Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > K700i. firmware, flashing and DaVinci. please?

12  Next
Author K700i. firmware, flashing and DaVinci. please?
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 14:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sorry to sound like a total dork, (which, actually, I am), and sorry if this post covers very old ground, but could someone (preferably someone in the KNOW, i.e. Vee) just give me a heads up on the following please?

1. My fiancee and I both have K700i phones... aren't they great? Hers is Orange branded, mine is unbranded. In the past, I've updated the firmware on both handsets using SEUS without problems (we are on R2L currently). Hers is still branded to Orange.

2. I am wanting to un-brand her phone so it is essentially the same as mine... the Orange firmware is just disgusting by comparison.

3. I then wish to flash the latest firmware to both hers and mine.

4. I am going to use DaVinci for it, using the DSS25 cradle which came with my P900.

QUESTIONS:

How many credits will I need, how much are they, and where does one obtain them from?

I have had a pretty good look at the DaVinci site, and I am afraid that I am left a little confused. Someone who has actually done similar to what I am suggesting would be very kind in giving me insight!

Thanks in advance,
Chris
gbrooks3
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 14:50
well, i'm not vee. but i think we would both give you the same advice. Use Setool not davinci. You can get a T28 for a cheap price now.

PM me for ALL your sonyericsson firmware upgrades and unlocking needs.

[ This Message was edited by: gbrooks3 on 2005-01-13 13:51 ]
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 14:53
Wow, rapid response.

Thanks.

So, that service won't work with the DSS25... hmmmm... blast!
gbrooks3
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 14:55
no, setool does not currently support the DSS-2x syncstation. I am not saying davinci is bad, and as you have a syncstation you may aswell use that. But setool is the best server. So now you know for future reference.

Because the platform sends bogus messages while charging, that is why!!!..But why this change of heart?..We sense a charger connected, oops, we will not shut down after all!!!..*********************** UI BASIC, HOLD YOUR HORSES
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 14:57
Hey, thanks for that... just reading the SEtools garb now!
gbrooks3
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 14:57
This is a fairly comprehensive thread about your original question.

Because the platform sends bogus messages while charging, that is why!!!..But why this change of heart?..We sense a charger connected, oops, we will not shut down after all!!!..*********************** UI BASIC, HOLD YOUR HORSES
vee
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 15:04
hehehe,

look if you want to upgrade your firmware (now and really) and have only DSS go for davinci... still suggest if you have chance and warranty to go to nearest service centre.

for each phone you need 1 credit to flash and 1 credit to unlock. as you want to only flash to latest version (debranding included in flashing to latest firmware) and 2 phones, you will need 2 credits... setool offers free upgrade (without language change/debranding), but you still need to buy 1 credit to access support area to be able to download files for upgrade...

there are few threads here about flashing, using DSS etc. so please browse through them or ask here or PM for more info.

[ This Message was edited by: vee on 2005-01-13 14:06 ]
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 15:12
Thanks both for the info...

I *have* browsed the forum posts, and to be honest, there are so many posts on the subject it all becomes a bit 'push-pull' on the old grey matter to get a simple answer.
(I may be speaking out of turn, but a suggestion may be to prune out some of the more misleading posts).

I've weighed up the pros and cons, and it would seem by far the SIMPLEST route is SEtools. However, since I already have a DSS hooked up and working well, I may just go for DaVinci—considering the complications I had getting the DSS working anyway!

At least you've cleared up the most ambiguous issue I've found, which is the unbranding issue... I was unsure whether simply flashing the phone alone would remove all the Orange mess. So, to clarify (sorry, another question ):

1. To unlock/unbrand the Orange phone, and flash the latest firmare = 2 DaVinci credits
2. To flash the latest firmware to my already unlocked/unbranded phone = 1 DaVinci credit

Once again, thanks for your generous sharing of knowledge, and taking the time to reply.
vee
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 15:19
No!

To unlock - 1 credit!
To debrand/flash to latest firmware - 1 credit!
To flash to latest firmware - 1 credit (for now)!
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 15:22
lol, that's what I meant...

1. The WHOLE exercise of Unlock (1 credit) then debrand/flash (1 credit) = 2 credits
2. To just flash = 1 credit

Cool... now I just gotta wrangle some credits from DaVinci... Ooooh, tonight may be more exciting than I thought...
mwarner
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 15:54
I've only used DaVinci once, but this is what I did:

1. Filled in the form on the DaVinci site asking for 1 davinci credit. They emailed me back an email address, to use via PayPal, and cost for a credit. It is worth noting that you may be able to get cheaper credits from ESATO members.

2. I sent the required amount to the email address via PayPal and received a username and password to log in.

3. Downloaded and installed the latest DSS-20/25 drivers drivers from SE.

4. Downloaded and 'installed' the latest client (currently 12.2).

5. Ran up Davinci client and used the screenshot manual on the DaVinci site to assist.

6. In addition to the information supplied here, you need to check the DSS-25 checkbox next to the COM port. I also connected at the maximum available speed (921600). The reliability of the firmware flash didn't seem to change if I used a slower speed (but took far longer!). Also, I downloaded the firmware from EMMA1 - the firmware download section no longer tells you what languages each server supports, but this can be gleaned from the screenshot manual.

7. Before flashing you need to turn your phone off and then connect it to the DSS-20/25 (NOT the other way around! This is important!).

8. The firmware update failed a number of times before finally succeeding. I am not sure if this is normal, but that is what happened to me!
When the flash fails, you are left with an unworkable phone, but this is easily solved. To recover the situation:
a) Take the phone off the DSS and remove the battery.
b) Put the battery back in and put the phone back on the DSS (leave it off!)
c) Perform another flash. This will restore the phone.
d) Go through from a) again. This second pass will perform a full firmware update.

I don't think it matters, but I would remove the SIM from the phone prior to flashing (that's what they do in a SE Service Centre anyway!)

Hopefully after a few tries it will all work! Note that you will lose all your data, so I would highly recommend backing up the contents of your phone first (e.g. through Bluetooth / FMA).

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: mwarner on 2005-01-13 15:00 ]
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 16:17
Wow...

My cup runneth over!

Thanks so much for clearing all that up. I am grateful for all the advice, and now I feel confident enough to make the move of sorting out my phones without worrying about frying them.

I also hope perhaps this topic has proved useful to other readers with similar concerns...

In honesty, ever since my P800 about 2 years ago, I'd have been lost without Esato.

Now, let's see if anyone knows how I can upgrade the atrocious firmware on this Motorola (spit) A1000.... lolol
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2005-01-15 06:10
hi,

got some davinciteam credits to dispose... at cheap price... pm

thanks [addsig]
seige
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-17 16:35
*****UPDATE*****

Can I just say, that with the help of Vee, the whole "DaVinci/DSS25/Update" process was very easy indeed.

Despite some initial problems, mainly involving my 'tired' install of XP (I had so much anti-virus stuff/firewalls running that I couldn't get the DaVinci client to work), it all worked as-advertised for me.

There is a bit of jargon on the client, most of which could possibly be made a little less techy, but all in all, it was a pretty smooth process.

Many thanks to all those who gave me a heads-up, especially Vee... for being there in my times of need—even with his raging poorlyness

Thanks all!
snkhan
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-05 22:04
Hi, for those still getting errors, please check out

Debranding your k700

available on my website.
http://www.thekhans.me.uk/
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi