Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson J200 and T290 discussion

Author Sony Ericsson J200 and T290 discussion
T-mobile
P1
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 04:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I read so many articles about places that camera phones are not allowed. Also there are a LOT of people that all the need is a decent phont to use it.....as a phone. Yes not everybody on this planet have UIQ phone, or use the bluetooth etc etc etc. A phone has to be phone first and then all other aditional features could make it an advanced phone or a smart phone or whatever.

Most people here in Esato propably wouldn't be satisfied with these two phones. But the majority out there will be very happy.
People just stop bitching about "low end phones" or whatever.
PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT NEEDS, SO WE NEED DIFFERENT PHONES!
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 12:35
Hv u seen Pimp MY Ride... look wat happens to 'Low end cars' they pimp it up and welcome to the modern world.... i dont think 'low end phones' is related to peoples needs... its more related to people who cant afford expensive phones... not needs... if S700 were to be cheap... its considered to be 'low end phones' coz 'low end phones' = cheap phones for people who cant afford expensive ones... tats the theory behind 'low end phones' that is wat i think... what do u think?
DeLa
T600
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 12:47
I wouldn't say that people choose low-end phones because they can not afford high-end phones. I don't think there are that many people that have less than 400 euro. It is a matter of what you *want* your money to spend on. Most people that buy a low end phone do not want to spend say 100 euro or more on features. They have other needs in life they value.
It is a priorities issue.

(That's why people buy e.g. a Samsung E700: they do not want to spend money on Bluetooth or a MP3 ringtones or whatever else the E700 does not have but they value design, looks, status, size, etc.)

After a while people might find other features interesting, so their priorities change, and they might be prepared to spend more on a phone that answers those new demands. That's the whole idea of entry-level devices: gives you the basic functionality and when you are used to that you will have a better idea of what you really want and then make a better choice.

And all in all the two new models have a lot of features, at least if you include polyphonic ringtones, a 'trusted brand', design, standing out somewhat, a colour screen however basic it is and all that as features.
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 13:42
i think SE design department is now worse than Nokia. the 2 new phones presented looks like clone of K700. Looks like the design team just sit on their backends without doing any work.
DeLa
T600
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 14:17
I disagree.

The J200 looks more like an integration of the T600, the T230, the K500 and the T100. The T290 is a lsightly changed T230.

I don't see the similarities with K700.
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-26 17:59
Quote:

On 2004-10-25 23:17:54, 02 wrote:
@Vlammetje
Anyways who says 'low end phones' doesnt need a camera...??? Does it state anyway?? maybe ur failing to see wat really meant by 'low end phones.' Now days 'low end phones' cud be considered phones without external memory... phones tat doesnt hv coloured screens... or phones with mono ringtones... so wat is 'low end phones' right now... tat is question....

It's not 'what is a low end phone' that is the question dude. It's 'what do customers want?' that is THE driving question. In this case customers for low end phones. And perhaps you are unaware of it, but there is a massive group of customers out there, that don't want a camera on their phone, that don't want 5Gig memory, MP3 ringtones and what not. needs to cater for the needs of this group as well, if they are ever going to establish a name for themselves on all segments. THAT is hwta these 2 phones are about.

Quote:

On 2004-10-26 13:42:56, mib1800 wrote:
the 2 new phones presented looks like clone of K700.

I'm with DeLa on this, i too do not see the similarities. thene agian a brand, any brand, would do wise to develop a sort of recognisable 'house style' imho.... so I wouldn't mind if all phones had something 'undistinguishably ' about them...... but they are not clones, not by a long shot.
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-26 18:08
@vlamm

well, it was the shape of the speaker hole at the top. it used to be
on the t68i, p800, t200 etc.

[ ]

(but curvy)

and then a thin oval is the new style. I think.

But there is always the word "sony ericsson". that hasnt changed!

[ This Message was edited by: vanquish on 2004-10-26 17:09 ]
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 18:27
Agree with Vlam, and it never ceases to amaze me that it's always the people that know the least that say it the loudest...(O2)

Of course there is a market for non-camera phones, in fact it is becoming a legal and security issue, to such an extent that many companies particularly, request handset WITHOUT cameras when purchasing mobiles, and in many workplaces cameras (of ALL kinds) are now outlawed.

Yes, these are low-end phones, low-end being distinguishable by something that is, in this case, low in both price and feature set.
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-26 18:41
but if they are low end phones, then they wont be priced high.

so dont worry!

not everyone wants a camera phone. my friends at school either dont, and if they do use them to take pics of mates and ppl they are seeing or when they are drunk (i love smirnoff ).

in fact, there are not many young ppl that use the camera phones for proppa pics, they are just little snaps of mates and stuff.

so there is a whole in the market - why do you think the t230 is still being sold? because people are buying them!

so i agree with vlamm and dave. [addsig]
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 18:44
any ideas of pricing on these phones yet we are all talking about low end cause of the feature but do we know what they will retail at. i seem to remember se last low end phone the z200 was rather pricey when it can out. i hope they dont do the same with these ones
ash25_nofear
T630
PM
Posted: 2004-10-26 19:31
Guyz, where s it given j200 has 12 mb memory? it is just around 600kb from the website.
bart
Ericsson T68
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-26 19:50
T290 starts @ 130euro
J200 starts @ 160euro

J200 won't drop that fast.
With Ericsson and Nokia gone: we must keep their spirits alive and buy JOLLA or YOTA
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-27 00:17
Quote:

On 2004-10-26 18:27:53, dave_uk wrote:
Agree with Vlam, and it never ceases to amaze me that it's always the people that know the least that say it the loudest...(O2)

So u saying you know better?? u sounded like a girl saying tat... (dave_uk) stop accusing people, and lets dicuss, tis is a forum aint it..
shame on you.... we're SE users, support each other man...

Back to the topic... as i was being mistreated by one of our fellow...
I know wat u guyz are saying... 'low end phones' is base on peoples needs.... i know tat.. but give it a tot... both phone has the same low price.... which phone would u buy?? S700 or J200/T290??

I know S700 does not come cheap... but this is a senario... I can bet 90% people wud go for S700... regardless... if their needs is not to hv a camera, mp3, bluetooth etc etc.... So, the question arise, does it really the needs?? or is it a cheap phone n people buy it??
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-27 00:25
O2, I personally feel it is quite pointless to discuss possible needs of other people. but why don't you go and ask the 50 yo lady next door, your mother and your high school teacher this question and see what phoen they pick.

We can say it a million times but you're obviously not hearing it: there is a market for low-features-phones

They may not be people you know. They may not be part of your little wordl but they're out there. And has made a phone for them. Now why can't we leave it at that and move on...... this thread is about phones... not about the people who might buy them and it is certainly not your perosnla little playground to challenge the world to prove that there is even a market for these phones.

I can point out ten people right now that would prefer either one of these over the S700. You probably can't. So what?

Give it a rest.

K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-27 00:42
Quote:

On 2004-10-27 00:25:24, Vlammetje wrote:

I can point out ten people right now that would prefer either one of these over the S700. You probably can't. So what?

This is really getting interesting.... yes that 10 people tat u can point is the 10%.... whereas i can too point out more then 10 people who wud go for the S700.. and i did not say there wasnt any low feature phones.... so mind u. Obviously i did not start baut dicussing about peoples needs... theres no need to dicuss baut it... but som1 started it... so Vlam.. i hv to agree, i think we hv to leave it to rest.. coz u fail to see.. that people hv different point of view of certain things...

peace be upon you man....
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic