Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How to handle Contact Categories

Author How to handle Contact Categories
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 04:51
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Why oh why oh why doesn't Outlook and my P900 share categories. I need to use about 15 different categories for my contacts (I have hundreds to organise) so if I add a new contact in Outlook and then sync to the phone, why does my phone list it as "unfiled" ?

The palm Desktop is able to synch categories with Palm PDAs so why not the P900 & Outlook.

Can someone suggest a sensible, non-frustrating way to deal with contact synching?

Thanks
MArk
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:05
the categories thing is a constant problem, especially with the calendar program. I don't have a fix for it yet eventhough I have looked.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:09
Could it be the categories issue that is causing me to get lots of duplicate contacts, tasks, jotters etc etc. ?

Perhaps if I don't give anything a category it will stop duplicating??

Seriously, if Palm brought out a decent phone I'd sell up straight away. I remember being so happy with my PDA synching but this is a big frustration.

I hope palm bring a good smart-phone out soon. What is their best currently?

thanks for the info, I appreciate your response
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:17
it may be a category problem that causes duplicates. Lots of people report duplicate contacts or other items when syncing. I gave up putting categories on things in Outlook and just add them a moment later on the phone.

the best currently from PalmOne is the the Treo 650. It has bluetooth finally and an SD card slot. Its a nice phone, but has a small screen and I couldn't figure out how to have handwriting recognition on it.

I like my P910 much better, eventhough there are many small issues left to resolve.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:21
Trouble is that I MAINLY want to have my contacts organised on my PC not on my phone. They are just on my phone in case I need them when I am out on the road and also so I can see who is phoning me when it rings.

So maybe I could get away with using no contact categories for the phone and just use them in outlook and maybe that could help.

That still sucks though because it will take me ages to find a phone contact then. Grrr.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:27
I've found a TREO 650 on kelkoo for £136.
Here's the link:
http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/sites[....]As+New+-+UK%29%0A%09%09%09&orw

What do you think of that?
I'm seriously tempted. I'm just longing to get back on the Palm OS really. I can't cope with this random contact behaviour at all.

What about the p900 is better than the treo 650?
I'm digging the info you're giving me here, thanks a lot.

Does that price look too good to be true. Looks like they are possibly used

thanks
mark
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:28
I think its more of an outlook problem, because when I make a calendar event with a category on my phone, then sync it to the computer, the category info is lost.

However if I take that identical item, add a category to it in Outlook and send it back to the phone, it will create a new item in the phone with an "Unfiled" category.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:31
yeah that sucks man. A never ending viscious cycle. What do you make of that treo 650 link I just posted?
I'm tempted to jump ship

EDIT:
Ah, that link is not a 650

[ This Message was edited by: yonnermark on 2005-01-20 04:33 ]
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:46
I don't know what is a good price for that phone personally. (Especially because I don't know the UK market, since I am fromt he US) I also have never connected it to a computer, so I don't know how the sync software works, but if it uses Palm Desktop like the Palm PDAs I would assume the sync functions are excellent.

I have used the phone though, and the interface is attractive and familiar to any Palm user. The screen is nice, the camera is decent and bluetooth works decently well. It is slightly larger than my P910, with a much smaller screen, but the keyboard is a little nicer. Also I think you would be able to add WiFi because the phone accepts SDIO cards and I know that there are SDIO WiFi cards compatible with PalmOS.

It is the only device I would consider jumping ship for. I still like the P910 though.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:52
cool. thanks man
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 05:56
about the WiFi, just checked, it is conceivable, but currently there are no official or stable drivers to do it.

You should do some research into the sync abilities of the Treo, also you shoul email support and complain about the sync. There may be a possibility that they change it in the next firmware release or the next Sync software update.

The main problem I see is that you are syncing an product with a non-:se: product that does not run on industry standards.

I can't wait for a newer version of Mozilla Thunderbird and Sunbird that are capable of syncing with Smartphones.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 11:59
Quote:
I can't wait for a newer version of Mozilla Thunderbird and Sunbird that are capable of syncing with Smartphones

You mean they're planned?
knight4led
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 17:59
I know at least a new version of sunbird is planned, and there was talk a while back of making thunderbird capable of syncing with smartphones.
yonnermark
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 18:01
that would be very cool
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi