Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Previous  123 ... 610611612 ... 181018111812  Next
Author South African mobile discussion
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2007-01-02 17:35
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ KBR, here you go:
A choice of Dual Mode, UMTS or GSM:

Right, about Orange.
I phoned them earlier today to request a PAC number for an extremely easy to remember number.
One of the first things that they ask you in the department that deals with PAC numbers is why do you want to leave the network for another.
Normally I rattle off cheaper tariffs from the likes of Tesco or O2 online, they can't match these on PAYG and then they get the PAC number.

So I speak to a bloke in Orange customer care and go through all the usual questions.
Lo and behold, he was able to offer far better tariffs than normal Orange PAYG. I was so surprised that I re-emphasised that I was a PAYG customer, thus there wasn't as much incentive to offer me these. He re-confirmed that it still applies, and that Orange will not make these 'for a limited time only' special either.

Basically, they have equalled T-Mobile's fantastic 'everyone' PAYG tariff, which is 12p a minute anytime any network. I then asked how could they match O2's international bolt-on. He was able to offer me 8p to SA landlines at anytime, and 25p to SA cellphones. Now that's not the cheapest way to phone SA from here, but from a cellphone it is on a par with Mobile World's prices, although 5p more to SA cellphones yet 5p cheaper for UK ones.
The only benefit with O2 would thus be 5p cheaper sms's to SA, but that is a minor issue compared to all the other benefits.
Also, no minimum top-up is required either, so I'm a happy bunny.
So for now I'm back on Orange. The future with Orange suddenly looks a bit brighter...
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
Kryptik
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-02 18:43
Quote:

On 2007-01-02 15:43:34, amawanqa wrote:
...maintaining a far healthier diet...

This is just about the only thing i'm aiming for this year, following the unconscious back-of-mind method which Francois mentioned... Apart from that i don't really bother with resolutions. Far better to set down in writing some goals, together with time frames for those goals...

Francois, if you happen to come across the script of Thabo's speech please post the link. I'd love to read it
I'm not superstitious, merely mildly stitious.
Tokoloshe
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-02 20:33
So yesterday I discovered how truly useless NashuaMobile is. Needless to say they have been contacted via email, the website and telephonically. Let's see how long it takes them to fix their bugger-ups.
@Medusa, congratulations on the promotion, on the car (a real bargain, you saved R40k) and regards to the visiting family, I haven't seen them in ages!
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-02 21:02
Funny thing happened to me today. I received a call from an automated machine telling me that I qualified for a 24- month contract without any credit checks Before the message stopped playing I put down the phone.
@wanqsta: Nice phone there mate.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2007-01-02 22:35
Thanks brixster.
I've been exploring all the features and familiarising myself with the handset, but don't have too much time right now to play around with it, as it's back to the grindstone tomorrow and there's still lots that I've got to do tonight.
I've uploaded a few themes, mp3's etc. and that's about it for now. Will enjoy finding out about new S60v3 applications for it in the weeks ahead, and checking out all the handset features further.

Still strange for me to see a flashing LED on a Nokia in stand-by mode.

[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2007-01-02 22:09 ]
Tokoloshe
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2007-01-03 00:18
@wanqa good luck with the new handset. Yes it's quite strange for a nokia to have a flashing led. I've been with nokia through the good and the bad and will probably remain brand loyal till the end simply because of ease of use and the ready availability and apps etc the only criticism i have for nokias is the choice of cheap coatings such as with my N70, which consequently scratches quite easily. I have since ordered a replacement cover via ebay and am rubbing my hands with anticipation for it's arrival!
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2007-01-03 01:51
Thanks Toks.
I've just worked out that this is my 7th Nokia (and 3rd S60)that I've owned.
My first Nokia was a troublesome 8210, then the super-reliable 6510, followed by the 8310(my 1st UK contract). After that was my second colour screen phone, namely the 7250 (my 2nd UK contract), followed by my first S60 phone, the 3650.
Until recently, I had my 2nd S60 smartphone, which was the 3230.

Good luck with the new housing; hopefully it arrives safely and doesn't get 'lost' in the post. The SA postal services restored some faith in me when all 4 padded envelopes that I sent from here reached their various SA destinations.
However, if you don't come right, let me know. I can always keep my ears open as regards reliable friends or family flying back to SA, who could possibly take one back for you. We won't be flying home ourselves this year, unfortunately...
Have you seen some of the uber-bling 24k gold-plated N70 front housing fascias on eBay? LOL.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE[....]eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
-Kitsune-
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-01-03 07:49
Good morning everyone! This is horrible, I'm back at work and I actually have to do work now! Dang registrations.

@amawanqa (From a different Topic)
Yep, Mugg and Bean in Vincent Park, I think it's one of the only M&B's in SA that has free Internet. Strange to have something like that in EL of all places.
They really do make their coffee too strong though! It's more like poison than coffee!
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2007-01-03 08:11
Ye im not a real fan of the N73 but its one of the better Nokias on the market atm.

Ps I asked that question because voda branded N73 dont have the UMTS only option.
francoislr
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-03 08:41
@ Tokoloshe, www.hellopeter.co.za is your friend when you get dung service...I have had Vodacom turn dung into gold for me after complaining via Hellopeter...

@ wanqa, i am also on the S60v3 mission for my friend: apps and games. It is not an easy mission. If you have any success, please let me know. I will do likewise.

So guess what I found shared on our network today? Monty Python And Now For Something Completely Different...for those who don't know, it was the first Python flick...Nice! The only one I have not officially seen, but I think I have probably seen all the skits in the movie.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2007-01-03 09:38
@ KBR,
I presumed it was a way to check for network branding, as you may recall that I had to flash my Nokia 7600 (ages ago, possibly still under my old username) completely to get rid of all the '3' network branding and 'hidden menus' caused by their infamous 'walled garden' firmware restrictions. Once this was done, I was able to access the other network options.

I'd be keen to obviously check out the N95, like possibly most of us, when it is made available in a few months' time (hopefully), but there's no real rush, particularly for me now.
Ideally I want to revert back to UIQ3 as soon as one of the rumoured new smartphones proves to be a better option than what the current P990i does. A decent 3+ meg cam in a UIQ3 M600i size package would do nicely...
Should be an exciting year for handsets...

@ Francois,
Thanks swaer, I'll soon be hunting down all manner of S60v3 applications (as time allows), and I'll certainly let you know when I find stuff.
francoislr
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-03 10:13
@ wanqa, Kryptik has given me the following link:
www.dotsis.com
I have been highly successful in finding games that will work on the N80, and there are just as many N73 apps....the difference seems a little edit in the jar file.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=8498745#post8498745
There does not seem to be many .sis games, but there are .sis apps, have not really gone into that. Will a bit later...

@ Kryptik, thanks boet, thal link is really killer...I am mowing through some threads now and downloading like crazy...got nothing better to do here at work, so might as well find games and apps for the boss..
medusa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-01-03 10:15
@ Tokoloshe: Thanks, It's what I've been working towards the past couple of months, and my new boss likes my work, and she wanted me, so I'm going!!! Spoke to my current boss and she supports my move, so there's no hard feelings in case I ever want to move back to my current department (doubt I would ever move back anyway)

Will tell the family you say hi. They leaving tomorrow.

And yeah, I saved alot of money on my car, my original plan was to sell it at retail and make some bucks, but I don't know if I can part with it anymore, (kinda got used to the luxury of it). I'll probably hold onto it a while longer before I sell it.

Over and out!
francoislr
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-03 11:14
Okay guys, a chap at work asked me for help on his P800. He is looking for applications, games, anything that works. Will go looking, but any links will help. Will see if dotsis has stuff, since i have found a crapload of stuff that will even work on my phone.
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-03 12:23
@francois: Yep, dotsis has a UIQ section.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 610611612 ... 181018111812  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic