicphones will be bigger than Cam phones.

http://www.thestreet.com/tech/scottmoritz/10200018.html

I would tend to agree wiht that Moritz guy in his article. Music phones might be even bigger than camphones. You see a lot more people listening to music when out and about than you do actually taking pictures with their Cameraphones.

I think they are gonna be massive.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2005-03-14 14:15 ]
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 17:39
i agree 100% i think music phones will be far more popular than camera phones, i dont think they will stop putting cameras in phones as its a nice money spinner for the networks. but music is something most people enjoy and 1 device that can do music and calls/sms will be a big draw for people
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 17:48
@slattery. And because networks make money from people downloading music from their own Wapsites they will be encouraging a wide range of choice for the consumer from musicphone manufacturers.

I am expecting big things from the manufacturers this year and next.
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 18:30
yes very true goldenface.if the networks can earn a few quid from music then again they will be all for it
i wonder how often people use the camera on there phone ie once a week once a day
compared to how often people listen music on the move. i would willing give up a camera on my phone if it would improve the output of quality of music, i use the camera once in a blue moon

[ This Message was edited by: slattery69 on 2005-03-14 17:31 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 20:16
I am off to London over Easter for a long Weekend. The W800 would be ideal. MP3 player for the 2.5 hour train journey mp cam for pics. I don't I would give up the cam for music.

Pity about Moto pulling their models from the shows. More competition is best In my opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2005-03-14 19:19 ]
m100
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 11:03
Ipods aren't much use if you do not have a computer.£400 upwards for a computer and £200 or more a year to go online is a lot of money for some people.People pay more for a ringtone or screensaver than for a track from itunes.Imagine how much money there is to be made when (that when not if) you can buy tracks and download it to your mobile in 3 minutes.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 11:11
Quote:

On 2005-03-13 00:21:21, bart wrote:
@scotsboyuk: i would agree with you, but not yet. it is still to soon. many years ago there where also MP-3 phones (sony and samsung had ones) but they didn't sell cause nobody was really intrested/didn't want it/didn't know it excisted.

And Siemens SL45 (my first mp3 playing phone) [addsig]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 11:38
Quote:

On 2005-03-15 11:03:08, m100 wrote:
Ipods aren't much use if you do not have a computer.£400 upwards for a computer and £200 or more a year to go online is a lot of money for some people.People pay more for a ringtone or screensaver than for a track from itunes.Imagine how much money there is to be made when (that when not if) you can buy tracks and download it to your mobile in 3 minutes.

I agree. This is one of the reasons why Motos models have been pulled.

Increasingly, we are seeing Networks having more influence over the manufacturers and after spending millions upgrading their networks to 2.5/3G, they desperately need to recoup some of this outlay and selling handsets to customers that don't allow music downloads must be so unattractive to them.

Which would mean them either being very expensive or redesigned to permit downloads.

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2005-03-15 12:13 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-15 13:16
@ Golden face: I agree with what you are saying but i think the networks wont sell that much music. The reasons would be because of probably poor quality downloads (160kbps on i tunes music store for example is not that good in my opionion and i don think network music downloads are going to be much better than that). And secondly If you buy a song from itunes you can easily burn a cd so you can listen to it in your car, bathroom, wherever. Its easy but for your average punter being able to get the music from your phone onto a cd is pretty difficult (plus using bluetooth or the usb cable is slow).

Also i dont see the convergence thing between phones and music happening. Me personally if im listening to my iPod and my mobile rings i dont find it annoying having to take out my headphone to take the calll. I also dont mind having 2 different devices in my pockets as they are both pretty small, but thats me personally. Also memory (my iPod has 60gb hd of which its 40gb are used), a study somewhere (i'll see if i can find it) also says that the average person has 1000 songs on their portable mp3 players so phone memory would have to go up quite considerably. Also i want to use whatever headphones i chose not the unconfortable/rubbish sound quality headphone you currently get with phones.

Maybe they will be big but imho i dont see i happening (breaking into the mainstream like the iPod has) for a few years to come.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 15:26
@whentheleveebreaks

The networks will probably not sell as much music as itunes I agree with that. But if they sell as much music as people buy ringtones then they will be happy.

The Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) will increase dramatically for the networks if they can convince people that downloading music onto their devices is as easy as downloading ringtones, and cool.

It is a sector of the market that they will be eager to push and a good reason for networks to get the manufacturers to produce more advanced handsets with greater storage and a faster chip to do all the hardwork.

Now, I am not saying they will provide a serious challenge this year or even next, but with HDD slowly making its way onto mobile phones you can sort of see where this may be heading.
m100
T610
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 18:45
You need a credit card for itunes and others,many people,and children don't have credit cards but can pay for tracks with their phone credit.How successful would ringtones and screensavers be if you could only pay by credit card and download on a PC?Record companies are not interested as they make more selling tracks on CD,why would they want to change CDs for something less profitable?Sony spent over ten years with the minidisc and failed but with the new SE mobiles I think will do better.
In western countries it may not be much but in many other countries a computer cost years of wages so thats a non starter.But with a mobile with MP3 they can bypass all that.
You don't even have to have the latest technology,get something like the cheap Nokia 3410 put a memory card slot,headphone socket and software and you got a MP3 player,it would hardly cost that much more.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi