Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P910i from Treo 600 - 1st impressions

Author P910i from Treo 600 - 1st impressions
brainwashington
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-12 10:32
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Finally received my upgrade P910i from Orange having had a Treo 600 for the past 12 months. First thoughts;

-Slow (Avantgo takes several seconds to load and when I open the flip I sometimes get a few seconds of white, blank screen)
-Clunky interface, not as polished as Palm and no clear way to close apps.
-Have to use Outlook

Also With the Treo 600 you just press the hotsync button and all apps (e.g. Avantgo, Worldmate etc..) sync through the conduit. With the P910i it seems that you have to open each app on the cradle and then click sync????

Other than these points I really do like the P910i, its well made and the screen is glorious. If I could have a P910i with Palm software, I really would be happy.

Cheers
nunopresley
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-12 13:20
Hi,

I have a Tungsten T3 + SE T630 and am seriously thing about dumping it for a P900 but don't know if it's the right choice. I like the Palm software, the palm's speed, the palm syncing easiness but I don't like carying both palm and mobile phone and the P900 seems the better solution once the treo 600 doesn't have bluetooth and the 160x160 display seems too low res. The treo 650 isn't available yet (here in portugal) and will be too expensive.
Do you think I will regret changing from Tungsten + Mobile phone to P900?
Cheers.
Nuno
Atlis
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-12 13:33
I have T3 + K700i and change for P9 would be BIG mistake. If you want smartphone, wait for Treo650 or keep your T3.

This message was posted from a K700i

brainwashington
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-12 15:25
Quote:

On 2004-11-12 13:33:58, Atlis wrote:
I have T3 + K700i and change for P9 would be BIG mistake. If you want smartphone, wait for Treo650 or keep your T3.

This message was posted from a K700i

Convergence is the future dude, I used to have a Tungsten T and T68i and it was a waste of time as I kept on forgetting the Tungsten at home, car, office. The Treo 600 solved all my problems and it has served me well. So why the hell do I now have a P910i..?? I guess its because I want a new toy, bluetooth and a hi-res screen for viewing photos.

All I'm really saying is that I probably won't burn all my Palm bridges and become Symbian-ised because I may go back rather than follow the Sony Ericsson PXXXi UIQ.

Cheers
Carlos

[ This Message was edited by: brainwashington on 2004-11-12 14:26 ]
Matteus
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-12 16:56
I'm using T39+T2 combimation! It is quite optimal! Palmos is working wonderful and i wait a S-E with Palmos because my many programs use it. On the other hand T39 is very suitable when sporting and in the hot and moist sauna.

This message was posted from a T39

nunopresley
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-12 17:09
I agree that the tungsten is a real pda while a P9 is first a phone, then a pda. But the 2 in 1 characteristic is very important when you start to leaving the palm at home for not having to carry 2 things.
As I don't need to use very specific applications that require Palm OS, i'm not really depending on it. I just use the basic applications like contacts, calendar, expense, a couple of games, worldwide clocks, weekly wake-up alarms, etc. and all this applications exist for symbian P9. The only thing I'm concerned is speed response to keys and syncronization problems that so many talk about.
I have a T630 so it would be an improvement for the phone too (voice speaker, VGA camera, video recording, better call and sms options - I think...)
By the way, in the T630 we can't see the hour of a call made before the current day, is it possible with the P9?
Cheers.
Nuno
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-11-12 18:47
Maybe these two recent posts can help you have some more clues about the subject:
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=74432#post989293
http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=74299#post988993

I also came from the Palm platform, and I can tell you you will have difficulty adapting in the first weeks.
It's a new world, nor better or wost, just different.
Different interface, different ways of doing the same stuff, a bit different handwriting, 4 way jogdial, etc.
Like using a PC for a lifetime and starting to use a Mac for the first time (or the contrary)
You will feel the lack of applications. But they exist, they are just rare!
Conduits as you know them in the Palm do not exist in the Symbian OS, because you can browse the files in the phone like it it was a removable drive in the PC. But nevetheless there are apps that sync.

To end, I just want to say I'm having a lot of fun in the process

PS: If you are in Portugal buy everything online. You will save a lot of cash. Trust me.
DIRAVIdude
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-11-19 17:29
Well lads.....

I've come to a measly P800 from a Treo 270 and the feeling of euphoria is similar to what I experienced migrating off Windows onto OSX.

Technology that works is a wonderful thing and to be honest the only thing I miss about the Treo is the thumbpad. Going onto Symbian from PalmOS is just a matter of getting used to and the inconvenience of Jot after that glorious thumbpad is repaid one thousandfold with the speed and reliability of Symbian on the P800 and the robust flip. The Treo's biscuit strength flip saw me spending more time waiting for the epoxy to dry on the flip rather than actually using the phone.

Also Handspring/PalmOne's completely irrelevant (alleged) service and support makes any Handspring/PalmOne product a nonstarter for me out here in malaysia.

I'm one happy camper here...... I dunno which has been the better change in my technology- Windows to OSX, Treo to P800.

Happy happy HAPPY!!!!!

DIRAVI
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi