Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Musicphone wars - Sony Ericsson - 1, Motorola - 0. Moto fails to strike a chord at CeBit

Previous  1234  Next
Author Musicphone wars - Sony Ericsson - 1, Motorola - 0. Moto fails to strike a chord at CeBit
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:06
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@bart

Your point is valid, but I think you are failing to take account of two very important points; the Sony factor and the fact that people may prefer to pay less for a single device than pay more for two seperate devices.

Sony are renowned for their quality and people do associate Walkman with Sony. Sony is a very powerful brand and people like to be seen with good brands.

People generally prefer to carry as few gadgets as possible, hence a single gadget that allows them to listen to music and make phone calls/send texts is going to be very popular indeed.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:14
sony isn't SE. people still link SE more to ericsson then to sony.
an ipod mini costs much less and you get 2G.
while the W800 costs more (true you get a phone and cam and much more) but only 512MB (+ internal memory). if you would buy a 2G MSD pro then it would cost 2-3 times as much as an ipod mini.
some people don't want to spend that much money. they would rather have a cheaper phone and an ipod mini.
thats how most people will see.
but most of us see it difirent, i myself am going for the W800 and getting a 2G MSD pro, but then again we are the pioneers of new technolgy right
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:18
@Bart I don't think the smaller musicplayer manufacturers will be able to strike back. How? Will they now incorporate mobile phones into their devices? I think they might have missed the boat on that one. .

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenface on 2005-03-12 15:30 ]
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:22
i think alot will depend on the quality of the mp3 player and the software, if they are both good then i think it will sell to the ipod crowd,
the sony mp3 player (cant remeber the number but the ipod rival one) sounds good on par with the ipod but the software for transfer is very slow and laboured in comparision to itunes.
but if se get the sound and software right then i think it would be popular as scotsboy said its one device rather than 3 (if you inculde the camera)
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:27
Your are missing my point, I am speaking of the average Joe in the street. Most people have fifty or maybe even a hundred pieces of music that they listen to, certainly they have no real need for 2 GB worth of music.

We should perhaps try and be practical about these issues. A 2GB iPod is all very well, but if the average Joe has the chance to have a single device that lets him listen to a few albums; take good quality pictures; surf the web and make and receive callstexts then he is quite likely to go for that.

I very much disagree with you regarding the association of Sony with Sony Ericsson, I believe that customers very much associate the two. Sony is a very powerful brand name and people see that when they see Sony Ericsson, it is there in the title. People then associate that title with the Sony name, which stands for high quality.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2005-03-12 15:28 ]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:49
too much sony influence in the mob fones and now this walkman... well, i am not happy for it...
Aquila non capit muscas - /// 4ever!

/// Ericsson Forum
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 16:53
Quote:

On 2005-03-12 15:27:57, bart wrote:
walkman is know among the people, but its fading into the background with all those MP-3 devices.
and i think that the name nokia has got more value then walkman.
it all depens on who gets out first, who can supply enough, who has the best price/quality and who does the best advertising.

i FULLY agree! [addsig]
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 17:59
@goldenface: manufactures of mp-3 devices ( talking about devices like ipod mini) will strike back. they'll drop the price or give more memory, add color screens so that you can store photo's and even video files (abit like the ipod photo devices). Games will folow, aswill wifi. those mp-3 devices will become media devices.
@scotsboyuk: from what i hear/read the link of SE to ericsson is bigger amoung the average Joe in the street.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 18:14
@bart

I know you are an Ericsson fan and I can respect the idea that Ericsson are a better known brand name in the world of mobile phones than Sony. However, Sony are a much bigger brand than Ericsson and they have a huge deal of influence over what people by by the strength of their brand alone.

If someone is looking to buy a new mobile phone and see that it has a Sony Walkman music player built in they are then less likely to go out and buy an iPod.

Dedicated music players might very well have games added; video capability, etc, but you can already get that with a mobile phone. Unless music player manufacturers want to include mobile phone capabilities int heir products, in which case they stop being music players, the point is moot.

If someone has the option to carry two or three different devices or one that will serve all three purposes perfectly well then he is probably going to choose the latter option.

Convergeance may not be something that is liked by some people, but it is a fact and the sooner we get used to it the sooner we can influence the direction that it takes.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 18:44
Motorola has not gotten that one right.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
clank
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 19:01
I'll have to agree with scotsboyuk here...convergence is the key point in this discussion. I personally am(and i'm sure majority will be too) ready to compromise a bit on the music player and camera aspect if i can get all three devices rolled into one at a fraction of the cost of buying one each for its specific purpose. Infact its not possible to carry all 3 devices until you have really big pockets and nonetheless it'll feel like quite a mass you're dragging with you. Another thing which goes strongly in favour of music phones is the clutter they save you from...imagine listening to music on your ipod and suddenly the phone rings leaving you searching for the headset or frantically trying to tuck away the ipod headphones+the ipod itself so you can now negotiate the phone. Apart from total audiophiles i think everyone will appreciate the music phone solution more.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 19:02
yes i am an ericsson fan. but also an sony fan. all my other hardware is sony. and i've always like the name walkman.
but if a person is looking for a phone and wants it to be able to play music and stuff. then that person wants to spend alot of money and knows enough about phones to realize this. a normal person would get an ipod mini and an cheaper phone, cause the normal person doesn't know how powerfull phones have become.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 19:32
@bart

I disagree with that last comment. I my opinion the ordinary Joe would more likely opt for a device like the W800 than buy an iPod and a mobile phone. The reason is simple, they have one device that does both things and it looks 'cool'.

People like gadgets, people like gadgets that do things they want and people like to be seen to have nice things. I'm not saying that the W800 is going to sweep away iPods and othe rmusic players, but it looks to be a step in that direction in my view.

We are approaching a point where people no longer have to carry two or three different devices around with them and if they can get all those devices in one at a lower cost then they will go for that single option. Would you buy a radio, a tape player and a CD player seperately or would you just buy an all-in-one device? If you had the option would you buy a television with an inbuilt digital receiver or two seperate devices?
jmcomms
Satio Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 21:33
We must also consider the W800 as being the first in a new line of Walkman phones - so with Samsung offering a 3G HDD in a phone, I think we know where Sony Ericsson are going to end up in the future.

At the moment, I carry a phone and iPod Shuffle - but when the weather improves and the winter jacket is consigned to the wardrobe for a few months (hopefully) and it's Jeans/T-Shirt time then I doubt I'll want to carry multiple devices.

Carrying a phone and separate camera is bad enough - so give me a decent camera, music player and phone (with email and so on) and I'll be very happy.

Mind you, I'd probably prefer it to be 3G too as I'm now getting quite used to web browsing/email download at high speed... but that will come too by Christmas!

www.whatmobile.net

[ This Message was edited by: jmcomms on 2005-03-12 20:34 ]
mustafabay
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-03-12 23:15
There's always the possibility that the average Joe will buy an ipod mini them a walkman phone and eventually find out that he doesn't need his ipod.

This message was posted from a T630

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi