Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Orange K700i

Author Orange K700i
Kay83
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 13:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I just got a K700i on Orange Pay As You Go, as it was pretty cheap, and the phone itself seems great. I use T-Mobile, however, and was wondering if unlocking the phone will remove all the branding and features that Orange have put on the phone, or if I have to update the firmware (something which I have no idea how to do). Also, there are a number of things that I don't understand with the phone, and I don't know whether it is to do with the actual phone itself or if it is because of Orange. For some reason, the right softkey takes you to the camera, rather than the 'more' menu that was available in previous SE phones. In fact, the 'more' menu seems to have been removed altogether (I can't seem to find it), which is a bit stupid. Why have a camera shortcut when there is already a dedicated camera button? To add to the misery, there is no option to assign shortcuts to the directional joystick buttons.

Also, a small camera problem, which I noticed in the F500i as well. When you take a photo, after saving the picture looks quite pixellated, with lots of white dots around. This doesn't happen with all the picture sizes, though, and I've only tried it in a room with a lightbulb, so I don't know if the problem is due to the lack of natural light. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks for your help.

MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 14:34
Welcome to Esato

Unlocking is not the same as debranding. To debrand u will need to get it flashed with SE f/w (please search for further info)

The removal of the 'More' softkey & the ability to assign shortcuts are thanks to Orange! Don't u just love 'em!
Unbranded f/w will solve these.

The camera suffers from 'noise' in low light. Using smaller pic size reduces the effect

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
Kay83
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 14:58
Thanks.

To get it debranded, I'll have to go to a SE service centre. However, will they debrand it completely (ie the phone is exactly like the way SE made it, without any Orange whatsoever), and appoximately how much will it cost?

[ This Message was edited by: Kay83 on 2005-01-27 13:58 ]
tidytrev
W580 Grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 14:59
is there anyone here from derby in england that knows where i can get my phone debranded and firmwared? iv got an orange branded k700 with old firmware
ba da ba ba baaa i'm lovin it!
AlfBaxter
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 15:10
I don't think any official outlets are allowed by Orange to debrand your phone. You will most likely have to do it yourself through Davinciteam or Totalmultiserver. Search the forum or go here:

http://www.davinciteam.com/

MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-27 15:15
Yes that is correct SE Service Centres will only be allowed to flash it with Orange branded f/w so u gain nothing.
The info on how to achieve unbranding has been posted here several times so u should be able to find it

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
Kay83
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-28 15:10
Thanks.

If I was to simply unlock my phone (and keep the Orange firmware), will I be able to use all the features of the network SIM that is in the phone? For example, the text messaging settings, email, wap etc. - would they still be linked to Orange, or can I use new settings for T-Mobile/O2? Plus the Orange WAP links on the main menu, will I be able to change them so they take me to a different website?
Also, on the Orange phone, the 'Write New' feature takes you straight to MMS, not SMS. I've heard this being mentioned a few times before, but I've found no solution. To be honest, I don't want to bother with rebranding the phone, as I don't have any data cables (unless I can go to a shop and get it done there). I'm don't mind the icons, it's just the aforementioned things that I want to be sure about, otherwise I may just return the phone and buy a SIM-free model instead.

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi