Forum > General discussions > Esato forum > Suggestion: Show entire thread

Author Suggestion: Show entire thread
Alf Nif
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-12 13:31
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi!

I was just reading one of the longer threads here on Esato and was getting tired of clicking "next" every 5:th second (quick reading through the posts) so I wonder if you could make a function "show entire thread" that lists the entire thread for reading.

I know that the bad sides of the function is that the server gets alot of job for a few seconds and that modem users will wait forever using it. But with the last part, if you don't wanna wait - don't use it.
Alf Nif
formerly known as seiunUsagi
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-12 13:35
It'd crash a lot of mobile phones if you clicked it. That's why it's only 5 how the first place.

This message was posted from a Z600

Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-12 13:35
Do you mean for threads like the Gulf War/George bush threads? Where you can see from post 1 to the latest post on one page?

If so, then yes,that's a good idea, especially given that a lot of posts in those threads I gave as an example can be very long-winded, and take nearly a page up in themselves. I too do find it a little annoying to be forever hitting the 'next' or 'previous' buttons when reading through a lot of posts in a long thread!

It does though have to be an option only to do that - those on dial-up would have a nightmare waiting for the equivalent of pages and pages worth of posts, pictures, links, etc. loading up!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2004-09-12 15:19
Something like a printer friendly format is urgent. At least we can put a 100 threads inn one page. I usually, click on each thread and then disconnect to read them. Please laffen add that option too will you?

This message was posted from a T230

mixin
T66 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-12 15:21
Show all posts on the UK thread would be rather interesting
Vlammetje
C702 Cyan
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-12 15:28
I guess it would finally provide me with a reason to start using ascending posts instead of descending.... can't imagine having to weed through all that
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-09-12 15:35
while this is a good suggestion when I have thought about it before my thoughts were that I would like to have the ability to email the whole thread to myself.

this gives me the ability to read it offline on the plane or whatever and also the ability to search through the individual thread on my pc for something I know is there but cannot easily find with the esato search because you cannot limit that to an individual thread

I guess though that if its all displazed on one web page I can also use the browsers search function to find what I need too
BOSSHOGG
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-12 17:43
Silly me. I thought cos if mentioned 5th he meant esato light. You get about 20 posts on the full site, don't you? You can't read anything and take it in in 5 seconds.

This message was posted from a Z600

Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-12 17:49
I vote for that. That is a good idea as I find myself clicking on the page numbers to find a certain thread.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-12 18:08
Quote:

On 2004-09-12 13:35:33, Sammy_boy wrote:
... a lot of posts in those threads I gave as an example can be very long-winded ...

Are you trying to insinuate something?

@all

I think that this could be a good idea, especially for longer threads. An option to switch between modes is obviously necessary.
"I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Alf Nif
W902 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-09-12 18:08
@BOSSHOGG don't know if it will be on the WAP format of the site, and of course it will be a link "see entire thread".

A printable version would be fun too. Nice idea govigov
Alf Nif
formerly known as seiunUsagi
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-09-12 18:19
@scotsboy - never!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi