Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > do you want a SE phone with Windows Mobile OS in the near future?

Previous  12
Author do you want a SE phone with Windows Mobile OS in the near future?
Rhino8
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 09:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
What about allowing us to choose what we want, symbian/windows.
ARSENAL : Samsung Galaxy SII
http://members.esato.com/rhino8
namal
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 10:01
Its better if palm os or symbian or linux. I dont need bill to dominate over se or any phone. Also, we can change computing platform without worring abt compatibility.

This message was posted from a WAP device

anand.balaji
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 10:01
I would be very happy if SE made a phone with Windows in it - but I doubt that it will ever happen! A decision to use Windows would not go too well with SE's parent (Sony - Japan) for obvious reasons (PlayStation v/s X-Box being one of them!)

Those who don't believe in anything but Symbian should give the Imate-Jam a try. It's darn good!

As a software developer, I can safely say that it's far easier to code for a Windows' mobile phone than it is for a Symbian phone. Porting your existing Windows application and cutting it down in size (and features) is much simpler too! The same is true when it comes to expanding your mobile applications for use on a Windows desktop PC.

I don't intend to start a war of words, I'm just trying to bring out the fact that Windows is now a serious contender for mobile phones and that a large number of companies are going to see the benefits of shifting from Symbian to Windows!

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: anand.balaji on 2005-02-06 09:02 ]
securityguard
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 11:11
@ anand, well i think your absolutely RIGHT.

i work for a television company, and i have noticed alot of people have opt for Pocket PC Phones then ever before, etc contractors, and many taxi drivers too (mini cabs) apparently alot of taxi drivers use them because they recieve call outs on there PPC phones to say where they have to pick up there fairs, i seen it its kinda cool and alot of couriers use them as well, when the courier comes into my work place and they give me a package, i used to sign it on a piece of paper to say i have recieved the package, now they expect me to sign it on there PPC phone, good stuff. and alot of staffs have them too, i guess PPC phones are endless possibilities unlike the symbian which i have used before and kinda limits my work.
tonyitalian
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 11:17
no ... i think sony can pack all the features in a symbian phone!
but who knows it might be worth it.....
its just a different thing to have something non-windows for a change!
SE Rulez!
waja800
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 11:47
I still prefer symbian on a se phone.

DSF
R520
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-06 14:06
I would like if SE make non-pda smartphones and pda-phones with windows mobile. Windows mobile it's more powerfull than symbian in many points of wiev IMO. It will be great to see a windows smartphone with SE (construction) qualitx. But i dont think we will se one, they will use their own OS and symbian.. the windows licence is not that ceap..

This message was posted from a Nokia 7650

Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-06 17:22
I prefer the Symbian OS. Highly customizable and fun. With the WM OS I just have the feeling I am working another PC, which I don't want on a mobile phone.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 17:29
A big NO from me too. Absolutely no way I would buy any mobile phone with any variant of Windows on it...

Now, if Apple did a "Mac OS X Mobile", I would be interested!!
anand.balaji
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 17:32
As I have mentioned previously, Sony will in all probability stick to Symbian. Lover's of Symbian need not fear! Even in the worst case, Sony has the finance and knowledge to develop and push their own operating system. Microsoft will never find it's way to any Sony phone!

K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 17:49
talking about this juz pop up a name for such SE phone.. i wud call it.. SE VAIO.. it shud be a flip phone.. juz like the laptop..
Never Give Up!
IT2005
T650 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-02-06 19:04
Well...I agree with masseur.
But..sooner or later...who knows.
I read an article, probably 1 or 2 year ago,saying that Microsoft had approached Nokia. Asking Nokia to use Microsoft software which was rejected.Even Nokia management admitted that Microsoft's intention of dominating the handphone software market has made them "can't sleep". The management worry if Microsoft win, Nokia (which is the largest handphone manufacturer)will become just like another hardware manufacturers such as dell or hp.The management become so worry until they set up a meeting with other hp manufacturer such as SonyEricsson to form an alliance, to share a platform.It seems that they chose Symbian.
But who knows...as far as I know Microsoft has not even make money on the pocket pc software, it is sort of being subsidies at the moment.

[ This Message was edited by: IT2005 on 2005-02-06 18:10 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi