Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > On the Couch with scotsboyuk

Previous  123 ... 323334 ... 454647  Next
Author On the Couch with scotsboyuk
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 06:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Really good interview.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Atlis
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 12:16
Heeeeey Elrond... nice words!
no cellphone...
Elrond
V800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 12:33
Thank you all. Also congrats to scotsboyuk and his great idea for this thread. It was a real pleasure to read this whole thread. I really enjoyed it.
May the power of search be with you
Proud owner of a HTC HD2, T-Mobile SDA, K750i, Nokia 6120c and a HP iPAQ hx4700
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 15:44
And we do, too.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Ing. FijoK
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 15:55
niiiiiiiiiice work.
I saw the man who can change my destiny... He stood in the mirror.
lenn24
T230
PM
Posted: 2005-01-20 15:57
Is nice to know that the people not only use this forum to interchange information, but also to express the good sentientos that it(he,she) can have, an embrace to all in the forum [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-20 23:00
Good evening and welcome to the couch. My guest tonight is one of my personal favourites, a member who tirelessly helps others and who is a real boon to Esato with his wealth of knowledge and sensible attitude. Please give a warm couch welcome to gbrooks3.

What is the best thing about Esato?

gbrooks3 says:
Just like to say its an honour to sit on this legendary couch, it really is....It has to be the unique community atmosphere (although some would say this is begining to fail). I just Love the fact that if i feel like it, i can ask a question about anything to do with Sony Ericsson on any day and at any time. It is fantastic.

Who is your favourite member of Esato?

gbrooks3 says:
My favourite member, now that is a toughy. I have never really made close ties with anyone here, however going on who i admire and respect it would have to be your good self scotsboy. However i do enjoy a bit of friendly banter with voda_jon (and his phone homicidal tendancies).

Who is your favourite moderator?

gbrooks3 says:
Well this is an easy one, Masseur. I realize the other moderator do a grand job but Masseur is just a class above, he is a legend.

What is your favourite Esato moment?

gbrooks3 says:
Hmm.....there are so many although of recent times i did find voda_jon's V800 reign of destruction rather amusing, and to do it twice is really unforgivable. Other favourites of mine are the reviews of new phones, i have very much enjoyed reading the lot! Every time Masseur announces a new review i am just on tenderhooks. Looking forward to the i-mate Jam

What is your least favourite Esato moment?

gbrooks3 says:
My many involvements with the esato mob. A ruthless breed of phone lovers that will staop at nothing until their prey has been sufficiently weakened to reconsile the threat they pose. Yes, sometimes my posts have the tendancies to be blunt, i am not really one for posting just for the sake of posting.

You are very experienced and knowledgeable with regards to unlocking and debranding handsets; tell us how you first become interested in this?

gbrooks3 says:
Well, this takes me back a few years, one day i woke thinking "what can i do with my phone that i have not done before?". So after many many hours browsing through countless websites i discovered the delights of DIV. Nowadays i have moved on to the best Sony Ericsson service tool - Cruiser and newly released Setool. I dont really care for unlocking, its the firmware that floats my boat. I have been fortunate to learn from some very talented people and now i have some basic knowledge myself that enables me to do some rather fun things with the firmware It just in my nature i guess, i have always been good a taking things apart (not too much success at reassembling them lol), i just love it.

What are the benefits of unlocking or debranding a mobile phone?

gbrooks3 says:
Well unlocking a handset is as easy as 1,2,3. It just give the customer that extra bit of freedom. We are relatively lucky that unlocking solutions are plentiful for Sony Ericsson phones, unlike some other manufacturers. Debranding or as i like to call it by its more regal name "decustomizing" is a gift from above. 'I have no idea why networks feel the need to post their logos all over a phone??? They consumer has already purchased it, why do they still need to be flooded with service provider advertisement??? This is a prsonal crusade of mine.

You seem to have become more active of late, is there any reason for this?

gbrooks3 says:
Well, yes i suppose i have, alot of that has to do with the new SEMC phone servicing tools. There are millions of problems to be discussed and answered. The other prominant factor is a feeling of guilt. I did not post or visit Esato for a long time and i just feel it is right for me to make an effort, as others did when i first signed up.

Some members may not have heard of a P905, of which there is only one in existence I believe, can you tell us more about this particular handset?

gbrooks3 says:
This was a name devised by Miklsp i believe. I am pretty sure i was the first person in the UK to own one (as i had the tools needed myself). It is basically the P900 with P910 firmware slapped on it, main reason is to boost the Memory Stick capacity to 1gb. Other features are there but this i dont think the couch is the place to discuss them. There are now definatley over 200 on the UK at least as i have converted them and many more world wide i am sure.

What do you like doing when you are not online?

gbrooks3 says:
When not online i am often trying to repress the withdrawl symptoms initiated from not browsing esato. No i enjoy a busy student life, probably consuming too many alcoholic beverages for my own good. I also enjoy the an active lifestyle, with trips to the gym etc etc.

Do you think Esato needs a 'new look'?

gbrooks3 says:
Umm....no not especially. I like it the way it is, but any makeover that takes place is likely to be top notch anyway. So i am not really fussed either way.

Which mobile are you currently using?

gbrooks3 says:
Currently my P910i, hopefully the V800 - when i am able to fix it.

Which mobile are you most looking forward to?

gbrooks3 says:
The i-mate jam. The size is what attracted my attention, incredible. Methinks i will have one of those before long.

Do you have a message for Esato?

gbrooks3 says:
Everyone - play nicely in the forums, respect eachother and get flashing those phones

Gosh this couch is rather comfy, do i have to get up now?

Thank you to gbrooks3 and please join me again soon when I shall we spekaing with Jim, SE-Naz, ThreeX and Jiggy Jaggy.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-08-28 04:48 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 13:10
Good afternoon and welcome to the couch. Today I am chatting with one of Esato's veterans, a dedicated Esatonian and someone always ready with an opinion. After having been less active he has come back to Esato more determined than ever to help others and enjoy himself in the process. It is my pleasure to introduce dave_uk.

dave_uk says:
I think, without doubt, Esato is the most valuable resource for information on all things mobile, and particularly SonyEricsson, and that is what differentiates it most from other online communities. It never ceases to amaze me the breadth of knowledge that the cross-section of members provide – there are some real experts around here!

dave_uk says:
A very difficult question, and I don’t think I can narrow it down to one, so I’ll choose 4: Meths, Vlamm, Vanquish and, of course, your good self, old chap!

dave_uk says:
I’ve only really had contact with Masseur and Tranquil, both of whom have been great guys to deal with, even when I have stepped (very occasionally, you understand!) out of line. Masseur is also incredibly knowledgeable, and how he has the time to do as much as he does, I will never know!

dave_uk says:
I’m sure it sounds awfully like I’m crawling, but I think the start of this very thread has to rank up there – perhaps I should elaborate:

I have had two main “spells” at Esato, back in the old days, and again in the last few months – the interviews with some of the older members, like Fijbert and Pachy, who are no longer around, and some of their reasons why, have made very interesting reading, and given how much Esato has changed over time, it is always good to look back!

dave_uk says:
There really is very little negative to say! I suppose I would have to identify my mini-barney with masseur recently when I was, perhaps, a little unfair, and he told me so. I have had numerous disagreements with various members in my time here, but he is the only one who I respect and have disagreed with, and that is the only time I am bothered.

You are often to be found posting in the various political threads, which appear from time to time; do you feel this is an important part of Esato?

dave_uk says:
I generally find myself posting in these threads almost unintentionally, to correct what I regard as misconceptions, or downright incitement to racial hatred. I do see that as important as many members who are respected for their involvement in the mobile threads and therefore I believe can influence the community with ill-informed propaganda posted on the other boards. Personally, I do not really feel that this is the appropriate forum for such discussions but everyone is, of course, entitled to discuss what they like, and therefore I sometimes feel it necessary to post there.

You have been noted for not conforming to the trend amongst many Esatonians, indeed many internet users, to believe in conspiracy theories, why take a stance against them?

dave_uk says:
I think this probably slightly overlaps with my answer above. I actually have nothing against conspiracy theories per se, but the propagating of these theories to promote one’s own agenda is what I object to. Many conspiracy theories are no more than a bit of fun, but those that you are referring to, I think, are those with a political or religious twist. That’s also fine, if you are up front about your own position, but to put across theories as objective, when in fact you simply are trying to discredit a government/political party/entire race of people, is not on, IMHO.

I have often admired your posts, which are usually full of sensible opinions and good advice; what do you think of those who come to Esato and don't seem to post anything, which is actually useful to anyone?

dave_uk says:
Thank you very much! I don’t really have any issue with people with posting “garbage” or not posting at all – some of the “garbage” is hilarious, and a fundamental part of Esato, and those who just watch from afar are most welcome. We all have at some point and that’s how the community grows! I guess the only objections I have is to people who are rude for no reason, or who turn up and expect that they have a god-given right to have their questions answered. Gaaaaaaahhh!

You work for CPW, can you give us any news on any upcoming handsets or services that we might not yet know about?

dave_uk says:
Actually, I get far more information from here than I obtain through my job. I do occasionally get my hands on a handset before it’s available to the general public, but I’m not alone in that respect among Esato members – and there are those who appear to dedicate a lot of time to keeping us abreast of new developments, so I rarely find I have any “scoops”.

At the moment, it’s all gone a bit quiet with new handset releases, especially from which, hopefully is the calm before the storm! On the broader subject of the market as a whole, I do think that combined fixed/mobile handsets (which switch between mobile rates and fixed line rates, depending on your location) and eventually mobile Voice over IP (VoIP) are the future, but we shall have to wait and see. 3G has shaken the market up somewhat, and it will be some time before we see what the real effects of this will be.

dave_uk says:
No. I don’t think the “look” is that important – I find Esato very easy to navigate and find what I want. Not mad on the limitations of the ‘search’, but other than that, I think there’s very little that warrants change. Although, I have seen a couple of features on ‘newer’ boards that could be implemented but the Esato Forum tends to take care of that. In general, I think laffen’s doing a fantastic job and I will be more than happy if he keeps doing it!

dave_uk says:
SonyEricsson P910i and a Nokia 6230 (work phone). Though, I’m looking for something to replace the 6230 (which doubles as my “going out” phone). Had thought about both the Motorola V3 and the Samsung D500, but really would like to provide me with something viable, as there are things that bug me about both the aforementioned!

dave_uk says:
The successor to the P910i (or P1000 as we seem to like to call it). It will have to be pretty impressive to take on the Motorola MPX, Nokia 7710 and 9x00 series and my personal “best of the rest” – the I-mate Jam. I’m looking for Wi-Fi, serious camera (5MP? – if it’s in Korea, what are we waiting for?!) and, of course, UMTS support – I can’t think of a great deal else that I would want.

dave_uk says:
Thank you very much to Scots for having me – I hope the continent-sized imprint left by my backside on your lovely couch doesn’t take too long to fade.

To all – Esato is what it is because of it’s members (and a fair share of hard work by laffen and the mods!) and the old cliché…and I’m not a fan of clichés…that you get out what you put in has never been more true. As an outspoken American Chat Show host once said, “Take care of yourselves…and each other!”

Thank you to my guest, dave_uk, and please join me again soon when my guests will include SE-Naz; veterans, Jim and JiggyJaggy and Esato legend sanjeevjaya.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2005-01-21 12:11 ]
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 13:19
Good interviews there - mates!
Ing. FijoK
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 13:27
Really good
I saw the man who can change my destiny... He stood in the mirror.
lenn24
T230
PM
Posted: 2005-01-21 17:34
is true!! [addsig]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-21 18:09
My next guest today is a member not all of you may be familiar with. I remember when he first joined and it seemed as if he would become a regular poster, but then, like so many others, he has stepped back and posts 'quietly' these days. Known for his dislike of nonsense he established a reputation for himself as a reliable and informative poster, It gives me great pleasure to welcome onto the couch today, sapporobaby.

sapporobaby says:
That it is an open forum that pretty much allows people to agree or disagree, to share info. It is quite comprehensive and chocked full of good info. This is why I still come here.

sapporobaby says:
I would have to say Kimcheeboi and without sounding patronizing, I would say you as well. Both of you provide quite a bit of levity and humor, and in some cases down right hysterics. I generally look forward to anything you guys post. Not to mention JoolsG4, a fellow Mac-head and purveyor of great Mac info. Subtle plug for Mac there.

sapporobaby says;
Actually I do not really know the mods that well as I rarely interact with them. I would say Laffen simply for starting this thing in the first place. Good job dude.

sapporobaby says:
Reading the first review of the s700. It made me search high and low until I had one. I was almost to the "money is not option" stage in my search but I got lucky when I went back to Germany. A friend or mine at SE hooked me up with one. I am an early adopter of technology. I usually like to have it first, or pretty close to first.

sapporobaby says;
When that one guy, uhh, Energetic continued to post that he had flashed his P800 with P900 software. It was annoying to see all of the P800'ers fall for this and then to scream at SE for not making it happen.

I seem to remember that used to be much more active on Esato, why have you become less active?

sapporobaby says:
I am in Kuwait now and I work for one of the GSM operators here, and this takes up quite a bit of time, so I browse and look around. I usually hope in if there is something where I feel I can contribute.

Doing my research for this interview I noticed that you have not been a fan of people posting tosh in the past, what do you think of the current state of Esato?

sapporobaby says:
I think that Esato is probably the more professional of all the forums that I have visited. This is why I tend to point out the constant complaining, and sometimes whining about phone prices or features, or whatever. At the end of the day, these are still phones. If they cost too much, don't buy them. Not enough features, write a not to SE or don't buy them. I like the P910 but it does not do everything I want, so I will not buy it. Quite simple. I also tend to be very pragmatic about things. Living in Kuwait does that to you.

Like myself you started off by posting mainly in the P800/P900/P910 forum (or P800 forum as it was when I joined), but gradually moved towards posting in the various other forums, why the change?

sapporobaby says;
I mainly search the forums for specific info about the equipment that I have, i.e. the Mac forums, k and s 700's forums. Sometimes I will browse around and see if I pick up something new. I also try to see what Axxxr( was that enough x) has posted by way of news.

You dont seem to post very much in the Rubbish forum or Mobile Free Zone, despite there being some rather interesting threads there, why not?

sapporobaby says:
Not sure but I will check this out more. Thanks for the tip.

What do you like to do when you are not online?

sapporobaby says:
Hang out at the beach, save the world playing a bit of XBOX, go up to Dubai and see what new goodies they have up there. Also I hit Europe everyone and then.

sapporobaby says:
Sure, not the content though but maybe a new graphical look.

sapporobaby says:
I have an s700i and a k700i. I also have a Siemens s35 for emergencies. I need a phone with WiFi and right now, Nokia is starting to look good, simply because of the WiFi, but I will remain true to SE. HEAR THAT SE???

sapporobaby says:
I would say the next generation Smartphone/PDA/WiFi combo. If one of these were to come out, I would jump on it in a minute. Got to have that WiFi. Any suggestions.

sapporobaby says:
Remember, they are only phones. Oh and, keep up the good postings.

A very big thank you to sapporobaby and I hope you can join me again soon when I will be speaking with a member of 'Esato royalty', a member of the Original Garbage Crew alongside pachy, shithappens, cyanx7 and the rest. Please stay tuned to this thread for my chat with Bjerkebanen.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-08-28 04:50 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-23 05:49
Coming Soon

I will be joined, on location in Malaysia, by Esato legend Bjerkebanen. We have flown the couch out especially for Bjerky and to give it a much needed holiday. I hope you will all be able to join my guest and I as we chat about everything from inventions to Bjerky's memories of his early days on Esato.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
soichiro
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-01-23 10:38
outside studio interview. that's a first!

i could almost imagine..... mesmerizing sounds of the ocean.... and the trade winds breezing through the palm trees.... there u are, seated in a deck chair, sipping some fancy fruit cocktail... talking to one of esato's most illustrious residents...

oohh... can't wait
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-23 10:46
@soichiro

Asterix was interviewed on location, at 30,000 feet in an aeroplane.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 323334 ... 454647  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic