Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > nuances of the english language.

Author nuances of the english language.
crowing
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 13:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i think "thick" has evolved into different meanings.. but in its "essense" thick will always pertain to something "hard" to go through right (as compared to thin )?

it all boils down to how you comprehend a language in its FULL context and i think in any language, especially older ones, you cannot translate word for word and get the same meaning, that is why we have so many translations of the Bible. RIght?

Now with regards to "Mr. X, have you lost your marbles?", yes it can be replaced with “are you drunk?”, two phrases which insinuate someone is not in his usual “normal” self and if you add the phrase/question “or are you really this thick?”, one should realize that the definition of the word THICK is already defined by the first phrase…

And I quote my grade 3 English teacher, “these are what you call contextual clues…wherein blah, blah, blah, blah."
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 14:19
Quote:

On 2005-01-07 04:59:00, GOwin wrote:
Oh well. As far as the feedback from others is concerned, I am confident that "thick" as used in the sentence was used as it was meant or expected in English.

@gowin - Maybe so It's just that I am not 'used' in hearing this words - more often compared to the 2 ones I made mention . . . tri-media included (print/tv/radio) ! Really and honestly speaking here Mr. Moderator, in our place (Manila) it is but of a common (practice) to see and hear that the word 'THICK' is frequently being followed by the word - "FACE" , specially when issue taken at hand is something to the effect that a person is cajoling or whining (makulit/Tagalog) at someone !
crowing
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 14:37
@JN

di you ever get to translate the sentence - "PANG ILANG PRESIDENTE SI GLORIA ARROYO?" - in english?
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 14:45
Quote:

On 2005-01-07 14:37:07, crowing wrote:
@JN

di you ever get to translate the sentence - "PANG ILANG PRESIDENTE SI GLORIA ARROYO?" - in english?

@crowing - I've heard that joke before during my elementary days, though Ferdinand Marcos was still in power. But I guess the very safest answer would be - 14th ! On the greener side . . . can you translate: "Ibinigay Ko Ang Lata Kay Tan "
crowing
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 15:01
Quote:

On 2005-01-07 14:45:57, JN wrote:
....But I guess the very safest answer would be - 14th ! On the greener side . . . can you translate: "Ibinigay Ko Ang Lata Kay Tan "

i was asking for an English translation of the sentence/question...

that "riddle" is not a joke, its actually an example of the point of this whole thread....
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 15:12
@crowing - OK, now, since I can honestly say that translating that would and can be done in numerous ways - which will surely result to plain - STUPIDITY ! Can you translate it for me then - mate Also, what you have in mind (as far as English terms which has DOUBLE meanings when translated) is quite FAR from what @gowin's title thread is all about dude ! Translate your own - riddle !
crowing
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 15:23
why would it result into plain stupidity?
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 15:33
Quote:

On 2005-01-07 15:23:35, crowing wrote:
why would it result into plain stupidity?

@crowing - Because the words you want me to translate - just can't be done mate ! If so, then by all means - translate it pal. If ever I see a very 'qualified' one then - I'll retract the word 'stupidity' that I just posted . . . I am waiting buddy !
Pallister
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 15:52
English - Fluent
Norwegian - Fluent of course
Swedish - Fluent
Danish - Fluent
German - Fluent
Spanish - Fluent
Italian - Fluent

Tell me guys. Are you impressed or what..

Yaay for the schools in Norway!
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-07 16:23
to "cajole" or to be "whiny" is not same as being persistent.

dictionary.com defines
cajole as "To urge with gentle and repeated appeals, teasing, or flattery; wheedle."

while to be whiny is "to complain with childish fashion."

it is nowhere near the Philippine word for "makulit" or persistent.

Translation is more than just literally translating words from one language into another.

The context of how it was used must always be taken into consideration.

As for crowing's question, an acceptable translation is : "How many presidents were there before
Arroyo?"

Remember, the objective of the question is to determine the ordinal order of placement of Arroyo's presidency.

so if you want to know PGMA's order in the list of philippine presidents, and there's no way of translating the question literally, without losing the essense of the question, then you ask how many presidents have you had before Arroyo. by getting the number, we can already get the order. very simple.

That is contextual translation.

Now, stay on topic. This thread is not dedicated to the peculiarity of Philippine English, but the English language in general.

PS
if you are wondering about the missing posts, they've been deleted for being irrelevant to the topic of this dicussion thread.
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-07 16:29
an English translation of " "Ibinigay Ko Ang Lata Kay Tan" is "I gave the can to Tan" or "I gave Tan a can".

There's nothing green or unusual about it.
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 16:40
As for crowing's question, an acceptable translation is : "How many presidents were there before
Arroyo?"

@gowin - Hmmm . . . I am not sure here Mr. Moderator. If so, with your answer to that of @crowing's, will result to: There were 13 Presidents before GMA . . . though what we are aiming at is to get GMA's postion at # 14th ! Now we are talkin' - Politics here . . . Will result to an endless discussion, just like when discussing:

1. Religion
2. Money
3. Food
3. Women

Right answer with that of my 'Q' . But would just result to a 'green' response when the words are typed with no spaces in between, don't you think?
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-07 16:45
Obviously, you're out of line again.

[sigh]

Again, this thread is about the nuances of the English language.

I hope there's no one dense enough to insist otherwise.

There is nothing green or unusual about the translation. There is nothing "green" or nasty about it in English.

[ This Message was edited by: GOwin on 2005-01-07 15:51 ]
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-07 17:08
reminder:
off topic replies will be deleted without prejudice!
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-07 17:32
I can speak english, french, and a bit of spanish.
but i can only write in english.
i envy people that can speak more than 3 languages.

I know what you mean though GOwin.
For example (slang) in East london, people talk in many ways, being a very cosmopolitan City.
Me old mans forking out for a PS2.
or
My father is buying a playstaion 2. [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic