Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > S700i Sound problems receiving and making calls.

Previous  12
Author S700i Sound problems receiving and making calls.
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-22 12:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2004-11-22 11:16:43, Gooner Girl wrote:
I'm so glad I found this forum. I got my S700 on Friday and have had a weekend of people complaining that they can't hear me. I love the phone so far so was devastated at the prospect that this phone and I weren't compatible. A replacement is on it's way to me now and I feel much better knowing it's the phone's fault and not mine!

Welcome to ESATO. Good to hear that the site has been of help to a new user.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Gooner Girl
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-11-26 14:01
Got my new phone yesterday and it has the same mic problem, as well as the strange switching off behaviour.

Back to the T630.......
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2004-11-26 19:43
If you have problem with people not being able to hear you it maby because you are rubbing your cheek against the microphone (the little hole next to the Dpad, right above the 'c' button). This seem to be a common phenomena on S700 until people get used to how to hold the phone to keep the mic free.

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2004-11-26 18:44 ]
normansdog
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-29 15:57
@mrmusic

I just got a replacement phone with a new Firmware (new screen format...don't know which F/W version as I haven't had a chance to look) and the microphone problem is still there. This link will interest anyone who has this problem (see the paragraph half way down the page):

http://www.mobique.com/sonyericsson/s700i/page6.php

The analysis is right on the money and so I suppose you have to simply decide whether the irritations caused by the design compromises are offset by the lovely design/screenand snazzy features. In our household the jury is still out.

N.Dog
zillionaire
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-30 20:57
a lot of poeple complained that they couldnt hear me too, or i sounded far! the strange thing is that this problem is listed among the problems that the s700 users may face in the SE web site!!!!
freestyle
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-12-01 09:32
Quote:

On 2004-11-29 15:57:30, normansdog wrote:
@mrmusic

I just got a replacement phone with a new Firmware (new screen format...don't know which F/W version as I haven't had a chance to look)

Do you mean you've got an unbranded phone? Don't get what you mean by new screen format.
normansdog
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-12-01 15:17
The phone is unbranded (as was my first s700i which it replaces), although subsidised as I had to take a 2 year service contract with the phone (it cost 399 Euros if anyone is interested). I live in Germany and have a contract with T-Online, although I could have chosen any other provider such as O2. This phone starts up into a start screen with a light grey-ish background which wasn't the case before. I now press the select buton to go to the icon screen with the messaging,conncetivity,entertainment...icons.
A few of the menus appear to have changed as well, but I am not absolutely sure about this.

N.Dog
freestyle
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-12-02 09:18
Are you sure it isnt just a different theme selected?
Gooner Girl
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-12-02 15:16
I just read the review that normansdog posted (thanks!) and it does appear that it is a design rather that a manufacturing fault. I tried to live with it but the hassle of trying to find a position for the phone that didn't cause endless rustling at the other end was too much and I gave up.

Have now switched to the Motorola V3 which is a cool phone, just not as cool as the S700. Will still be keeping the T630 as this is without a doubt the best phone that I've ever had (and I've had a few!).

Really disappointed as I loved the S700 and was so looking forward to owning it.

Lastly, if anyone in the UK is thinking of getting the S700 please don't let cheapness sway you into buying a Vodafone branded one. My first one wasn't, my second was was and the level of horridness that was the Vodafone one beggared belief. In short anything that is good about the phone, Vodafone remove. Complete lunacy but there you go. It;s such a beautiful phone, don't let the beggars ruin yours.

Right, lecture over, back to the topic in hand!
Quicknick
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-12-02 18:57
Well I'm dead chuffed I bought my S700. Firstly I had the muffled mic. experience, then the 'insert memory stick or save to phone' malarky and now for any calls or messages, it will only cope with displaying one name. If I have 2 messages in any folder, 1 each from different people that are named and saved in my contacts list, it will only display the name of the last one that was saved - the other just displays the number - it's dead frustrating..
normansdog
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-12-06 09:40
You were right! its just a new "Theme" not a new firmware version at all. (silly me)
N.Dog
mrmusic
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-12-14 14:23
@normansdog

Thanks for the link to the review you posted, it was very helpful.

I've had the phone for a bit now and I've got to say I'm pretty disappointed in it. Can't quite put my finger on what it is but I prefer my T610 by a long way. The camera is ok for day pics but weak for night/dark shots. Video is ok but small screen...why?. Call making...The rustling sound if you hold the phone in the wrong position is annoying there's other things thins that I'm not going to go into but.....

In fact I've already dissuaded a friend from buying it and pointed him towards the K700i..lesser camera but less hassle all round.

Beginning to wish I'd waited for the Nokia 3230......

rcasas
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-12-14 15:56
Hi guys,

I'm from Asia and I've been using my S700 quite heavily for more than 2 months now. I've "tweaked" it to my preference: set it up to sync with my computer to back up my phonebook, loaded it with pictures for wallpaper and for my contacts, loaded it with a 128 mb card and more than 40 mp3 songs, am able to browse the net thru wap and gprs, am able to download and send basic email, have been able to download games and apps from Sony Ericsson, have paired it successfuly with my Jabra BT250. I text a lot, I call a lot, I use the speaker phone a lot and so far (Thank God!) I have had none of the problems you have mentioned. I'm very happy with this phone. Isn't it possible that this is just a very bad case of a very bad batch of phones shipped to your part of the world?

Rob
Gooner Girl
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-12-16 17:04
I hope that is the case because I've still got my eye on the S700 and might buy one when the price comes down in a while. I had my heart set on it but had so many bad experiences that I lost the will to try again.

I will wait and watch this forum!
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-16 17:21
I use my S700i everday and havent had a single complaint about sounding muffled. It is the best phone that I have evr used and wouldnt get rid of it for anything at the moment. The only problem that I have ever encountered is that the phone will reset when viewing certain wap sites, but most are fine.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi