Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > V800 losing service when the phone is closed, comes back when open!

12  Next
Author V800 losing service when the phone is closed, comes back when open!
Strider420
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 17:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just recently, I have started to have network issues with my V800. This started soon after I flashed it with R1X011 unbranded firmware but lately it has gotten worse.

As of this weekend, if I shut the clamshell, the bars that show signal strength will drop one by one till I can no longer make/recieve calls. As soon as I open the phone, the bars jump to full signal and I can make and recieve calls just fine. At first I believed this to be a network problem but If i remove my SIM card, the phone shows the same behaviour. I even replaced my Tmobile SIM card with a Cingular card and the problem persists.

I have since reflashed it with R1J EU9 to see if it would correct the problem but to no avail. I have also done a master reset after flashing.

This is extremely irritating as I must have the phone open to be able to recieve calls. I have tried using a headset and the phone will just not find a signal if the clamshell is shut!

Has anyone ever had this happen? Do you guys think this might be a hardware issue? Or could this possibly be due to corrupt firmware/GDFS files?

Any input is appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Strider420 on 2005-02-22 16:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Strider420 on 2005-02-23 04:25 ]
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 19:12
Think it is hardware. Did you drop the phone accidently?
Strider420
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 19:45
No. I have taken great care of the V800 since I bought it.

Edit: Everything else works perfectly. I can even sometimes (very rarely) get signal with the clamshell closed but it loses signal as soon as I open and close again.

[ This Message was edited by: Strider420 on 2005-02-22 18:49 ]
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 19:54
Try giving the phone some taps and knocks. And take it to a SE service centre. Not firmware related.
HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 19:58
This sounds like an internal antenna problem to the phone itself when the phone is closed. I am speculating that theere is a loose connection to the antenna when the phone is closed. This could be due to several reasons but i suspect the conductive tape/ribbon that connects the screen (and antenna) part of the clamshell to the keypad part has a hairline crack in the tracks.
Thus when the phone is closed and the ribbon is stretched, it loses contact.

Have it looked at by taking it back to your supplier of the phone. Firmware flashing will not fix this problem.

Hope this helps!
Sony Ericsson - the marriage of the consumer electronics Beauty to the telecomms Beast

If you have any se-nse, then you will visit http://www.se-nse.com
Strider420
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 20:18
@HyperiaBlue

Thanks for the reply, it sure sounds like my problem is what you describe. Unfortunately, I live in the US and SE service centers do not exist around here . I bought my phone from a person who lives in the UK so there is no chance for me get support from him.

I will try and open the phone and see if I can spot the tear in the ribbon...
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-22 20:21
Hmmm...take care if you're planning to open up the phone. Do it only if you're confident about it!

This message was posted from a T230

HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 20:28
Its not advisable to open the V800 if you are not experienced cos its pretty difficult to locate the problem if you do not have the correct tools. The other thing is there are lots of pieces to the V800 and dismantling it would be a frustrating affair for a first timer and you could end up causing more damamge than repair!

Besides that you may void the warranty.

I suggest you mail and request support, they will try and help a loyal customer out. They will most likely ask you to mail the phone in for repairs here in the UK.

Give a try , u never know!
Sony Ericsson - the marriage of the consumer electronics Beauty to the telecomms Beast

Strider420
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 20:33
I didn't know that SE could service my phone since I live in the States but I will absolutely give them a try before even trying opening my phone. Besides, HyperiaBlue is right and I will probably not even know where to look .
whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-22 20:48
You got any SE centre nearby? I think it would be inconvenient to send phone all the way to the UK for repair. Try knocking the nearest SE centre's door first!

This message was posted from a T230

hadiq
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 21:05
I don't no about the U.S. But here in Canada we have a central s.e product center in Ontario. You sure there isn't one in the u.s? You might wanna call the american branch of s.e.
HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 21:05
Mail and ask for your nearest service centre details...take it in and let them handle it.

But generally email support is good.

Strider420
Z800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 21:10
Well I found their phone number on support site so I will give them a call and see what they have to say.

Thanx all for the info.

Do you think they will notice if my phone has EU9 lang pack?

[ This Message was edited by: Strider420 on 2005-02-22 20:11 ]
hadiq
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 21:35
strider if all else fails you could take it to a reg. cell phone repair shop. Out here I noticed that in chinatown there seems to be lots of help...just a thought
HyperiaBlue
V800
PM
Posted: 2005-02-22 21:40
Well if you don't make a big thing of the firmware then i doubt they will realise it upon first looks. However @ some point the tech guys will realise that it has been flashed.

But since this is a harware related fault u may just be a ble to get away with it.
The other thing is if you say you travel a lot for business and bought the phone in the UK, they may take pity on you even more

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi