Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > File sizes in My Pictures don't add up

Author File sizes in My Pictures don't add up
lesneo
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2002-07-06 19:37
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Recently, while transferring a large animated gif file to my T68 thro cable, I realised something.

The actual file size is recorded to be 248kb. After a long process in the transfer (about 10 min through cable), I was shocked to see that the memory status in my phone being reduced to only about 70kb. Before the transfer, I was having about 700kb. I thought that I would have a remainder of about 400 over kb after the 248kb animated gif file.

What I did next was to go to "My Picture" menu and add up all the pic files that I have. After that, I went to check memory status of the "My Picture" column. This is the shocker:

The file sizes of all my pics does not telly with the memory space they occupy under the "Memory Status" of the "My Pictures" column.

Why so? That means, if I transfer an image of say, 12kb to my phone, it actually occupies twice that amount of memory in terms of kb in my phone.

To anyone who reads this, please do the following test:

Go to My Pictures menu. Click on any pic. When pic appears on screen, click yes. The option menu will appear. Go down to "Memory status". Scroll down to "My pictures". Wait for a while for the reading to appear. Write down somewhere the memory reading in kb. Go back to your first image. Click on it again to activate the option menu again. Scroll down to "Picture info". Record the file size of all the pics you have. After that, add up all the pic sizes. You will find that the accumilated pic sizes is only about half of what it is stated under the "Memory status" menu.

Can anyone shed some light?
Blade Runner
W810 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-06-11 12:26
No one knows what's going on? Who cheat us here? 5KB is 5KB and not 12-15KB when transfered to a phone !?!?
phil.n
T630
PM
Posted: 2003-06-11 12:42
It is because your phone stores the phone in a different way to your computer.

Regards,

Phil.
the_ape
T610
PM
Posted: 2003-06-11 12:50
Right, it's all about the way the file system on the phone stores files.

The memory is divided into clusters (same as on your pc hard disk), however the clusters on the phone are larger so the phone has to do less work on IO/File allocation when accessing/storing files (for speed, you wouldnt want to miss a call because it's trying to load your midi now would ya). Each cluster can only have 1 piece of information in it, so you get 'waisted' space, example

you have 600k free on your phone, your phones memory is split into 100k clusters (not sure what the t610 uses for cluster size, but this is only an example)

You have a 300k file to store, that will use 3 clusters ie 300k = no waisted space and still have 300k free as expected.

now you have a 250k file this also uses 3 sectors (but only 50k of the third) however that 50k that is left in the third sector is now 'waisted' space and cannot be used, so the 250k file uses 300k of space as well.

You can actually see this on your hard disk if you use NT/2K/XP and NTFS for the file system, right click an uncompressed (not ntfs compressed) then properties, it will tell you the file size, and the file size on disk, and the file size on disk is usually more than the file itself, unless it's divisble by the cluster size that NT is using (different on different releases of NTFS)

You will also find that the phone stores other information with the file (apple style) so it knows what that file is for, and what it can do with it.

Hope that helps....

The Ape

[ This Message was edited by: the_ape on 2003-06-11 11:52 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi