Esato

Forum > Regional > Europe, Middle East and Africa > South African mobile discussion

Author South African mobile discussion
jmash
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-06-01 19:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@Wanqa I see you've mastered the p1 camera bro.Every pic you take with that phone looks really good.Howz everybody doing in Wanqadom?As for me I'm loving my X10.
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-02 06:41
Glad to hear Jmash.Its a mighty fine phone with Gingerbread on the way hopefully at end of this month.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2011-06-04 00:31
Howzit jmash.
Thanks boet; the P1i still as reliable as ever. Life in Wanqadom is good but hectic; 8 weeks of manic work before we close for the Summer Holidays and then it's a month in Souf Efrika again! Spending 3 weeks in East London and surrounding areas and 1 week with friends in Jozi. Can't wait.

Just got back from the Isle of Man, where the annual TT races are happening at the mo. What a jol.

Some P1i pics and Nokia 5800 pics taken there:

Nokia 5800 pics taken at Douglas's airport:

Flying first aid behind the start-finish:

b&w P1i pic:

Taken at Douglas's airport as well, the distinctive Manx Loaghtan goat model, based on the indigenous 4-horned goats (also on Slipknot's second album cover, called Iowa) found on the Isle of Man, resembled in the other famous Isle of Man symbol..the TT races:

[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2011-06-03 23:37 ]
He who laughs last... thinks slowest.
Nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i, Nokia 7600.
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2011-06-05 13:54
Yeah jmash, for what that 3.2mp cam is, the P1i is still taking bril macro pics. Taken yesterday in the back garden, a stag beetle close up:

Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-06-09 22:08
Hobbs
Im undecided, luckily im not the only one who uses the tab, my mother uses it a lot for news,ebooks and here GMail -Contacts, Calender and Mail. I just use it for browsing and games otherwise i simply prefer my X10, dont get me wrong the Tab is awesome but when it comes to ergonomics and the ease of use i prefer my X10, being able to do everything one handed on a light weight device. After a few hours of use it gets a bit much to hold and use. Great device, but i prefer my X10 for most things.
This time next year is going to be awesome for us trying to choose which dual or quad-core to get, cant wait for Ice Cream Sandwich to be demoed later this year so we know what we're in for.

Jmash
Thats great to hear, loving my X10 to, and strangely not that interested many of the dual-cores around, except for Galaxy S II due to its specs but what a bland design.

Wanqs
Some awesome pics there! Between the 5800 and P1 which do you prefer for pic taking? That P1 seems to be better, its pics looks a lot more natural.
Phone: iPhone 15 Pro Max Black Ti 512GB
Tablet: iPad Pro 11” 2020 Space Gray 256GB
Watch: Series 3 Nike Edition Space Gray
Droid: Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-10 08:09
@Tsepz August I'm gonna have some spare cash to blow on a tablet but I'm also undecided if I actually want one.Was gobsmacked to see on MyBroadband that the iPad 2 is the cheapest tab of the lot here in South Africa.R5200.Couldn't believe my eyes.Will see closer to the time but I'm thinking don't get one.Any of the tablets.But if I do its iPad2 vs Samsung (the one you have) and the Blackberry Playbook release in July by Vodacom.Haven't heard any news of the Motorola Zoom in SA.For R5200 I think I'll choose that iPad2.The Sammie tab is R7000+.
By the way this CM7.0.3 is well worth trying.Been using it for a good couple of days now without one problem.Its as smooth as hell.Takes the edge off waiting and also realizing that what you waiting for isn't that much of a change from Froyo.I expected more but I'm not complaining at all.My battery life is unnervingly brilliant,and its faster than Froyo.I'm loving it.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-06-15 12:16
Wow! So glad i didnt get the Desire now: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_d[....]d_to_gingerbread-news-2779.php didnt see that one coming at all.

Hobbs
Yep, for once the Apple device is the most reasonably priced
What i dont like about the iPad is that it has no widgets nor Flash in the web browser whilest on the Honeycomb tablets we have scrollable widgets and latest Flash Player, which makes them great for web browsing, watched Engadgets HTC Sensation review on the tab thanks to flash.

Think im going to wait for the official gingerbread, its (apparently) just 5days away, according to some at XDA, SE finished making it and are now preparing the kits for rollout. so much of excitement!
doellied2
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2011-06-15 12:52
That sounds great man rock on.
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-15 22:09
That is fantastic news indeed Tsepz.I cant wait to be rid of this stock 2.1.It sucks balls. Tick Tock! Cant wait.Woohoo! Gingerbread till June 2012.Who would have thought.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-16 08:43
Hope everyone has a good day off work today.Im unfortunitely working but thats ok,last month we had enough days off.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
jmash
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2011-06-16 13:46
Cool that Gingerbread is coming sooner than I expected,but I read somewhere that we ar gonna loose some features that we have on 2.1.Think I'm gona wait a while before I update,just to see.Hey Hoobs shame you working man,me I'm just chilling listeningto some cool tunes.Howz errbody else doing?
Tsepz_GP
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2011-06-16 14:24
Yep Jmash, its not major features though, apparently we are going to lose the current X10 Camera UI and get the stock Android Camera UI, personaly i realy like the stock one anyway as its cleaner and fast. Other features to be lost are Moxier and the SE BackUp app, but i mean we gain Flash Player, faster JavaScript engine, newer Webkit engine, loads of security fixes, better power management, better app management, faster UI, new APIs, and other UI and under the hood refinements, so we gain much more than we lose.

Ive been off uni since late May lol, but have taken the holis easy until tomorrow this next half is going to be wild before i go back to uni going to get a holi job next time, such lazyness is not good, almost lost my mind.

Happy Youth Day everyone
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-18 08:20
Jmash As long as the Gingerbread update is smooth and fast Im happy.This SE 2.1 stock rom isnt very pleasant to use after using the Froyo custom and the Gingerbread custom roms.But one thing for sure is its nice having full functionlity in the camera and video department.Cmon Gingerbread.Be a speedy beast so I dont have to visit XDA again.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
amawanqa
Nokia 7600
PM
Posted: 2011-06-19 02:29
Thanks Tsepz.Ya the P1i rules with most macro shots, out of the 2 smartphones. The 5800 is OK under certain conditions, but has a tendency to very 'noisy' with bright colour elements, often over-saturating. You can really fiddle with the light settings on the P1i prior to taking a shot, and that makes a fair difference too.

Guys, I've had to keep this quiet until after the event, as it is a public forum and we were given some clear guidelines with this.. I am a regional rep for a biker charity called the Royal British Legion Riders Branch, and on Friday I was invited to meet Prince Charles in person, at Clarence House, along the famous red road called The Mall which is right by Buckingham Palace! He shook hands with me and he chatted about his sons' love for bikes, I told him that I was originally from East London SA, etc. Gee, he was really quite animated and open, not the 'stiff upper lip' at all. It was quite funny seeing myself and the other RBLR regional reps in our biking gear meeting Royalty, all dressed in our biker clothing and having these waiters and waitresses serving us stuff the whole time (ya, I tried to not be too much of a vraat with all that free chow n' larnie stuff, LOL)!
Yeah, I was on my absolute best behaviour, especially with some of the Royalty Protection SO14 squad amongst us as well.. LOL.
The TV crews were there, Camilla was faffing about there as well, and The Prince of Wales made the effort to chat with each one of us. You call him 'Your Royal Highness' when he first shakes hands with you and then it's just 'sir' after that. We were of course given a brief briefing about protocol and etiquette before we went from parking the bikes around the garden area and venturing into Clarence House itself.
It was an unforgettable day alright; here's a 5800 pic of Saturday's front page about the event (Charlie's Angels, LMAO!!! ).

Short Youtube news video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SJV_bmoEr8

On yahoo news:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos[....]81ae1ad54433baecc6cb886606c37/

Of course, once we were inside, strictly no pics allowed, except by the appointed photographer. There should be a good few pics of us chatting. Once the photographer has put the pics online, I'll post a few on here. I should've had a piece of card in my other hand with 'Esato SAMD' on it, but I didn't want to raise too many unnecessary questions about what it may mean etc at such a one-off meeting, LOL
[ This Message was edited by: amawanqa on 2011-06-19 01:48 ]
Hobbs
Samsung Galaxy Note II
PM
Posted: 2011-06-19 06:58
Splendid ol' Wanga chap.Must have been very cool hanging with the Prince
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3
Huawei Mate 40 Pro 256GB
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic