Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > GPRS, WAP, MMS and Email setup > Email client set-up for dummies

12  Next
Author Email client set-up for dummies
martijn
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-10 15:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hello everyone,
After reading all your topic and reactions I know for sure that there're very much T68/T68i users with a problem of the email set-up.
My problem is that teh message "cannot find server" I've tried really everything: Hotpop,Yahoo,Hotmail,Zonnet. I live in the Netherlands and Vodafone is my provider.
I also treid the SE emailconfigurator but I don't have World online or AT&T as ISP. What I need is someone to explain in details what I should do. I know that a lot of other users are waiting for the same information.
All help is welcome!!!!!

Martijn
T68i
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-10 16:28
Check the following:

1. You need to specify a DNS address (provided by your operator) in your data account used for email
2. You need to make sure (by asking your operator) that the data account is not limited and can access external sites (because operators have the option to block)
3. Some operators have two data accounts, one for WAP only and one for Internet. Use the one for internet as your email data account.
whtdlite702
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-10 17:00
I need help wid da email! Ahhhhh........ :/
SonyEricsson T68i - Cingular Wireless
martijn
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-10 17:26
Ok thanks for your reply! I will try your instructions. Who do you mean with the operator? The networkprovider of the phone or the Yahoo's and the Hotpops?
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-07-10 17:27
i've helped a few people figure it out, one common issue is people connecting via GPRS...i dont myself but i've heard if you use GPRS, in order to do E-mail you need to set up a dial-up data connection to your ISP.
you can not do the T68 E-mail function over GPRS. You need a circuit switched (CSD) connection....so i've been told.
i've setup a dummy Yahoo account for anyone with problems to test as it's fully functioning with email send & receive....it works!

Part 1 - do this once you've created a Yahoo email account, it describes how to enable it for use in your phone - or skip to Part 2 to test)
WEB:
login to your Yahoo account, click 'Options' on the left under Search.
you should see a page with 3 headings, Personalisation, Mail Management & delivery Services.

under Mail Management at the bottom click 'POP Access & Forwarding'

if you have 'Yahoo!Delivers' activated then goto Step 1 - if not then activate it & choose to receive emails in text format then come back to this page and continue...

Step 1 - Choose:
Web and POP Access

Step 2 - Choose:
Text messages only

click 'Submit' and your done here....then follow the following instructions to setup your T68.

Part 2 - try this part on its own to test your phone - works & already tried and tested by others.
Phone:
in your T68, goto Messages, 4.Email, 7.Options, edit account or create if Yahoo is not there already then fill in the details as below - all fields in (brackets) are for your details which i dont know.

1.Connect using:
(this will be your isp - for me it says Genie, i use them to connect)

2.Protocol:
POP3

3.Inc.server

4.Incoming port

5.Mailbox
esatotest (your Yahoo username without the @yahoo.co.uk)

6.Password
for the password mail me or guess, it's the main esato admin's username, dont change it

7.Outgoing server

8.Outgoing port

9.E-mail address:
esatotest@yahoo.co.uk

10.Download
Headers+text

From name
(your name goes here)

Signature
No signature

Copy outgoing
Off

Check interval
Off

any problems, let me know.
BBBold on T-Mobile UK
arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-10 17:44
I mean your network operator.
Quote:

On 2002-07-10 17:26, martijn wrote:
Ok thanks for your reply! I will try your instructions. Who do you mean with the operator? The networkprovider of the phone or the Yahoo's and the Hotpops?

arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-10 17:51
i beg to disagree with whomever told you. i have been using GPRS to access email using the T68's email client. please understand that this is network dependent, and based on what you posted, you are one of those who can't access external sites via your GPRS data account because they were blocked by your operator. all of us in the philippines can use the T68 email client via GPRS, fyi.
Quote:

On 2002-07-10 17:27, decoy7 wrote:
you can not do the T68 E-mail function over GPRS. You need a circuit switched (CSD) connection....so i've been told.

Eva-m00
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2002-07-10 18:00
I've been using the email client over GPRS ages. I'm on T-Mobile and i use HotPOP to send my MCA-20 pix to friends on email :-).. Is slow and can be unreliable though... Anyone know of a more reliable provider? Does it make a difference if you pay a subscription? -Eva

This post was posted from a T68i

martijn
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-11 11:11
I can't believe it! I made a Genie (O2) account for the connection. And when I test ewith the esatotest Yahoo accoent everything seems like to go ok. But suddenly the error appears 'cannot find server' I cnnot believ the phone is defect. Does anyone have the same problem?
decoy7, thanks again for your great manual I know I will manage it someday!!!!

Martijn
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-11 14:47
the first thing you gotta do is ask for info from your mobile service provider. if you're lucky enough, that's all you're going to need. what you need to know from them: • do you have email services i can use from my phone? if so, how do i use it? what are the names of the servers? • if they dont offer it or dont want to use theirs, ask if you can access 3rd party mail servers? and if you need specifically configurged data accounts to use them, what should it be? • SEARCH esato AND the web

This post was posted from a WAP device

ppcrockar
P990
PM
Posted: 2002-07-12 15:33
For incoming/outgoing servers never use the name. Use the IP-address instead. If you don't know the IP-address just type:

ping mailserver

in a command prompt and the IP-address will be shown.

And if you have an IP-address which doesn't have 3 digits after each dot then insert zeros. For example if you have the IP-address:

finsert zeros like this:

This usually solves most problems with email in the Ericsson phones
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-13 03:45
i dont use IP addresses at all.

and the only problem i had with the built-in email client was placing the wrong SMTP server name, so it was entirely my fault.

in any case, if ppcrockar's solution works for you, well and great!
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-13 06:42
Hej,i'm from Sweden.I have the same problem with setting E-mail account.Can i use the same information wich you gave us on my T65 even if i'm in Sweden?HELP PLEASE!!!:-(

This post was posted from a T65

GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-13 07:45
Please make inquiries from your SP first. It may be a bit of a hassle but so is trying untried settings that may not work

This post was posted from a T39

winner
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-07-14 10:36
to GOwin and Arnoldc,
please help me configure my fone's email. i'm a globe post-paid subscriber.
thanks.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi