Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson V800 discussion

Previous  123 ... 181920 ... 575859  Next
Author Sony Ericsson V800 discussion
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-31 22:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Seen no mention of it yet, but have released the V800 white paper on their dev. site.

V800 White Paper
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-10-31 23:15
now it stated V800 has a 32MB internal memory....
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-10-31 23:49
yep.... and a few things more..... like more DRM protection to be expected...... done a lot of reading tonight

man oh man i want this phone
McKinley
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 09:59
I also want this phone but I have already ordered Samsung SGH-D500 which I think looks good and could be a good replacer to my S700 which unfortunately is to big for my taste. The problem is that I want V800 very much now and could easilly buy one with Vodafone.
So what do you guys think about it? Stick with Samsung SGH-D500 or buy a Sony Ericsson V800?
Thanks in advance

[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2004-11-01 09:00 ]
ThreeX
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 10:03
Personally i would never buy a Samsung again, and definetly not stick to it
On the other hand, i havent gotten used to the V800´s look yet, but maybe it will grow on me like the T610 once did..
A Ericsson Lund employed friend of mine also didn´t like his V800 at first, but now actually likes it more than the Z1010.
Happy owner of: Ericsson GH198, S868, SH888, R310s, T10s, T28s, A2618s, T39m x2, T68m, T66, SE t68i, T610, S700i, Nokia 2110i, 6210, 8310, 8850, 8890 and 6680 Siemens S55
gareb
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 10:04
@Vlammetje

What's DRM?
Georgia aint no paradise. But a place I call home.
what
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-01 10:27
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

DRM means Digital Rights Management you can read more on this site.
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-01 10:31
[start rant on DRM policies]

Digital Rights manager (I think) it's all about adding 'rights' to media files (possibly also themes ) which means in the long term and / or vodafone might implement on each device that only media files with proper identification (DRM signature which allows the user to use the file) will be played/accepted/displayed by the phone.

Of course those DRM protected files don't come for free (this has got to be why Vodafone is such a big pusher of the development) but need to be purchased. Vodafone Live!!!

Meanwhile, making themes myself, some of them hand drawn or based on my own holiday snaps, I feel very very very sceptical about this development. I'd hate to have to add digital right to my own created stuff just so my phone will accept it, because apparently the ppl who manufactured my phone or sold it to me think that I and everybody else are likely to use illegal content if they don't stop us.

I can only wonder where this will lead... but I'm not terribly optimistic right now.

[/end rant on DRM policies]
lynn
T630
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 11:15
@ Vlammetje

have u started planning for themes for the v800? can i "custom order" mine from you yet?
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-01 11:32
Lynn, I am definitely planning to do themes but unfortunately no orders yet please.

Problem is, the animated parts of the theme, as seen from the video earlier in this thread that rog posted...... appear to be part of the firmware rather than the theme.

I've got the theme sitting on my home PC, thanks to jamin who was kind enough to share it, however it is NOT the same as previous themes.

I can definitely create a working .thm file. I even suspect which parts of the 'flying dots' animation can be manipulated colourwise..... but from what I see so far there will always be 'flying dots' in some way or other. Their colour can be altered but so far that is all I know and without a few more themes to break down I can't really do much.

I'm going to try and create a theme later on this week...... hopefully jamin or slass or any other person with a V800 factory unit will be willing to test it. One of the things we need to know is if a wallpaper in a theme will cover the flying dots animation there (I suspect it will ) and if the dots in the highlight are permanent or not.

Also the actual build ot the theme (the .xml file) is different from previous themes and it will take some attention to replicate it properly. I'll keep ya posted...... if I get one working version out and we know what it does I guess I might do more soon

One thing I can tell you is that the images used in the theme are the exact same as the images in Z1010 themes. So we know the dimensions...... now it would be interesting to know if the phone is capable of converting Z1010 themes

In any case I'll have a go at it because i'm soooo intrigued

For info on more v800 theming news keep an eye on this thread on Mobile 9 where I will hopefully be posting my progress
Axe
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 13:00
Something interesting happened to me this weekend. When I was out shopping in Malmö (Swedens third largest city, near SE's headquarters in Lund, for those who did not know that) I saw a guy walking past me talking in a V800 (Vodafone barnded)! Nosey as I am, I followed him until he stopped talking and confronted him. He quickley put the phone in his pocket so I barely had a chance to see it. I told him I noticed his phone and asked him if he liked it. He did not seem willing to talk about it but he said that he liked the phone very much. Then I asked him if he thought I should buy it. He said yes but then he said something sort of worrying; that I would have to wait for about a month. Was it not supposed to come this week :'(
So, to sum it up, I got good news and bad news. Good: a guy likes it!
Bad: according to this guy it will be out in the end of November. Still, he could be wrong and if he is not, a month is not that much anyway.

And, good luck with the themes, Vlammetje!
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-01 13:12
thanks axe!

I've been in a vodafone citypoint store 9actually 3 of them in different cities) last wednesday to make inquiries.

Most of the staff had no idea at all what phone I was talking about or that it is about to be released. One girl did tell me something of interest though, she said that all voda NL staff is to receive training on the new UMTS network, the services and plans voda will offer and so on and so forth. She said training is due in this week or next week and the phones will be released after staff has been properly trained.

In other words she said it might well be a few more weeks...... but she was adamant that release would be in November.

I guess patience is the word (again)...

scaleo
K750
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 13:41
=/

[ This Message was edited by: scaleo on 2004-11-01 12:42 ]
Axe
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 14:31
Well, seems everything points to second half on November then. It is not that far away anyhow...
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2004-11-01 16:10
@Vlam
Yo man.. gdluck on ur theme creator... I wud really like to customize ma phone... thats wat i did on my Z600... I bet u did it too.. if works well.. dun mind sending me the program ya!!

@Axe
Wonder why he felt like not talking?? I know i wud if i had the phone...
HHmmm... so all this evidence leads to one thing.. V800 launching is delayed by a few weeks.... However does this means.. the unbranded version will be delayed aswell???
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 181920 ... 575859  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic