Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Author South African mobile discussion
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 18:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Dup

Thats a worry of mine to to be honest, my X10 has been faultless in terms of reception even out did the Nokia N8 i had late last year, at that time we had a lot of big thunder storms almost daily in the afternoon (you know Jhb weather in November) and Vodacom had been badly affected and the X10 still managed to keep 2-3bars and a stable internet connection while the N8 could barely keep one bar.

I tweeted to Vodacom about the Galaxy Nexus, they then called me and i also asked about Sensation XE, at this point the XE may only be here in mid Q1 2012, they arent sure about Galaxy Nexus, so im thinking to myself now must i just get a Samsung Galaxy SII? HTC arent even sure if they will update their phones to ICS yet. My ONLY dislike in the GSII is the low PPI display,but man that thing even keeps up or beats the Galaxy Nexus in some benchmarks, SAMSUNG have built a machine, the Sensation is totaly left in the dust even by the LG Optimus 2X, i think GSII will be the one at this point, the more i read and hear about HTC the more i get discouraged, ah well lets see whats here in December.

This reminds me of my dilemma last year between X10, Desire, and N8 in the end i made the right decision it seems as HTC had major drama with Desire 2.3 update and the N8s OS is now trying to be Android but without the apps and hardware lol, i think SAMSUNG are a very safe bet especialy with their hardware, just look at the original Galaxy S STILL getting updates and its GPU is still being used in the new dual-cores.
[ This Message was edited by: Tsepz_GP on 2011-10-21 18:02 ]
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 20:29
Thats the only con about taking the early upgrade Tsepz.I would take your mothers upgrade but wait a while (latest Feb/March,still a couple months before your upgrade and closer to mine ) until one of your first choices become available.You can't go wrong getting the Samsung Galaxy S II.It is a killer phone but is it what you really want? (I would most probably settle with it as well if I was in your situation).Come Feb/March the Sensation might become available and news of the Nexus Prime might be a bit clearer.(or might be available).
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-21 23:14
Thanks Hobbs, yeah think you're right, maybe wait a bit, thing is what gets me is that i just dont know if the HTC is worth the wait, they arent even sure if they'll update their phones to ICS and its hardware is lagging behind, on the other hand Galaxy SII can match the Galaxy Nexus so im beginning to think waiting wont bring any major benefits as well ,as in many aspects GSII is better than the Galaxy Nexus, going to wait for some reviews between the two, lol, ive a whole 3 damn months of holiday from next week wednesday, i need a new toy

The ONLY thing that holds me back from a GSII is the PPI of its display, THATS IT, lol, i'll just have to get over it, no phone will be good in EVERYTHING, e.g. Galaxy Nexus uses the old AMOLED tech, its camera is nothing to write home about and its GPU is less powerful than the GSIIs, and it doesnt look as good as a GSII...okay ive made up my mind, GSII it is

Wanqs

Have you updated your 5800? FW V60.0.003 is out, i updated my 5800 and it now has the new Symbian Anna web browser which is quite fast, and finaly has tabbed web browsing although limited to 3 tabs oddly. Phone feels faster and kinetic scrolling has been made A LOT smoother, its a tiny 7mb update in the SW Update app, but the changes are great.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2011-10-22 01:16
Yup, planning to do the update over the weekend, Tsepz.

I'm thinking of getting another phone soon though; the 5800's cam's limitations are frustrating me.. Anyway, I managed to get an OK-ish shot of this Hughes AH-64 Longbow Apache, which took off in front of me last Sunday. You can check out all the grass etc flying around with all that downdraft from the rotors, and it blew a gazebo away too :

[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2011-10-22 00:18 ]
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-22 07:00
Cool pic Wangs.But you right.Your P1i kicks the 5800's pics in the nuts.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 13:10
So EnZed are indeed world champs; only just... a lot of 'ifs', but that's all academic now. Wow, the French played a better game on the day IMHO. Credit to the All Black defence though.
Well Done, NZ.
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 14:45

On 2011-10-23 13:10:46, amawanqa wrote:
So EnZed are indeed world champs; only just... a lot of 'ifs', but that's all academic now. Wow, the French played a better game on the day IMHO. Credit to the All Black defence though.
Well Done, NZ.

... and you and I lost an opportunity to make money by betting on our pick to win the cup.

I have to hand it to the French, they fought gallantly. It was a close encounter.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 15:18
Treat yourself to a Xperia Arc S Wanqs, gorgeous with a great camera!
Thats a sweet pic, must've been a little scary standing so close to that heli as it took off

Yah, well done to NZ for winning the RWC11, they've had a great run and deserved it, although France gave them a good run for their money today i was still sure NZ was going to take it it just couldnt go anywhere else after Oz and SA were kicked out. Richie McCaw finaly got to hold that cup, very happy for him, he looked like he wanted to cry at some point, quite a moment for him.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 16:57
Good news, at least for me, Moto SA confirmed that the Razr is heading this way around December/January and I can't wait!

I am even going to ignore the fact that it has the terrible Motoblur and get it on my upgrade next year.

The other good news is it has the same TI OMAP 4660 and you know, Tsepz_GP, how I like that compared to Qualcomm.

My upgrade can't come soon enough, I am itching to get that baby.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 19:16
Thats excellent news Dups, hey if its here in that time i could join you there especialy since MOTO and Google are one/going to be one.
Thats a better chip than the Galaxy Nexus if im not mistaken? Qualcomm chips are rubbish for media they seem to be only good for their RF technology, and these new TI OMAPs come with a special video/image processor separate from the GPU, that RAZR is going to be amazing.
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 19:25
Thats fantastic news Dups.December/January is just around the corner.I'm very jealous.

Great final.Could have been anyones game right down to that last whistle.Well done NZ.

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-23 20:39
@Tsepz_GP

No, the Nexus has the same processor as the Razr. The only other issue with the Razr is the locked bootloader, I just don't understand why Moto are so stubborn in that regard. They did promise unlocked bootloaders but they seem reluctant to do it. It's funny how nothing seems to sway me from the Razr, even with some restrictions/disadvantages from Moto I'm still in love with this phone.

@Hobbs

Don't worry, your Note is not too far off, soon you'll be having the biggest screen on a phone. Please post a picture of yourself using it as a phone

That'll sure look interesting considering the gigantic size of that phone.
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-10-24 02:04
Dups

Your wish for an unlocked bootloader has been granted: www.phonearena.com/news/Motor[....]loader-unlock-solution_id23190 yep that RAZR is looking mighty fine right now.

the Sensation XE keeps drawing me in with its looks and metal removable unibody, and those Beats by Dre, wow, just read its Engadget review and i cant stop looking at the thing lol.
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2011-10-24 06:00
Wow!

Thanks Tsepz_GP. Things just get better and better.

Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-10-24 07:48
Dups Its sure going to be a sight holding a telephone booth up to my ear.
Nice news though about your bootloader.

Tsepz Our history (X10 over Desire) says design is very high up on our list when choosing a phone.At the time we should have gone for the Desire but we got the X10 just because it looks so damn hot compared to the Desire.We made the right choice though.No regrets from my side.With Gingerbread (even stock SE) it is a solid unit.Not getting the ICS update doesnt disappoint me in the least.This phone is happy eating Gingerbread.

Wangs Any idea what phone will replace your 5800?
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic