Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How To Sync P910i With iSync (Solution) (Updated for 10.3.8)

Author How To Sync P910i With iSync (Solution) (Updated for 10.3.8)
charlienotsync
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-21 11:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all,

funny I tried following Lozs instructions the first time and the syncing worked a dream...only my phone crashed and i had to reset it, (which is a problem I had had anyway when trying to sync) so bjornv worked out that this was due to ical entries having 'all day enteries'.... after deleting my 'all day entries' I tried Lozs instructions again but now they are not working for me....ive tried it several times following Lozs instructions carefully.....when i open isync afterwards there is no P910i added as a device...??? Loz did you change your script at all, in the last few weeks?

from Charlie
charlienotsync
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-21 11:29
hi,
another question!

about the latest firmware...when I check updates on my phone, it says everything upto date, but i wasnt convinced so I followed the instructions on sony website to find which firmware version your phone is...going to system information...and then checking the CDA number, but then when i entered the number to check its uptodateness there was some error....anybody got any ideas how to check the firmware version and update it?
also, whats the difference between P901i and P901a , is P910a a more recent model?

thanks

charlie

[ This Message was edited by: charlienotsync on 2005-03-21 10:31 ]
Atta
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-22 18:27
Another grateful reader registering to thank lozishere for figuring this problem out and posting the solution here in such a way as that even a newbie Mac owner could follow it successfully.

Everything works great with my 10.3.8 version of OS X. The only minor problem is that II don't have an icon for the P910 and I can't use the instructions for setting one as there appears to be no P900.tiff icon on this system. In fact, the whole symbianconduit.bundle file doesn't exist on this machine.

However this is a minor inconvenience and the main syncing function works fine.
ejp
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-24 17:00
Hi
I am always getting relatively reliable syncs as long as I leave about half an hour between each try, otherwise the bluetooth "connected" symbol on the P910i comes on briefly, then goes off again and syncing fails. I do hope all of this gets resolved in 10.4 or maybe it's a firmware update needed?
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-24 20:08
Hi there,
symbianconduit.bundle does exist on every mac, just some people have their finder set to hide hidden files. If you try xupport, which by the way is great shareware, and works 100% without registering, you can change this.
digichick
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-25 11:29
Many thanks to Loz and Eastwindfl. A combination of their info has sorted my new P910i and G4 Mac. With regard to info entered on P910i and not being transfered to G4; I've selected "put events created on phone" into Work. this seems to have solved that problem for me. Now I just need to get to grips with iCal having spent three years on Entourage.

~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-25 11:36
There's some applescripts that'll sync entourage and ical about. There might even be a entourage sync conduit somewhere. Chances are that there isn't, so I might have a go at writing one. What would happen is that Entourage would appear in iSync as something that can be synced to, similar to the way .Mac accounts appear at the moment.
Is anyone interested in such functionality? Just don't want to write it if there's no-one wanting it!
evidal
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-26 16:12
Can somebody please send me his file SymbianConduitDefaults.plist @ emmanuelvidal@yahoo.com ?

Thx in advance

Emmanuel
rocketlobster
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-29 08:24
Aaaargh. I have carefully followed the famous Loz instructions to the letter but absolutely no joy. When I get to the end of the instructions Loz says just click iSync and enjoy, however when I open iSync there is no device showing so I have to browse for it and add it. Once I add the device the SybianConduits pList gets written over again with the defaults and no syncing (I always get a Blocked by Personal Firewall 3004 message, even though it's open). I have tried replacing P910-1 with 2 and that still does not help. Could it be that I bought the phone in the Middle East and therefore there is a different regional identifier? Help! Loz you out there...
Alcuin
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-29 16:00
Oh man.

I must be stupid. Because nobody asked this yet. But I'm having a major problem with the original tip.

every .plist file on the Mac is an XML file. And when you open the mentioned .plist file in the text editor you can obviously see this.
But the tip says to replace this with plain text.

So, VERY OBVIOUSLY the final .plist file (which isn't an XML file anymore now) couldn't be read by iSync.
Therefore, after applying the tip, iSync came up with a totally clean window that contained nothing but the default .mac and the default "Sync starten" (I'm German) icons.

So, what am I doing wrong here?

Shouldn't I use the plist-editor instead of the text editor and edit the properties one after the other?

How did you all do it???

I'm stunned. Puzzling ...

Also, I don't have a /system folder. I do have a /System folder (and Unix is case sensitive) but I don't have a "/System/Library/Application Support" on my 10.3.8 system.
I *do* have a "/Library/Application Support/SyncService/501" folder and tried the tip there.

clueless,
Stefan.

[ This Message was edited by: Alcuin on 2005-03-29 15:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Alcuin on 2005-03-29 15:07 ]
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-29 19:59
Hmm... After 10.3.8 upgrade, I can't add my P910i or synch it anymore... Will have a little look at the XML and make an updated, working version for you all
gepi
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-03-30 13:07
@~lozishere~

The iCal/ Entourage syncing app can be found here:

http://www.e2sync.com/index.html
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-31 04:01
Ok, so here's the promised update:

Before, iSync f**ked up somehow. I blame Apple in one of their Software updates. No matter.

Go into /system/library/application support/syncservice/(user number -- usually 501 on a single-user machine. may be different. launch netinfo application in /applications/utilities/ to determine this.)/

In this folder there is a file called SymbianConduitDefaults.plist

This file may be empty or may have some random sh** in it. Change whatever's in it to the following. Use text edit if you like, or any other text editor for that matter. Text edit's probably easiest.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
<dict>
<key>kBTEmptyFolderIsOkayReally</key>
<false/>
<key>kBTFilteringDestinationFolderName</key>
<string>Unfiled</string>
<key>kNSSyncConduitFilteringContactGroupMap</key>
<dict/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceID</key>
<string>00-0f-de-87-3d-56</string>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceName</key>
<string>P910i</string>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceShouldSlowSyncCalendars</key>
<false/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceShouldSlowSyncContacts</key>
<false/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceUseCalendars</key>
<true/>
<key>kNSSyncDeviceUseContacts</key>
<true/>
<key>kSymbianConduitModelKey</key>
<string>P900</string>
<key>kSymbianHasDeviceSynced</key>
<true/>
</dict>
</array>
</plist>

The only bit to change is the following:

<key>kNSSyncDeviceID</key>
<string>00-0f-de-87-3d-56</string>

This must be changed to the MAC hardware address in system preferences -> bluetooth -> devices -> your P910i (whatever it's called).

Then open up iSync and you will see an entry already added called P910i. Click sync and enjoy!! Please note, if it doesn't work first time, restart the P910i and try again, as this is what I had to do the first time. These settings result in 90-second syncs for me, so it's an improvement on the first version.

For those that want to customize what's displayed in iSync as the device name, the following section should be personalised:

<key>kNSSyncDeviceName</key>
<string>P910i</string>

Please note though, this last step's NOT neccesary!!

These instructions will work regardless of P910 version (a, i, c), and so the installation is much easier!! Will try and build an installer, it's just tricky making one which includes a script to fill in the MAC address. This version will also mean that a picture (albit of a P900, sorry), will be displayed in iSync instead of just the name of the device.

Thanks for finding the e2sync application!

Oh, and tell me if you encounter any problems!!

Oh, and response to what alcuin said earlier:
Quote:

every .plist file on the Mac is an XML file. And when you open the mentioned .plist file in the text editor you can obviously see this.
But the tip says to replace this with plain text.

Yeees, you're right up to a point. Except that text edit saves in original format... meaning that the output is in actual fact XML. Trust me on that one, I'm not stupid

[ This Message was edited by: ~lozishere~ on 2005-03-31 03:17 ]
kv
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-04-04 01:50
I did use your hack. In the beginning syncing worked fine. But then the bluetooth connection got instable (I don´t know why). And eventually syncing was not anymore possible (although the bluetooth was again stable). The P910 is not anymore seen by isync and I alway get the message from isync:

Fehler |P910i| Die Verbindung zu P910i konnte nicht hergestellt werden. Bitte überprüfen Sie die Verbindung mit diesem Computer.
Achtung Kontakte können nicht mit P910i synchronisiert werden: Das Gerät ist nicht verfügbar

Which basically says it was not possible to establish a connection with the p910. Do you have any suggestions?

Karl

berrybianka
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-04-07 12:22
@LoZ - I followed your instructions but I got this when I tried to Sync. Is there any step that I missed? Bluetooth is on, in range, and connected. Thanks!

Thursday, April 7, 2005 6:21 PM
|P910i| iSync can't connect to P910i. Make sure the phone is in range and turned on and that Bluetooth is turned on.
Can't synchronize contacts to P910i: device is not available
Can't synchronize calendars and To Do items to P910i: device is not available
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi