Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > On the Couch with scotsboyuk

Previous  123 ... 414243 ... 454647  Next
Author On the Couch with scotsboyuk
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-06 10:01
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Good morning and welcome to the couch. Today I am chatting with arguably the greatest 'hero' of Esato. Many members may be unaware that Esato once stood on the brink of utter ruin and destruction, but that, by the actions of a dedicated band and with the support of the wider community, Esato managed to survive. Joining me on the couch today is the man who led the struggle for survival in that dark time, a true Esato hero, Wuz.

What is the best thing about Esato?

Wuz says:
Its that gem of a post that alights with bewildering regularity, leaving you rolling about with laughter…
Just yesterday I read in delighted awe a thread from some stricken poster trying to determine how many others had experienced problems plugging in their charger in the dark! 50+ replies! You are all bonkers!!!!
So, what do I like best? It has to be the sheer dedication to the cause displayed by your average die-hard, mobile phone fan. That, and of course the fact that Esato is without doubt the most informative and helpful site of its kind, anywhere on the web.

Who is your favourite member of Esato?

Wuz says:
It’s a photo finish …everyone wins.

Who is your favourite moderator?

Wuz says:
Currently, I find Masseur to be the most visible presence and always happy to help. But at different times over the years, that can be said for others too.

What is your favourite Esato moment?

Wuz says:
I guess the build up to the t68i…thousands and thousands of posts in anticipation of this new, wonderful and ground breaking phone. And once it was eventually released…no one was disappointed. The threads continued and SE adulation became a matter of fact rather than hyped fiction.

What is your least favourite Esato moment?

Wuz says:
The day we heard that Laffen might have to close the site… the infamous RIP Esato thread!!!

Many may be unfamiliar with the fact that Esato was almost shutdown permanently, can you describe to us what happened?

Wuz says:
As mentioned above, Laffen – completely out the blue as far as your average visitor to the site was concerned – announced that the site had become too costly and would probably have to shut down in a matter of a few weeks. What followed was a 6 week struggle by members to raise the funds to keep the site open.

You did a great deal to unify and motivate the other members of Esato into donating money, were you conscious of being the 'Hero of the Hour'?

Wuz says:
Aw..thanks!
I guess I was conscious that someone had to steer the community in the right direction. We were getting all kinds of wild suggestions with regard fund-raising ideas…but no money was coming in. I run my own businesses, and so have a certain amount of knowledge and experience in the commercial arena. I helped steer the efforts but at the end of the day, it was all the members who contributed to the cause who helped Esato prevail… very much a team effort.

At the time, you pointed out to laffen that you thought he should be more vocal in his campaign to save Esato, do you think laffen handled the situation wrong?

Wuz says:
No – because the site was saved and is more healthy today than its ever been. Although, his low-profile approach to proceedings did leave me somewhat bemused at times.

The situation was touch and go for a while and the 'RIP Esato' thread makes for some very dramatic reading with progress reports not looking good and members up in arms over possible takeover bids, did you ever lose hope?

Wuz says:
Most definitely. We never really understood exactly what was required financially to save the site and initially, the total sum of money being raised was very low. However, gradually things got better and better and after about a month or so, the glass suddenly began to look half full again!

Almost all the members were united behind laffen, except one, can you tell us about the chap who accussed laffen of profiteering?

Wuz says:
To be honest, I don’t remember that at all. Everyone’s entitled to their own views of course. However, that’s a pretty naïve and ill-conceived assertion, imoho.

As the crisis drew to a close a raffle was proposed, with a Bluetooth headset as the prize, but the prize was never given out and you had to wait a year to find out what had happened; do you feel this was a letdown to the members who had campaigned so hard and donated so much to save Esato?

Wuz says:
Yes.

You have maintained a low-profile since the end of the crisis, are you still involved with Esato much these days?

Wuz says:
To be honest, my involvement with Esato is exactly the same as its always been. I check out whats happening on the site, several times a day. However, I have never been one to post unless I have a very specific query.
-Indeed, I believe there are many like me…keeping a low profile, as you put it, but ever-present.

How would you respond if there was a similar crisis today?

Wuz says:
In the same way as previously…it worked, didn’t it!

Which mobile are you currently using?

Wuz says:
Several...but never go without my old favoiurite... the T68i!

Which mobile are you most looking forward to?

Wuz says:
P910 successor.

Do you have a message for Esato?

Wuz says:
Keep doing what you are doing and we all shall prevail.

A very special thnak you to my guest for granting us this very rare interview and thank you to all those who helped to ensure that Esato still exists today.

RIP Esato

The Contributors

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-08-28 05:33 ]
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-03-06 10:28
Nice interview Scotty:-)

This message was posted from a K700i

Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-03-07 03:50
Nice one matey
I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
marlonski
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 14:42
Nice one !
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-03-14 18:21
Excellent Interview Scotty. I feel privileged.
Davo_169
T650 Gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-03 12:12
are you there scotsboy??
has the couch been shut down??
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-05-05 04:07
@scotsbrite - So what's NEW on this THREAD of yours pal Try to interview more 'newbies' . . . How about a Mother's Day Special for all Mothers (and to be) here [addsig]
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2005-05-05 05:24
Whats up folks? this topic down already? or has @scotsboy been busy lately?
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-05 12:27
scotsboyuk must be bust at the moment.

He'll be back soon.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2005-05-05 12:49
Quote:

On 2005-05-05 05:24:39, Debu wrote:
Whats up folks? this topic down already? or has @scotsboy been busy lately?

He is a very busy guy, and he has his own website www.se-nse.com another forum.... [addsig]
Cycovision
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-05 15:43
Yeah. I'm looking forward to another interview though, fascinating stuff
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-19 05:12
No new interview for over a month.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-23 03:40
@all

The time has come for the couch to be retired to my drawing room ...

Thank you one and all for such a wonderful time; the couch wouldn't have been half as much fun without you, the members of Esato. I have been astounded at the terrific response this thread has received and to think it all started as something of a joke between Vlammetje and myself!

I would like to thank the many people who have given of their time to provide us with such wonderful interviews that have kept us hooked week after week. I would like to say a special word of thanks to Bjerkebanen and cyanx7 who both gave me such splendid interviews; it was both fun and enjoyable interviewing both of you. Thanks also go to masseur, who never quite sat down on the couch, but certainly kept me busy trying to get him there. I would also like to say a special word of thanks to Vlammetje for helping me in the creation of this thread and for providing me with my very first interview; it wouldn't have gotten off the ground without you! Last, but most certainly not least, I would like to thank my old friend pachy; thank you for being you.

Thank you to everyone who has has helped to keep this thread going, from the interviewees to my loyal readers to the moderators who keep Esato running. It has been an honour to serve you.

I hope that new members and those who have yet to discover this thread will read through it and find new friends in the interviews and the comments, that they will get to know some of those who once were and that they will be remembered ...

I would like to close the thread with a song if I may:

There'll always be an England,
While there's a country lane.
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain
There'll always be an England
While there's a busy street.
Wherever there's a turning wheel
A million marching feet.

Red, white and blue
What does it mean to you?
Surely you're proud
Shout it loud
Britons awake!
The Empire too
We can depend on you.
Freedom remains
These are the chains
Nothing can break.

There'll always be an England
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-05-23 04:03
The End of Part 1 ! Next one will be: In The Farm with Scotsboyuk ! [addsig]
GOwin
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-05-23 04:05
By request of scotsboyuk, this thread is locked.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 414243 ... 454647  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic