Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > How To Sync P910i With iSync (Solution) (Updated for 10.3.8)

Author How To Sync P910i With iSync (Solution) (Updated for 10.3.8)
bjornv
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-11 01:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi Charlie,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Upgraded to Orange P910i last week, initial problems with iSync solved by Loz's excellent solution. Like you syncing contacts with Address Book causes no problem, but syncing with iCal causes the phone to slow to a standstill and constantly crash, hang, lots of:

"Program Closed
Program xxxxxxx
Reason code View Srv
reason number 11" messages.

Is your phone also Orange? From searching this forum Orange branded phones seem to have a lot of software problems (wish I'd read that earlier!).

Could it be too much iCal data? too many calenders (3?)

About to take phone back to Orange shop, for replacement, but have a feeling that will not solve problem. This is driving me mad.

Any help much appreciated.
eeeff
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-12 10:08
another SUCCESS story following the instructions here! THANKS to -lozishere- (oh and Grubtoys PERSISTENCE point!

was a bit fiddely and things weren't where the thread said at times, but I finally got there. Address Book <> Contacts AND iCal <> Calendar seem to be syncing MUCH better! and regular too!

new question: How do you get your various calendars in iCal (Home/Work/Play/whatever) to sync with FOLDERS on the P910?

coming from Palm Desktop I've got a few...

it seems to lump multiple iCal CALENDARS into the UNFILED FOLDER in my P910s calendar???

and if I was to file data into manually created folders (same names as the ical calendars) on the P910, will it lump them back into a single calendar in iCal?

And what of SMS via Addrss book, anyone with a solution? (about the only thing I liked about my Nokia 6600 and Mac relationship)

questions...questions...questions

TIA

P910i on Orange
12" AlumiBook
10.3.8/iSync 1.5/iCal 1.5.5/Eudora 6.2.1/Address Book 3.1.2

[ This Message was edited by: eeeff on 2005-03-12 09:10 ]
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-12 12:35
hmm... some of you are complaining about system instability after syncing. Are your phone's branded and/or do you have a million ical entries? having too many entries into the calendar database on the phone could theoretically cause problems with it. The other thing to check is if you have the latest firmware. i currently have 03 but i will be upgrading to 04 later today as i will have my hands on a pc. will report on the results of synching post-upgrade
Glad to hear the majority of you're getting succesful synchs
gepi
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-03-12 22:52
Right now I am only syncing my contacts, as iCal syncing doesnot work properly for me (it might be the number of the calenders, that is the crucial point, but I don't like only using one calender).

My question here is to them, who have success with syncing: when you are pairing your P910 with the Mac, does the first dialog show syncing as a real choice or is it greyed out (as in my case)?

Lundmark
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-14 09:15
Again, how do I find the file? It's hidden and doesn't even show up when viewing hidden files! The same goes for folder 501.
Sincerely,
Gabriel Lundmark
jerryrense
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 12:14
I've also found that apps like NETBARRIER can cause iSync to stop working. I was trying out version 10.3.2, without any problems. Then I switched the firewall option from 'no restrictions' to 'client, local server'. This caused iSync to stop working. Switching back to the 'no restrictions' setting fixed it again. BUT, I then tried version 10.3.5. iSync could not sync with the P910 anymore, even though the firewall setting was on 'no restrictions'. I had to uninstall NB 10.3.5, AND do the lengthy re-setup posted in this thread to get iSync & the P910 going again.
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-14 21:03
Ok, found out that if you are using a P910a, you must replace all instances in the guide at the beginning with P910-2. This is because the regional versions have different identifier strings.
riquito
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 21:21
Many thanks to you guy. I am now able tto sync correctly with 10.3.8 and my p910i. The only thing not orking is the P910i icon in the isync window, but who really cares.

Many, many thanks

Eric
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-14 22:57
For the icon: Go to /system/library/syncservices/symbianconduit.bundle/contents/resources/ and copy te file called P900.tif in there to the desktop using apple-c to copy and apple-v to paste it to the desktop. Rename it to P910-1.tif and put it back in /system/library/syncservices/symbianconduit.bundle/contents/resources/

Enjoy
eastwindfl
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 02:15
I am happy to thank Lozishere profusely.

My P910a is now synching via iSync on my Mac G5 but not before taking a number of steps before it finally caught.

First I quit all my neat bluetooth apps such as BluePhoneElite and Salling Clicker. Next I followed the steps posted by Lozishere at:
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=80311
at this point it still would not sync.

Next I deleted the pairing and bonding in Bluetooth System Prefs as well as deleting the P910a from the iSync under devices. Then I did a new pair in Bluetoothe System Prefs and added a device in the iSync program. (no phone icon but who cares?)

Note: The check box for "turn on P910 synching" in the iSync for the P910a was still greyed out. This time I left the "contacts" box checked and the "calendar" box "unchecked". I started the Sync Now and it took! My contacts synching finally.

Next I got brave and checked the Calendar box and BINGO, it synced!

gepi
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 08:15
@eastwindfl

How many calendars do you have?
bjornv
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-15 16:54
@ charlienotsync and anyone it helps.

After much trial and error I have discovered that the problems the phone was experiencing after syncing with iCal were caused by "all-day" events. I removed them all from my calenders and the phone's working like a dream.

Would be good if individual iCal's could sync with 910, but for the time being I will be happy with a working phone and ability to isync. Thanks again Loz for the solution.

P910i on Orange
15" Power Book
OSX 10.2.8
charlienotsync
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-20 19:13
thanks everyone for your help

bjornv... Thanks! I will try erasing the all day events!

and try syncing again! ps. my phone is from orange.

from charlie
rogergiddings
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-20 21:52
Registered just to thank you for this work round after a weekend of rising frustration. Followed your instructions and it worked really well.
Using a mac on system 10.3.8
Thanks
~lozishere~
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-20 23:26
Good good!! Nice to know there's a nice bigish mac community out there
Does anyone know any itunes shared library applications that'll run on windows 98? Just cos I want an old laptop to use in the living room as an itunes client for the music stored on my big mac (tm) in the basement,
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi