Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sharp and Sony Ericsson announce co-development for 3G FOMA® mobile phones in Japan

12  Next
Author Sharp and Sony Ericsson announce co-development for 3G FOMA® mobile phones in Japan
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 13:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
From press room:

«Sharp and Sony Ericsson announce co-development for 3G FOMA® mobile phones in Japan
29 November 2004
Osaka and Tokyo, JAPAN - Sharp Corporation(Abeno-ku, Osaka: President Katsuhiko Machida)and Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications Japan, Inc. (SEMCJ) [Konan Minato-ku, Tokyo: President Yukio Kubota] today jointly announced an agreement to co-develop the base software and to share selected hardware for 3G FOMA (Freedom of Multimedia Access) mobile phones for NTT DoCoMo, Inc.

In the area of software development, Sharp and SEMCJ will take NTT DoCoMo’s software platform licence which uses the Symbian OSTM supplied by Symbian and use it as the basis to co-develop new software for FOMA phones. Symbian OS has become the most popular and highly regarded smartphone OS in the world. This success has lead to content developers creating a wide range of high quality and exciting applications for the operating system, further enhancing its appeal and enabling phone users to enjoy high-quality, multi-media and entertainment phones.

Sharp and SEMCJ will also share some selected hardware, working together to build an efficient development environment by sharing both software and hardware development resources. Using the co-developed technology as the basis for new mobile phones, Sharp and SEMCJ hope to realize appealing and attractive FOMA phones which are unique to each brand.

"We are very pleased to work with Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications Japan, Inc.”, said Masafumi Matsumoto, Corporate Executive Director and Group General Manager of Communication Systems Group, Sharp Corporation. “Through this agreement, we look forward to working with SEMCJ to develop the base software for new products so we can launch exciting new Sharp handsets to the market.

“We are very happy to collaborate with Sharp Corporation on FOMA development,” said Yukio Kubota, President of Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications Japan, Inc. “With this collaboration, we will be able to develop the software base for FOMA phones quickly and efficiently. This will enable us to concentrate on application development and create appealing FOMA phones which are unique to Sony Ericsson and appealing to phone users.”

Following today’s announcement, Sharp and SEMCJ will finalize the details of the cooperation. A concrete schedule for the development of new phones will be decided on in conjunction with NTT DoCoMo, Inc.
»

[ This Message was edited by: Krubach on 2004-11-29 12:47 ]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 13:53
@krubach - Looks like I am seein' an @axxxr with this post of yours matey - Nice one though! Maybe, just maybe (who knows) that in the very distant future, Sharp will just be included in the group tie-ups (with Sony and Ericsson) I am now beginning to IMAGINE how will the TRIO be called then if ever : "So-Sharp-Eric" Hmmm . . . tells a very different meaning to me here, more of an ADULT content!
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 13:57
"Sharp Eric" loks like a fisherman nickname

I don't see Sharp and SE merging their phones departments... [addsig]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:03
@krubach - With the MERGING, just who knows mate As I SEE more tie-ups in the years to come!
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:05
Yup. Maybe. I rather see them merge with Sharp than with any other manufacturer. At least they can get something from their imaging know how... [addsig]
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:08
Oh, a new marriage!

This message was posted from a T68i

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:12
@krubach - I GUESS too mate!

@bobafett - Maybe it's more of a DIVORCE . . . between Sony and Ericsson

I want Nokia to tie-up (merge) with EITHER Samsung or Motorola . . . will result either: SaNok, NoMot, NokSung, NokiRola . . .
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:15
Sharp and SE isn't fully merging....so it is not a marriage.
just some exciting affair is going out.

IMHO, this will benefit both company....if not mistaken, Sharp didn't have any Symbian phone while SEMC didn't have any phone supply for FOMA yet (Even it is WCDMA)

Just hope it won't be fatal affair....(Fatal Attraction??) hahaha....
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:17
c96htl - Yeah . . . it is MORE of an EXPERIMENTING collaboration mate!
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:28
The sharp desk calculators are good. But their mobile fones arent a big deal imo.

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:32
@bobafett - Not to forget mentioning their: TVs, DVDs, Components, Fridge etc . . . Their 'calculators' are already a thing of the past dude!
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:49
@jn thats the only thing what i accept of them, the other ones u listed arent special for me.

*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:52
@bobafett - Well can't blame you here matey . . . as you've been stocked with thei calculators . . . I guess ! Their Tvs are good as well, as I am hearing NO negate feedbacks to date. Their Fridge cools more on Summertime and gets hot during the Winter season !
BobaFett
R520 copper
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:56
@jn i never liked cñpanies who produce all kind of things just to be present at every kind of market.

Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 14:57
Quote:

On 2004-11-29 14:15:14, c96sthl wrote:
SEMC didn't have any phone supply for FOMA yet

I'm almost sure they already did... [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi