Previous  1234  Next
Author 3G networks - my review/views
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-21 21:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@mmsman

With the LG8110/20 already released and the LG8150 and the SE V800 about to be released, I don't think many people would choose the Z1010 here.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 00:40
@mmsman - thanks for your input! It would be good to also get info/feedback from other countries on their 3G networks, signal, services, etc.

Had a quick look on Orange, Vodafone, T-Mobile and O2's websites today to see what they had to say about 3G.

Orange said they had 66% 3G coverage, and were on the verge of launching their handsets (@wapchimp - can you confirm?) - but their coverage map said that I wasn't in their current or projected 3G area yet Vodafone seemed to be at a similar point, and said their 3G was mainly in cities and larger towns, but their coverage map had my area just about covered. T-mobile seemed to be a bit behind, only offering data services, and their coverage seemed even more limited. For reference 3UK claim 70% coverage. All offered 2G backup for if there's no 3G coverage.

However, O2 didn't even mention 3G! Are they going to be doing it, or are they just rather behind the other big networks?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 01:23
@Sammy_boy

O2 bought a 3G liscense so I presume they will be launching a 3G service at some point.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-22 01:24
@sammy

O2 have declared that they do not believe now is the right time to enter the market, stating (in line with a widely-held view) that Xmas 2005 will be the time that 3G really takes off, and clearly preferring to develop their network and services to provide a higher quality service at launch. Of course that could be all talk, becasue they're not ready yet, though they have launched 3G datacards as well. They have left the window open, though, and refused to rule it out, presumably in case it does go down better than expected for the Voda and Orange in December.

Personally, I think "3" are a mess - there is credit to be given and allowances to be made for being the first entrant into the market and the only one with no existing market presence, but I have been distinctly unimpressed by their customer service (and have plenty of customers in the same boat, even by comparison to the generally low standards within the industry). I find it hard to believe that the other networks, with a wealth of experience as to what the market really wants/needs, will not do a much better job in all aspects, and I do not expect 3 to last another 2 years!

I would probably hold off adoption for a few months, both to see what is offered by all the 3G licence-holders, and also to wait for the services to become more useful and better tailored to the real requirements of the masses (locked down internet access being the most obvious example of how to waste the main benefits of a new technology!)

Just my two cents...

[ This Message was edited by: dave_uk on 2004-10-22 01:15 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 01:50
@dave_uk

I would agree with you in saying that it would be better to wait a little before taking out a 3G contract.

I think 3 are getting better and we might still see them become truely great. However, they do have a lot of problems to over come if they want to be considered in the same league as the four main networks.
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-22 02:16
well, they're still here a year and a half on from launch, and they have improved, have to give them that.

Should be an interesting time - next 12-18 months is really make or break for 3G!
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 02:30
@dave_uk

I don't think it will be make or break for 3G, just 'make. The networks have invested too much money in 3G to let it be a failure, they will gradually phase 2.5G out, just like they did with analogue.

The main problems 3 have are customer services and the restriction on internet access, in my opinion anyway.

The other networks have had the luxury of a year to observe 3 and hopefully learn from its mistakes.
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-22 02:39
I just think that it is still too early to gauge either the large-scale demand for the technology, but more importantly, whether or not the networks will provide the right services to maximise both 3G's potential and their own revenue streams. Also £22bn spent on licences means, as well as having a lot at stake, anymore invested in subsidising handsets to secure market share or ridiculous airtime offers (just like 3) just exacerbates the risk of never making it back. I just wonder how far they will persevere, if subscriber numbers do not rise an awful lot faster than 3's have thus far. Orange and O2 certainly are not in financial positions to invest even more heavily in a high-risk strategy until demand is more proven.
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 03:02
@dave_uk

I would broadly agree with you, but I would take an optimistic view of 3G's future. Demand will almost certainly increase, but it will be slow; best demonstarted by 3. The main feature of 3G is video calling, but that only works if you know someone with a 3G video phone, hence there is little incentive for customers to want to adopt this technology if they don't know many, or indeed any, people with a 3G video phone. I see 3's pricing strategy as having this very problem in mind, by attarcting customers with great price plans they make sure that those customers have a 3G handset capable of video calls. As more and more people join 3 for the price plans they inadvertantly expand the pool of people capable of making video calls, as their friends join up too they will perhaps start using this feature, prompting their other friends to join too.

The main networks have several advantage sover 3, not the least, of which are established transmitter systems and infrastructure. I don't think we shall see a great 3G explosion to begin with, but certainly there will be expansion. 2005 would appear to be the time when 3G will be able to really take off, with the possibility of five 3G networks in the UK by then there will be significant impetus for customers to adopt 3G. Data will play a large part in this adoption, in my opinion, probably much more so than video calls will.
vladichelsea
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-10-22 06:02
anybody surprised by the unusual amount of advertising 3 is making at the moment? this week in just about every mag or newspaper there are loads of their ads. october is possible the last month they are the one and only 3G provider here so they want to make a good use of it.

btw last couple of weeks i got some problems with my 3G simcard so i needed to call customer services at 3: waiting time to get connected to the operator are outrageous, every time i had to wait more than 15mins.
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 07:31
@vladi - it's coming up to Christmas, I bet they're ramping up their advertiseing to try and get people to buy 3 phones for xmas presents!

Sounds like I'm best waiting a little while before taking a 3G contract out then. I've got till th middle of December anyway, hopfully people like Orange (who I've been thinking of switching back to anyway) will have bought out a 3G service. Would it be worthwhile (depending on price) taking out a 3G contract with them, but using it mainly as a 2G phone (I may not have a choice - doesn't seem to be any 3G coverage in my area by them anyway!) until their network expands, or just take out a standard contract for a year?

A couple of things I do like about 3 though - the weather reports you can download are brief but informative and very good, and I think the GPS-based 'quickmap' is great! Had a fiddle with it whilst at home, and it got my position bang on. I can see that being very useful - especially as my sense of direction is quite variable!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

vladichelsea
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-10-22 07:49
if i could, i would cancel my 3 contract and go back to orange, o2, whatewer. at least now the phones available for 2G are much better. everything can change though, after arrival of voda and orange 3G services...
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-22 14:28
@vlad

The range of 3G handsets is definitely getting better, hopefully the increase in competition will spur the manufacturers on in releasing smaller and better handsets.
vladichelsea
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-10-28 02:34
any idea when 3 is going to present some new phones for their network. the ony decent phone at the moment is theLG u8120. all the NECs and Motorolas are more than year old.
i just checked the phones Voda is going to have when they start their 3G, its pretty impressive (se, nokia, sharp, samsung, nec, moto).

[ This Message was edited by: vladichelsea on 2004-10-28 01:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: vladichelsea on 2004-10-28 01:44 ]
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-28 02:46
Not sure to be honest - but it would be nice to see them using the z1010 on 3!

I've encountered a few problems with my e616v since getting it - mainly minor (but annoying) niggles.

Firstly, since getting it it has rebooted itself twice whilst online, so it obviously stil has a few software issues to be ironed out!

Secondly, when I press the 3 button to get to the '3 Today' home page, the box that highlights whatever you want to click on has started to scroll down automatically all by itself at a uniform rate (so not a keypad problem?) - is this something that 3 has done (Very annoying if they have!) or another little software niggle, or is it just an option checkbox that needs de-selecting somewhere?

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi