Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Can a P900 substitute a Palm and a T630?

Author Can a P900 substitute a Palm and a T630?
nunopresley
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-05 18:02
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I use a T630 for a mobile phone and a Palm Tungsten T3 for pda. The thing I like the least about this is having to carry both things so I'm thinking about changing both for a single P900. Can it do the trick? I mean, can it substitute the Palm basic applications, as calendar, contacts, etc?
I use the Palm Agendus application and I've seen there's the same app for P900. Does it have the same features? Can we click on a contact on agendus and make a call with it or send an sms right away?

Another thing I'm concerned with is P900 speed. With T630 sometimes the key response is not fast enough as some Nokias i've tried. In recent calls when I click 2 or 3 times down it takes a little bit to scroll to the right position even with a simple theme. For some people this might be secondary but I think this little things that we constantly use have to have a fast response after we click the phone keys.

Another question about speed, do the external symbian applications (like agendus, handy day, datemate) take long to open and operate or are as quick as in Palm?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm in a big dilema between buying a P900 or sticking with the Palm and T630.

Thanks.

Nuno
Jabe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-05 18:40
I don't have a Palm, but I've heard that Agendus for Symbian is not at all what palm users excpected being used to Palm version. But mostly they find a good substitude in AquaCalendar (I use it myself - a great app)

I'm afraid the response after clicking something is all but fast, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Right now I don't think it's too slow anymore, but I remember that when I first used my p900 I though the slowliness would drive me crazy

About 3rd party apps - they pretty much open as quickly as any other built-in app. There are a few exceptions like Avantgo - this one takes ages, but like I've said, it's more of an exception than a rule.

But the main advantage is, as you've noticed, that you have it all in one gadget. My sister has a Palm and is very satisfied with it and at first I was considering buying one for myself as well, but having it all in one device was a dealbreaker for me. Besides being in one peace it is also smaller than most of the Palm devices. But I didn't have anything at the begining. I admit that if I was you I'd probably stick with what you have right now.

[ This Message was edited by: Jabe on 2004-11-05 17:42 ]
rochej
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-05 18:49
I used to use a T68i and a Palm T3. I switched them for a p800 and have stuck with that option through 900 and now 910. I would recommend you ditch the palm since carrying two devices is really not necessary any more.
I used to use Agendus on my Palm and still miss that since Agendus for Symbian is really in its early stages (you can download it to try). The only thing it gives that the built in SE apps don't is the 7 day calendar view. which I have learned to live without.
All the stuff on the Palm like editing Word documents etc is now on the 910 so you won't miss that.
The synchronisation with the Palm is better than the SE PC Suite. If PC Suite works you seem to be fine, but if it doesn't it is a real headache.
So apart from the lack of Agendus and the downside of PC Suite, everything else says switch. And not carrying 2 devices and 2 chargers is a benefit - I always needed by address book and diary when I had my phone and not my Palm. Now I aways have everything with me...
_LAU_
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-11-05 19:09
Hi
I was in a similar situation.
I had too much stuff duplicated in my phone (a Siemens Me45) and an old Palm V.
The transition was not smooth, and I had much to learn. The transition from the Palm V to the SE P910 was like going from the PC to a Mac.
I've searched like hell for replacement appplications and started searching even before the P910 had arrived!
I'm still searching today, but finally I think I'm getting used to the phone and getting confortable with my choices.
It have been a very good experience for me and I'm glad I dumped the old phone and the Palm. It was too much for me to carry both devices in the pocket!

plasmadog
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-11-05 19:24
Oh yes definitely. P900 is extremely versatile.

This message was posted from a T630

basoost
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-11-05 20:04
Hi, i've switched from a T65 and a Psion Series 5mx to P800 and I found it a breath of fresh air. I don't miss the Psion for one bit (although the keyboard was pretty good). I will never go back to carrying two devices (although I sometimes have to carry an ugly Nokia from work as well ). I'd say go for it!
T10 - T65 - T300 - T610 - P800 - K800 - P1i
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-05 20:24
I bought a P900 so I do not have to carry around 2 devices and I am pretty happy with my choice. The P900 does everything I need it to do in the PDA department.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi