Author SE S700 vs Samsung SGH- D500
TheRealSpawn
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 00:54
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

On 2005-01-12 16:17:23, JonnySax wrote:
well it a pity you live in Denmark, how unfair!!!
how do you define a better camera?
and how do you define better mp3?
you sound like a bloody child!!!!
grow up and get with the revolution!

Hey Morron

your abusive tone is completely uncalled for - I said absolutely nothing to piss you off.

Im a respected grown up - working inside the industry, knows about these things and helps out alot these communities in answering questions, creating themes, guides, videos etc. - and you pop up here with your meesly 6 posts and immediately feel the need to insult the veterans for no reason at all.

So tighten you diper - grow up yourself - lose the attitude and use another tone with me or shut it.

Better camera is defined as it has a better ccd chip, better lens, and generally takes better pictures if the photographer know anything about what hes doing - and use these manuel settings. D500 takes good pictures - sometimes even better than S700 in nonoptimum conditions when automatic mode is chosen on both cams - but anyone just slightly knowledgeable in photography will use manuel settings reflecting the conditions - and then the S700 wins every time. Pictures are sharper, more detailed and with better contrast.

Better mp3 - in the fact that:
1. S700 has memoryexpansion which allows for storing many more mp3's if one whish to do so. and
2. S700 can play mp3, minimize the player and do other things at the same time like typing sms etc. - the D500 cant do anything else while playing mp3.

Furthermore it has Radio - I hope I dont have to explain that any further.

It supports personalisation through theming - much used and loved by the users and something complete overlooked by samsung

It has better java implementation - supporting more games.

It has HID implentation also not found on Samsung - do you know what that is ?

It has a better more userfriendly UI

It has a better T9 implementation

Last but in no way least - it has a much bigger screen with a higher resolution - which apart from being absolutely wonderfull when personalising your phone through themes or playing games, also has the advantage of displaying more lines thus being able to view larger parts of websites when wapping or seeing more of incoming messages when reading them.

If you want to debate pros and cons of the 2 phones you are more than welcome to debate with me - but definately lose the abusive tone immediately.

Cost of the phones in Denmark right now are:
S700 - unbranded but simlocked 6 months and on contract - 300$ and 176$ in contractexpense totaling 476$. Can be unlocked for 15$
S700 - unbranded, non simlocked and no conctract 670$
D500 - unbranded, non simlocked and no conctract 608$

Any of these numbers makes the S700 a better deal.

But D500 is a nice phone and naturally anyone is allowed to feel its a better phone for them personally - I have no grief with that.

[ This Message was edited by: TheRealSpawn on 2005-01-13 00:30 ]
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 10:31
Quote:

Theres a data cable that Samsung made for the E700 and E800 to transfer pics etc. It also works with the D500.

Hmmm....interesting. I wonder why they don't advertise it as being compatible? oh well, good to know anyway.
JonnySax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 12:29
I think apart from crystal clear reception and state of the art functionality, style comes out as an important issue in the choice of a mobile phone. Also exclusivity must be considered, and as here in the UK (the premier country of course) the d500 is very exclusive, and I hope it stays that way and the kids all buy those odd looking SE units.

I would never encourage anyone to buy one device over any other, I only remarked initially that the d500 has good IRDA and is not crippled with respect to BT. Also all other features seem pretty comparable. So it really comes down to style doesnt it, and the d500 wins hands down, but as style is, at best, transient with regard to phones, I hope most people go for the SE option and that way I dont have to re-new the classy d500 for some time to come.

and, er, I am going for blue in the big new debate. Orange is just too girly!!

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-01-13 12:12 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 13:22
right, thats cleaned up this thread a bit now so lets continue this by allowing everyone to have their opinion or share their experience and give comments based on the topic at hand, NOT of each other

thanks
peanut
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 16:41
I got a D500 last week (I have a K700). I loved it as soon as I got it out of the box. It's solid, stylish, (hard to come by but I think they will become very common quickly as all Samsung have), and easy to use, great screen and quite good UI. I really wanted this to be my new phone. But...

...it's far too 'rough around the edges' for me for the following reasons:

1) Yes BT is much better than I imagined but a good third of my connections have dropped with a headset, other phones, PC and PDA

2) T9 - what's going on here? I've never had a phone that randomly dips in and out of t9 like this one did

3) Folders - forget it you can't create them. Not good when you start to build up a 'mobile album'.

4) Openwave WAP browser - a REAL reason not to buy this phone. I never got it to work on my Siemens 'pebble' years ago I haven't been able to get it to work properly on this either. Head to BBC wap and you may see what I mean. It refuses to show the graphics on O2, Orange and Voda.

5) Camera - how marvellous, the camera in this is fantastic. Apart from the exposure. Samsung have missed a trick here. It just never gets the middle ground to make a high contrast image look good.

6) Key noise - it sounds like a field of crickets. They could do with tuning the key travel a bit.

It had to go back. The dodgy wap browser, T9 and exposure just tipped the balance in favour of getting rid (oh and I made £60 profit so there you go).

Resolution? I really wanted a one meg camera for 'holiday must have pics' in the cafe at breakfast, wandering around, at a meal. All the places you might not really take your camera. In my job, at work even. So I've gone for the S700

Bulky, will take a while to get used to the rotating but my am I impressed. The camera is simply fantastic. A hell of a lot of work has gone into this model. It's my K700 only better, I strongly recommend that anyone looking for a new phone isn't swayed by the 'popular opinion' - dare I say in similar a similar way people are often swayed to buying a Nokia. The D500 IS going to be everywhere this phone is not and it's not because it's crap. SE were right to start this off at a high price.

Once was a time being an adult meant I could afford adult things. Then came along cheap 'teenagers' phones... Having this makes me feel like an adult again! And, it's getting looks and offers of touches in Sainsbury's.

That's more than I ever get!

whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 16:47
You almost wrote a review there! :-D

This message was posted from a T230

vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-13 17:37
hey peanut my man! you have the COOOOOOLEST name!

anyway, well done for the review. I really want a Samsung D500, and was unsure to whether it was worth the money. Seeing as it is the first Samsung phone with bluetooth, i thought that i may have a problem bluejacking (umm... ) but not as such. Although, it 'evidently' asks you to pair each time, which is a bummer.

It is also said to be the smallest megapixel phone around, but still, YET again, 1 megapixel is not justification for a ridiculous price! [addsig]
dave_uk
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-13 18:13
@peanut

Great post (intentional review or not). Has just clinched my decision NOT to buy the D500, though I don't think I can fit an S700 in the other pocket of the one carrying my P910i without looking like something out of the Wild West. Ah well...

See vanquish, the price of the S7 was justified by the quality of the handset *mixing spoon at the ready*
SE-Naz
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 14:09
Hey people just wanted to add sum of my findings...

I have the D500, S700i and the 6630.... in each of their owna ways the phones are good...

My view overall the S700i... bit large but you cvan get used to it... is the best phone out of the lot of them... screen quality is outstanding, sound is clear and the picture quality once you have played with the settings... there are a lot of settings you can have a good quality pic.

The 6630 screen quality is okk... never have liked the screen quality on the nokia phones. The cam is of good quality... there are not many settings available... no flash but a decent pic.

The D500... is a good size phone... the screen is lovely and the cam is good... but again not many settings like the S700i... The thing that annoys me the most is that you dont have to whole screen when in standby mode... the pics looked compressed when you have them as a background... no screensaver and no THEMES... i like THEMES a lot!!!

My overall winner is S700i... Its the best phone on the market for imaging!!!

People when you make comments make sure you have actually have seen the phones rather then make assumptions!!!

Hope this helps

ENJOY
66304u
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 17:02
Sadly. . The samsung bluetooth is a mess. . Its a nice phne for what it is. . As far as the comaparisons betwn the s700 and the 6630 go. . Its quite pointless. . When printed out, the nokias picture quality is sharper. . Even under zoom, the pixelization is quite shocking compared to the nokia. . As for the phnes in general. .You cant even begin to compare them. .

This message was posted from a Nokia

whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-01-30 17:06
@SE- NAZ, why don't you write a review dude? ;-)

This message was posted from a T230

sieg dante
Z600
PM
Posted: 2005-01-30 17:42
@SE-Naz
between s700 and d500,which phone's colour is better? and mp3 quality,which is better? i heard d500 mp3 quality is better than s700 even the song haven't put into sound mate..is it true?thanks..
kiwi_108
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-02-17 13:27
anyway... The S700i has gone down to £350 pounds here in the uk, so i think that i'll be getting one real soon

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-02-17 12:44 ]
Swedish_Chef
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2005-02-17 14:02
I think TheRealSpawn have some good points.. its an amasing nice phone
LivinLARGE
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-02-17 14:16
WOW - I've never seen a topic fill up with chat so quickly..
Albeit I'm still new here - adding posts myself anyways..

I've been a fan of SE for years - from my experience, it's been setting the trend for quite a few years now... Nokia and the rest just come up with something that better it a few months after an SE release.

The s700 (which I just bought yesterday ) is an awesome phone, I can't fault it in any way, bar it's size... but even that's liveable.

The stupid thing about my purchase, is that I went with Voda Live.. it's a branded phone.. now I'm looking for help debranding this bad boy - to unleash it's full glory (so to speak)... I've opened a topic asking for any help... if there's anyone out there who can - I'd appreciate it greatly
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi