Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > 3 Network Policy (good to know)

Author 3 Network Policy (good to know)
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-21 20:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Just thought I'd mention this in its own thread.
After getting my 6630 and calling up 3 to ask them for the settings, I was told that it is against their policy for me to use a phone that is not purchased from 3.

So I thought, oh ok, screw it, I'll just get the settings from somewhere else.

After going to aussie3g.com, i discovered that 3 actively search for non-3 bought mobiles and actually cancel your contract.

A person said he received a call from the Customer Services and was told that his contract was cancelled. They assumed that they just scan for IMEI numbers that are not registered on their network.

Now although this isn't fair, it seems that you are only caught if you are on a 2g network. So if you stick to the 3g one, you wont be bothered.

Just a tip for everyone.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-12-21 20:54
They have never phoned me and I would actuallt be pretty happy if they did cancell it...I have only used the LG for a little while but most of the time other NON 3 phones...
Jake Blues
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-12-21 22:45
i can see why they would do this for contract customers but they wouldnt bother with 3pay would they? after all i would think 3pay customers still spend a lot more a month than your average contract customer. [addsig]
neonismo
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-12-21 23:39
I've got one of the 1st 606 and 808 handsets, and the USIMs fail in normal 2g handsets. The handsets find the vodafone network then display no network. Doh.

This message was posted from a K700i

amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-22 00:39
i dont know if it's a luck thing or if it's just an aussie thing (you never know, it might be random)
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
djpowelly
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-12-23 18:13
What about the other way round using a 2.5g in a 3g phone?
djpowelly
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-23 20:55
only if the phone supports it. Like the Nokia 7600 or 6630
CybaCowboy
W760 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-17 06:33
According to 3 Australia's old terms and conditions (found on the contract you sign), 3 may cancel their agreement with you (ie. The contract) if more than 50% of your communication is done whilst roaming...

This actually happened to one of my best customers- he was using his (3) USIM in his O2 Xda II and was sent a letter from 3 stating that if he continued to use his USIM is a GSM ("2.5G") phone, they would terminate his contract... So HE canceled it!
OpenOffice.org, the free productivity suite!
<br />

<br />
CybaCowboy
W760 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-17 06:52
3 Australia have since changed the terms of their contracts...

Under the NEW terms, if more than 50% of ur communication is made outside of a Video Zone, they ADD 50% of the bill's total to the bill!

Of course, if sales staff follow procedure, this shouldn't happen- 3 dealers are NOT supposed to sign people up unless the both live AND work in a Video Zone!

I believe the cancel-your-service policy is still in place for pre-paid/pay & go customers (they also pay a MUCH higher rate outside a Video Zone)...
<br />

<br />
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-03-17 08:01
Give me 1 good reason on why a customer should continue using 3 after all this?

This message was posted from a K500

CybaCowboy
W760 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-17 09:30
I have no idea, but I'm giving SERIOUS consideration to leaving 3- I originally bought a Z1010 simply because I liked the phone, but later decided to keep it because of the video-calls...

In the short time that I've been with 3, my phone bill has QUADRUPLED, despite making roughly the same number of calls!

It's because they're so damn expensive (and the customer service, don't even get me started there!)...
<br />

<br />
ruffles
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-04-02 03:41
Basically they want to sell you a handset and force you to use it. It kinda sucks, but with their roaming charges who can blame them.

I know I'm paying more than I would with 3 by being on Orange 3G, but I do get open data and the ability to put my USIM in any old phone.

FYI - In the UK I don't think 3 cancel contracts for this, they just bar your USIM and send you a 'modified' one. Most Three USIMs will only work in 3G handsets anyway.

Ruffy
http://www.talk3g.co.uk
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi