Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > How to solve the Vodafone lockdown on using mp3’s as ring tones

123  Next
Author How to solve the Vodafone lockdown on using mp3’s as ring tones
LOCOM3
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 10:48
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
How to solve the Vodafone lockdown on using mp3’s as ring tones for the Sony Ericsson K700i (and others as well most probably). I have found out that there are at least two possibilities (three including unbranding) until Vodafone starts listen to the customer and remove the MP3 ring tone banning from our mobiles.

1. Converting the .MP3 to a .AMR audio file, which the K700i also can play as ring tones. The disadvantage is that you can only play 12.2 Kbps sound files (equals low quality). If you choose this solution I recommend that you register on the NOKIA developer forum at http://www.forum.nokia.com/main.html and download the file Nokia Multimedia Converter 2.0. You will need a register code as you install, which can be requested to your e-mail at the same location as you download. The program is very easy to use so I will not describe the process. Upload the converted file using IR, Bluetooth or cable.

2. Now to the Surprise! After some time of searching and testing I found out that you can play a MP3 if you attach DRM (Digital Rights Management) to them. The DRM wasn’t something new but the problem was to find the correct program to add the DRM with. Finally! Download the Drmpackager from http://developer.sonyericsson.com/. You will have to register here as well. Now you can apply DRM to a MP3 directly. Use the standard settings and load a MP3, press the Create DRM content and there you have it… A file named “Yourfilename.dm”. Upload this file instead of the MP3 you where planning to use as ring tone and you will see that it has the same quality as the original MP3 and you can select it as a ring tone. Cool eh? This process isn’t as easy as just uploading a MP3 directly but on the otherhand it does not take more than 20 sec to start the application and add the DRM to a MP3, so it’s not a big problem. The disadvantage is that the sounds can’t be passed on, just like other DRM protected sounds. And then of course this does not solve the actual problem. I really can’t understand why VF want to change a working firmware to something that doesn’t work especially since I find it hard to understand that someone really want to use the K700i as a fully functional MP3-player, but I suppose VF believes that =)

Written by PatRaven at www.engvall.nu
W w w . e n g v a l l . n u
If you like this article spread the word!
stevehulse
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 14:28
I've downloaded the DRM packager and made a file, uploaded it to my vodafone phone. It will play on the phone, but still not able to use it as a ringtone
LOCOM3
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 16:40
I am using the R2V001 firmware and it works very well and I dont believe this should be different with any other firmware. Did you use the "forward-lock" method of applying the DRM? My Drmpackager had that option as default though it might be different on yours perhaps?! The "Combined Delivery" works in general as well depending on what settings you apply to it (be smart). A working MP3 should have the MP3 icon + a key icon to the right of it while browsing the sounds folder of the k700i...

Happy bughunt... =)

// Pat!

[ This Message was edited by: LOCOM3 on 2004-10-03 15:41 ]
50Cent
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 16:52
if u have the firmware to load onto K700 use this guide

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=70831

Trusted Trader: 50Cent (+6, -0)
MikLSP
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 18:17
My solution was to buy a proper K700 in the first place so I enjoy MP3 with on messing about and a pretty menu.

I know you already know this but I can't help rubbin it in!

se-nse-a-win;Sell Any Item;[url=http://A-ZoTT.com]A-ZoTT.com[/
agent_smith
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 18:40
LOCOM3 you are an absolute legend! The DRM packager works fine! I've been waiting for a solution to this for ages! By the way, you do need to have a newer firmware for it to work, because the original vf firmware of the k700i would not even let you set the default mp3s (the SE ones) as ringtones. The same process works for the S700i as well. Nice one mate!
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 18:41
@LOCOM3 I will give credit were credit is due and well done for finding the solution to the problem...
LOCOM3
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-03 19:34
Thanks for the standing ovations =)

Hi agent_smith,

The R2V001 firmware (which is the latest right?) of mine didnt let me set the default SE mp3s as ring tones either.

Regs // Pat! a.k.a LOCOM3
agent_smith
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-04 21:22
Hi LOCOM3,

I think you're right in saying that it is the latest firmware, although to be honest I'm not sure. All I know is that when the original VF K700i came out, there was a bug in the software that didn't even let you set the SE mp3s as ringtones. A later firmware release meant that the SE mp3s were displayed in the sounds menu with the little key symbols next to them, meaning that you could only set those mp3s as ringtones, not regular ones that you may have transferred to your phone. The S700i is now the same because its pretty much the same software on it. FYI, in the future any VF phones (not just SE ones) with MP3 functionality with locked in this way, meaning you won't be able to set them as ringtones, however thanks to you and the DRM packager there shouldn't be any problems with any phone! Thanks again!
CapnCrunch
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-04 21:44
My K700 has the R2V001 firmware, and the original ringtones are not displayed with a keysymbol, so i guess they're not DMR-protected. I transferred the same mp3 from my laptop via BT twice, one that I ran trough DMRpackager and one without, the dmr file showed with a key and were able to be used as a ringtone. The regular mp3 couldn't be used as ringtone.

Is there anyone that have tried to transfer a dmr file to a k700 live with the original firmware? Then we would now if its true that that fw had a bug that prevented it from playing even that kind of file.

Thanks for the initial post, I had the same idea when it was explained that protected files would work, but I never managed to find a program that could do the dmr-stuff

agent_smith
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-05 02:22
The original firmware did have a bug in it, which is why you couldn't even set the embedded mp3s as ringtones, the new firmware has been updated so you can, and only DMR packaged mp3s (which the new embedded mp3s are) can be set as ringtones, and these will be sold on VF Live I'm guessing. But now we can set our own mp3s as ringtones! I believe that stevehulse has the original firmware, which is why his DMR mp3s won't set as ringtones. What gets me is that if Vodafone did it because of music publishing copyrights or whatever, than how come the other network branded handsets allow mp3 ringtones?

[ This Message was edited by: agent_smith on 2004-10-05 01:29 ]
LOCOM3
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-05 10:10
agent_smith,

Thanks for clarifying some things... Regarding why VF acts they way they do I have read that; They really do support the music industry and the DRM protection since that is a company policy based on some agreements between VF and the leading musicindustry e.g Sony.

regs // Pat!
CapnCrunch
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-05 14:02
The original firmware did have a bug in it, which is why you couldn't even set the embedded mp3s as ringtones, the new firmware has been updated so you can,

...well thats whats strange as i mentioned inmy post, i have the new firmware, and can use my self made drm-mp3s as ringtones. But the SE-ones cannot still be used. Not that I care, but this means that the mp3s supplied from SE in my phones doesen't have dmr

[ This Message was edited by: CapnCrunch on 2004-10-05 13:03 ]
Arnaudt
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-10-06 08:31
Hey,

When I use 'forward-lock' it doesn't work. Someone said to use 'combined-delivery', but what settings do I use for that? Sorry to be a pain, I just really want this to work. Thanks!!

A
LOCOM3
K700
PM
Posted: 2004-10-06 12:28
Hi CapnCrunch,

Yep you are correct the SE sounds does not have DRM. It would have been better if VF had replaced those with DRM protected ones of their choice. Since then, at least the customers would be able to use one of them directly instead of paying to download DRM protected ring tones, which can be hard to find for some customers.

Hi Arnaudt,

You should be able to use Forward lock but try with a Combined Delivery and see if that works. Select combined delivery and set the rights to Start time = Today with time correct according to your mobilephone. I believe you can set it to for example tomorrow at lunch, if you want the sound to start working tomorrow. It seemed that way on my phone though I havent tried the Combined Delivery very much since Forward Lock works fine by me... What firmware do you have?

Best regards // Pat! a.k.a LOCOM3

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi