Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > I just got a nokia 7650! Heres what I think(review for us SE users) and some pics of the package :-)

1234  Next
Author I just got a nokia 7650! Heres what I think(review for us SE users) and some pics of the package :-)
ewap8
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 02:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just got my hands on the Nokia 7650. The package looks good from outside, but unfortunately, thats the only good thing about it.

When switched on, the screen suddenly felt much smaller than what I had expected. Using it was far too uncomfortable to describe. As I am used to the T68 joystick, which is positioned at the centre of the phone, I found the 7650's joystick very improperly placed. Using the joystick with my thumb at the bottom on the front plate of the phone and the rest of the fingers wrapped around the phone was a bit difficult and probably hurt my thumb after using for a short while.

Another issue with the joystick is that it isn't like the T68's plastic joystick. Remember that T68 has a plastic button on the joystick? Well, here, the joystick is made completely of rubber, and after a few moves, it worries you that it may come out by a little harder push.

The OS is good. But the phone is a bit too big to be carried around in the trouser pocket. It looks like a giant matchbox!!

The camera is impressive. The viewfinder moves swiftly along with the movement of the phone. Unlike the MCA-20 communicam, it has a better frames per second rate(FPS rate) -{FPS is picked from my gaming experience!!}. Another good thing about the camera in the 7650 is that when the back part is slid up, the camera is covered and protected. So it is safe after use.

Overall, it is a bulky phone which is not really worth the money you pay for it. A camera along with the phone is a good package than the T68i+communicam, especially if you are very interested in mobile photography. But its bulkiness and ugliness and other similar disadvantages overweigh its advantages.

Here are some of the images that I clicked of my 7650's package:

So, what do u think about it? Post your feedback on this page.

Cheers!
I'm member #100 on this website. I think!
MarkOng
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-11 02:52
I've seen a few people use the 7650 in singapore. In my opinion, I think its really big and bulky. Like a flat brick. I wouldbn't mind if the phone was long but the width is far too broad for my liking. I do admire the features though but I think the p800 is still a better investment judjing by its design and it has tons more features and better connectivity than the 7650. Hope you're happy with your purchase though.

BTW, how are the pics taken with your camera? They look real grainy and blurred (slightly. prob contrast problem), the colour is quite dull on my computer. But then again, maybe its just my lousy old monitor.

Enjoy your new phone though!
ewap8
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 03:00
First things first, Its not actually my purchase. I purchased it for my cousin and he picked it up from me. I was just evaluating the phone and posted my opinions here. So I have no loss. I personally dont like it. I will go for the P800 instead.
ewap8
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 03:02
The pics are taken from my Creative Go WebCam and not from the 7650. The picture quality is bad coz the pics are big. If I choose a smaller size, the quality improves drastically!! So, that sums up ur monitors performance. All in all, ur monitor is better than 7650's screen

cheers!
MarkOng
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-11 03:05
Haha... What a relief! Anyway, i'll still be a diehard fan. Never been so obssesed about a phone my whole life but t68 is it! Maybe p800 in future
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 03:09
is the p800 avail already? dubai seems to have all the latest products first, then the rest of the world.
ewap8
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 03:13
@619:

Dubai is the hub in the middle east for all gadgets and all commerce. What a combination!
P800 available here in about 3-4 weeks.

cheers!
jr_rca
T600
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 03:57
man thats really a brick....if you gather thousands you can build a wall.
i rather purchase sendo Z100.
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 09:02
Sendo Z100 has been delayed yet another time You're gonna have to wait a looooooooooooong time before you can even put your hands on it. At least not before Q4 this year... optimistically.
jr_rca
T600
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 09:06
id rather wait man. and im not gonna spend a dime with a nokia.
tegicT9
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 10:45
Yes, I agree with all the above comments.
I've been using one for the past 3 weeks now and guess what? I'd rather use my T68i instead! The built in camera is a nice touch but believe me, you wouldn't want to carry the 7650 around simply because it's too bulky and in my opinion, ugly. Not only is the design boring, the colour combination is bad too.
The only thing that really impressed me is that I could actually read all my emails and attachments too! Provided jpg files are not too large of course. The WAP browser is very nice too simply because it has good resolution and you could visit all the T68m/T68i websites. Except xhtml sites which requires WAP 2.0 Browsers. Screensavers, backgrounds etc can be downloaded and viewed in very good resolution. I can subsequently send them to my T68i via Bluetooth or Infrared. That's about all I like about the phone.
The quality of the images captured by the phone is fairly good provided you have adequate lighting. Indoor shots appear a little "grainy" even though this term is used more for conventional film quality. The night mode in my opinion is quite useless because it requires a very steady hand! There is slight abberation seen at the corners of images captured if you scrutinise them thoroughly but what do you expect from such a tiny camera. I don't mind commenting on this phone because it's actually not mine! Got it on trial basis and will be returning it on 22 Jul 02, for sure! [addsig]
Wings_Talons
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 11:34
Sheez, thats a big phone. I wouldn't call it ugly.. but its big alrite. How do they expect us to carry that monmoth in our pockets? They should give us a free portable hydraulic crane along with every phone
cadcad
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 11:59
Does that mean that the p800 will be big and heavy?! I don't even want to think of it!!

This post was posted from a T68i

Bajie
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 12:08
How can you complain about the phone being big and bulky when it clearly shows in the first picture you can use it when weight training.
I for one won't try doing press-ups on a P800
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 12:59
I agree that the design of 7650 is not that nice. looks a bit old. A fresher design would have made it look better. E.g. a silver color mixed with some dark grey, with some sharp lines cutting curves would have been nice. Though, it has nothing repulsive, and i like it.

Now, the size is a bit big, but still it fits in one's pocket. But we are all used to small phones nowadays, so going to something bigger is not easy. P800 has the same problem (it's even slightly bigger than the 7650) but that's what happens when going towards PDA like phones.

Nonetheless, it's the first imaging phone on the market, and this kind of phones will only get better and better with time
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi